Cultural eating habits - tell us about yours

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This thread has been pretty interesting; have to say though its making me feel a bit sorry for the Americans :( bread that's extra sweet? That would drive me nuts. I've been told America has a lot more sugar in most of their cereals, but didn't realise it extended to things like bread. I have enough trouble with sugar here; it must be an extra challenge for you guys over there!

I remember the popcorn at the cinema here used to be really nice, salty and savory. (Australia.) A few years ago though it tasted like it had been mixed up with powdered sugar! Tasted all sweet, it was not what I was expecting and was just nasty. I had hoped it was just a one off accident, but a few months later tried again; nope, still sweet. Recently my friend bought some so I tried it; not as sweet as previous occasions but still, you can taste it in there. Makes me sad that they've ruined something good just to make it more addictive & sell more product. :frown: PLUS ITS ALWAYS STALE NOW! :explode:

I feel the same about sweet popcorn because I grew up with salty, no other flavors or butter added, popcorn. When I tried it, it just felt odd! Here, unless something is a dessert it's not supposed to have any sugar in it. It's very easy to avoid sugar where I live because you know exactly what has it. The hardest thing was to make my bread portions smaller. We eat a lot of bread, and a 100 g (3.5 oz) pita is what our small pita looks like. Fresh, hot, still air puffed made in front you of pita.
  • bitterpeaches
    Options
    I'm an ABC (American Born Chinese) who grew up in the West Coast but my parents are Chinese born in Vietnam

Breakfast weekday: When I was younger it was a glass of milk or maybe a bowl of cereal. Now that I'm older, it's usually a bottle of tea, some fresh fruit with maybe some pocky or pretz sticks. My parents eat oatmeal or some sort of bread/peanut butter for breakfast
    Breakfast weekend: I never wake up early enough for breakfast on weekend, but when I was younger and I watched cartoons in morning, it was (frozen pizza, scrambled egg with soysauce over rice, vienna sausages with rice)

Lunch: It varies. But it usually includes rice.
    - Tofu
    - Steamed vegetables
    - Fried egg with soy sauce
    - Some sort of stewed meat
    -Stirfry
    - Sandwiches were also really big when I was in school out of convenience.

Dinner weekday: RICE. We usually have some sort of soup, be it tofu seafood soup, beet soup, vegetable soup.
    - Steamed fish
    - Stir fry

Dinner weekend: During the weekends, my mom has more time to prepare food so we usually eat Vietnamese food during the weekends
    - Homemade Pho
    - Bun Bo Hue
    - Spring Rolls
    - Hot Pot
    - Bun.. a lot of meals with Bun (noodles) in it.
    - A lot of fish sauce.
    - And once in a while we have Spaghetti or Japanese Curry or Dubokki just because. Haha.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This thread is fascinating, and now I'm hungry!!

Midwest US here...

Weekday Breakfast: Oatmeal or cereal
    Weekend breakfast: Pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon, sausage

Weekday lunch: Soup, sandwich, frozen meal, fast food burger and fries
    Weekend lunch: Leftovers or sandwiches/burgers

Weekday Dinner: Chicken or fish with a carb and a veggie (steamed)
    Weekend dinner: Same as weekday, but in larger portions and with beer!
    You're missing the casseroles :)
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pig Pickins sounds amazing!

I have very fond memories of Pig Pickins. :)
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I'm from Missouri so not Southern or Northern...but I can definitely relate to the attitude about food! Very similar here.

And ketchup is a big thing in my circle of family/friends as well. They put it on meat, eggs, slather it on burgers and even some sandwiches. I am not a huge ketchup fan but I do actually love it in my brown bean "soup" and on green beans.

I got used to ketchup on eggs while in the Navy (powdered scrambled eggs are disgusting- anything to hide the taste) but can NOT get over ketchup on steak. Whenever I'm at a nice steak house and I see someone dipping their $30 steak in ketchup, I'm softly screaming "Noooooooooo!" in anguish inside my head.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    USA. In the words of the great Louis C.K.

"I don’t stop eating when I’m full. The meal isn’t over when I’m full. It’s over when I hate myself."
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Maryland - in the DC/NoVA Metro Area and meals were pretty simple:

Weekday Breakfast: Cold Cereal with Milk
    Weekday Lunch: Sandwich (generally PB&J on white bread), a cookie, and milk from a carton
    Weekday Dinner: Whatever Mom could throw together in less than 30 mins - usually fish sticks w/fries, Hamburger Helper, the list goes on and on of horrible foods

Weekend Breakfast: Sat more Cold Cereal with Milk or toast instead if we wanted to make it ourselves
    Weekend Lunch: Grab & Go, more sandwiches and snacks
    Weekend Dinners: Tuna Noodle Casserole, Roasted Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, etc.

Holidays were when Mom actually cooked a decent meal - dessert & soda's only came during those holidays; instead Lipton Tea Mix, Milk and Kool-Aid were staples in our house for drinking.

Now as an adult I live in Southeastern NC and while the culture is vastly different in terms of food I've brought a lot of my childhood foods with me my kids get either Cold Cereal w/Milk, A frozen Aunt Jemima Breakfast, Pop Tarts or Toast w/Peanut Butter on it, while I east Oatmeal during the week and scrambled egg whites w/wheat toast on the weekends. The kids will sometimes request pancakes, waffles, or eggs for weekend breakfast and I'll oblige.

Weekday Lunches consist of a sandwich for the kids w/a snack (usually cookies, chips, popcorn or pretzels) and a fruit w/a Juice Box; my lunch varies day to day but is usually a sandwich, salad, fruit, pita chips w/hummus, and more fruit w/Water

Weekend Lunch is usually for them leftover Pizza from Friday night, or something out of can, or even a Kid Cuisine Meal - while I'll have a 1/2 Ham & Cheese Sandwich with Salad and Fruit or Pita Chips/Hummus and Fruit.

Weekday Dinners are no different than our weekend dinners - just that I go for the simpler versions during the week, usually a protein, a starch, a veggie/fruit (depending on the protein) and a bread. Sometimes I'll even make breakfast foods for dinner (waffles, pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc.)

A hodge podge of foods honestly
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian (Prairies), with Swedish background, and I think I ate pretty typically for a Canadian kid from a relatively small city. Cereal, toast, and fruit for breakfast. Sandwiches and raw vegetables with something sweet for lunch. Meat, vegetables or salad, and rice or potatoes or pasta for dinner. Milk and orange juice and water. Dessert once a week or so. Lots of dairy generally, cheese and yogurt and sour cream and butter. Today I eat much less meat, starch, and full-fat dairy than I did as a kid and more vegetables, but my parents were always pretty good about feeding me balanced meals with enough energy to keep me going. My mother has always prided herself on being a good cook and making healthy and good-tasting food and I think she did a good job of it as best she knew how in the 80s and 90s (although she did use stuff like canned soup and bottled sauce which neither of us would ever use now, but tastes have changed and cream of mushroom casseroles are no longer in fashion.)
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I missed it, but I figured I'd throw in some Salvadorean culture

Breakfast: Eggs, refried beans, fried plantain, crema, hard cheese and fresh corn tortillas.... COFFEE (all day everyday)!!!

Lunch: Usually soup (fish soup, beef bone soup) and corn tortillas

Dinner: Heavy stuff-- Pupusas, tamales, rice and beans, always crema and hard cheese

And some lovely sweet breads to dip in coffee are always a must!

This isn't an everyday thing for us since we live in Canada, but I can say this would be a traditional day of nomminess if I am visiting my mom's place!

I grew up in Texas and one thing I miss the most is frito pie :brokenheart:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Meat and Potatos

This except I am a new englander so throw in some chowda as well

It still fits - chowda is just (sea) meat and potatoes drowned in cream. :tongue:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I missed it, but I figured I'd throw in some Salvadorean culture

Breakfast: Eggs, refried beans, fried plantain, crema, hard cheese and fresh corn tortillas.... COFFEE (all day everyday)!!!

Lunch: Usually soup (fish soup, beef bone soup) and corn tortillas

Dinner: Heavy stuff-- Pupusas, tamales, rice and beans, always crema and hard cheese

And some lovely sweet breads to dip in coffee are always a must!

This isn't an everyday thing for us since we live in Canada, but I can say this would be a traditional day of nomminess if I am visiting my mom's place!

I grew up in Texas and one thing I miss the most is frito pie :brokenheart:

Frito pie! That is a very BIG thing in my area (Joplin, Missouri) as is "spaghetti red" (spaghetti with a certain type of chili on top which is somewhat watery with very finely ground meat).
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Sweet tea... fried foods.... lots of carbs with every meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

I'm from France - Paris suburbs.

Breakfast was typically croissants, cereal, or toast with jam (although my brother got a nutella sandwich every morning for years). Sometimes eggs.
    No morning snack, although a lot of people I worked with would have coffee and a croissant mid morning.
    Lunch - if in a rush, a baguette sandwich, otherwise it's pretty much a real meal - meat, veggies, some carbs etc. And cheese and dessert of course. I don't know anyone who's ever packed their lunch. A lot of workplaces have cafeterias and otherwise smaller companies give people meal coupon so they eat for free at local restaurants.
    Goûter at 4pm - usually 'biscuits' (cookies), or puddings/yogurt or more croissants (most adults don't eat that meal as far as I know).
    Apéritif - around 7pm, when you have guests - cocktails and nuts, pretzels, goldfish and other salty snacks
    Dinner at 8pm - same as lunch

But I haven't lived there for 12 years so who knows what they're doing now. The food itself was not that different, except I ate a lot of croissants, we don't have those birthday cakes like here (typically they are fancier cakes with no icing), sandwiches typically come on a baguette (so more like subs I guess), portions are smaller. They also have a HUGE selection of yogurts and refrigerated puddings compared to the US. Seriously, it's insane. And I miss that the most. And cheese always comes before dessert... we always had a plate dedicated to cheese in the fridge.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    USA. In the words of the great Louis C.K.

"I don’t stop eating when I’m full. The meal isn’t over when I’m full. It’s over when I hate myself."
    That's one of my favorite Louis C.K. quotes! But you know he's Mexican, right? :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I'm American and in my 30's. When I was growing up in the Midwest basically everyone I knew ate like this, except for a handful of people I knew who ate "weird healthy food" and that really just meant a lot more variety in their salads and huge glasses of whole milk for children & preteens at dinnertime.

Breakfast:
    Pop Tarts, Toaster Strudel (frozen pastry with a packet of frosting to squeeze on top after toasting), or sugary breakfast cereal with milk.
    For "health nuts", a less sugary cereal (Cheerio's or Kix for example) with skim or lowfat milk.

Lunch:
    School lunch like turkey & noodles, canned peas, a huge yeast roll, and strawberry gelatin with bits of canned pineapple inside, and a carton of chocolate 2% milk.
    OR
    Wonder (white) bread with bologna, cheese & mustard, small bag of Doritos, and a Kudos bar (glorified chocolate bar) and a juice box

Dinner:
    Hamburger Helper, salad of iceberg lettuce with chopped tomato and ranch dressing, slice of cake (from a mix) for dessert
    OR
    3-4 slices of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut
    OR
    chili on top of spaghetti, frozen peas, big slice of garlic bread and a Dr. Pepper

Pretty horrendous.
    Perfect! (I lived a bit further north than you though) We never had anything but sugar cereal for breakfast; pop tarts were expensive and Toaster Strudel didn't exist yet. Very occasionally on weekends, a "treat" like waffles, pancakes, french toast or eggs and bacon.

Don't forget those nasty fried "burritos" they put in school lunches! (and Kudos were not invented yet when I was a kid-- my sack lunch was a baloney and "cheese" on white bread with Miracle Whip, maybe an apple or fruit rollup, and Kool-Aid in my thermos) That's pretty spot-on though.

My dad was an a-hole and made my mom fry chicken almost every night though (pork chops or ham patties and *very* occasionally meat spaghetti otherwise), usually corn or green beans from a can, mashed potatoes and if we had dessert, probably jello or pudding.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Texas

Beef, beef, and more beef, with a side of pork, preferably brisket with a side of sausage.
    Tex-Mex foods like tacos, enchiladas, and always served with refried beans.
    Chips and salsa all day long.
    I could go on and on about desserts like banana pudding, peach cobbler, and fried ice cream.
    My particular area of Texas has a lot of German food, too, so I am frequently eating schitzel and spoetzl (sp?).
    You mean Spätzle?! Spoetzl is the family name of the brewers of Shiner Bock!:laugh:

Don't forget about queso (melted cheese and chilis to dip your chips in along with the salsa). And breakfast tacos (for the uninitiated, usually scrambled eggs with some combination of the following: chorizo, bacon, breakfast sausage, potato, cheese and always with salsa). I could probably go for many weeks with every single meal containing at least one tortilla! :laugh:

Oh, and don't forget pecan pie!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm American and in my 30's. When I was growing up in the Midwest basically everyone I knew ate like this, except for a handful of people I knew who ate "weird healthy food" and that really just meant a lot more variety in their salads and huge glasses of whole milk for children & preteens at dinnertime.

Breakfast:
    Pop Tarts, Toaster Strudel (frozen pastry with a packet of frosting to squeeze on top after toasting), or sugary breakfast cereal with milk.
    For "health nuts", a less sugary cereal (Cheerio's or Kix for example) with skim or lowfat milk.

Lunch:
    School lunch like turkey & noodles, canned peas, a huge yeast roll, and strawberry gelatin with bits of canned pineapple inside, and a carton of chocolate 2% milk.
    OR
    Wonder (white) bread with bologna, cheese & mustard, small bag of Doritos, and a Kudos bar (glorified chocolate bar) and a juice box

Dinner:
    Hamburger Helper, salad of iceberg lettuce with chopped tomato and ranch dressing, slice of cake (from a mix) for dessert
    OR
    3-4 slices of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut
    OR
    chili on top of spaghetti, frozen peas, big slice of garlic bread and a Dr. Pepper

Pretty horrendous.
    Perfect! (I lived a bit further north than you though) We never had anything but sugar cereal for breakfast; pop tarts were expensive and Toaster Strudel didn't exist yet. Very occasionally on weekends, a "treat" like waffles, pancakes, french toast or eggs and bacon.

Don't forget those nasty fried "burritos" they put in school lunches! (and Kudos were not invented yet when I was a kid-- my sack lunch was a baloney and "cheese" on white bread with Miracle Whip, maybe an apple or fruit rollup, and Kool-Aid in my thermos) That's pretty spot-on though.

My dad was an a-hole and made my mom fry chicken almost every night though (pork chops or ham patties and *very* occasionally meat spaghetti otherwise), usually corn or green beans from a can, mashed potatoes and if we had dessert, probably jello or pudding.

lol...I'm glad you could relate (and a bit sorry for you too hehe). But we're the same age (within a year) so I think Kudos and Toaster Strudel did exist ;-)

Lunch...I almost forgot about thermoses. Filled with Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, or super salty Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup of course...in your plastic or metal character themed lunchbox! hehe

I remember being jealous of a friend of mine because her packed lunches always included a can of regular Coke (I was drinking diet by age 6), kiwifruit (EXOTIC to my 1980s child self) and string cheese. I thought string cheese was the best thing EVER!
  • LozzaCozza93
    Options
    Northern English ex mining town.

Breakfast - porridge/toast/plain cereal, unless its a weekend when we have a full English- sausage, egg, bacon, black pudding, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread/bread, hash browns, toast.

Dinner - Traditionally would be a full cooked meal with meat, veg, Yorkshire puddings, potatoes or pie. Or fish on Friday cause ages ago loads of fish was going to waste so the government banned meat on Fridays. So now some people get fish and chips on Friday as a tradition. But I just have a salad or a sandwich.

Tea (we call dinner tea up North & lunch, dinner) - Stew (made in a big pan eaten over a few days- with; pancakes/Yorkshire pudding/dumplings/tea cakes (bread cakes) for variation), the stew might be cooked into a pie for dinner the next day, roast dinner or sandwiches & crisps if dinner was eaten late.

COLLOSSAL PORTIONS that haven't changed since they had to keep Granddad lively chipping away at the coal face with an axe.

I live with my parents so I don't get to choose what is cooked. Its normally either the above or spaghetti bolognaise, pizza, chicken curry, chicken fajitas all made with sauces out of packets or jars, its so tragic. They think they're being so adventurous too.

My Grandad wouldn't tolerate salads/jacket potatoes he said its a poor mans meal and wouldn't let me order it in cafes lest I bring shame upon the family, and he regarded pizza as 'foreign crap' and refused to try it.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Chiming in from New Jersey, USA!

**Disclaimer - I was not born here! My husband was, and he was dumbfounded when I didn't know what it was.**

Taylor Ham, or Pork Roll, if you will. (But really - Taylor Ham.) It's really super spiced pork roll, and it's the most amazing thing ever made for breakfast. Even better than bacon, IMO. EVERYWHERE serves it. But of course, it's super unhealthy, haha. You fry it up and toss it in a breakfast sandwich or just eat it plain, but it's sooo good. (If you get super lucky and find it outside NJ, near the bacon, try it. You won't regret it as a treat.)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    lol...I'm glad you could relate (and a bit sorry for you too hehe). But we're the same age (within a year) so I think Kudos and Toaster Strudel did exist ;-)

Lunch...I almost forgot about thermoses. Filled with Kool-Aid, Hawaiian Punch, or super salty Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup of course...in your plastic or metal character themed lunchbox! hehe

I remember being jealous of a friend of mine because her packed lunches always included a can of regular Coke (I was drinking diet by age 6), kiwifruit (EXOTIC to my 1980s child self) and string cheese. I thought string cheese was the best thing EVER!
    I was imagining a mini-me before those things came out; I had already moved to Texas by the time those came out and mostly got free school lunch at that point, and we never could've afforded them anyway! Things were better when my kid sisters were coming up, and yes, then there was absolutely Toaster Strudel! What kind of lunchbox did you have? Mine was metal and it was Strawberry Shortcake.

It's interesting that you mention being exposed to "exotic" foods and having that be a positive experience. I felt the same way when I encountered bagels. Most kids are not that way at all when exposed to new foods. I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing in my case. Maybe if I wasn't so fascinated with novelty in food I wouldn't be here... :laugh: