2 Kids and can't lose weight

Options
Hi all,
Soo before i was pregnant with my first daughter (22 months ) i weighed about 140. When I had her I got up to about 190 and was 172 afterwards....and I stayed than until i found i was pregnant 7 months later with my son (5 months). With him I did not gain as much weight and got up to about 188 and went right back down to 172 about a week after having him.... I started to have some PP depression with him and was on Zoloft for a week and within that week i gained 8 pounds!!! it has been about a week since i stopped and I am 178. I am so frustrated because I have a pretty active lifestyle as i am a facilitator for a Ropes course and I don't eat crappy food.

i remember after my first born feeling defeated by my weight gain and I feel once again defeated know that this will never come off. I know everyone says give it time, but no matter what i do, i feel it won't go away. I am noticing my stomach, arms, and legs are starting to look like cottage cheese and it is effecting how i feel about myself.

i have been thinking about going on a weight loss/fat burner pill to help me but i don't know what will happen if i stop. I've been thinking about going raw vegan or something too....

I just feel completely frustrated... have any of you felt this and what did you do?

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Yep..every day. It can be overwhelming, but there is no magic solution that is going to help you lose the weight. Dedication, counting calories, lifting weights, and a butt load of paitence is the only thing that will get you to where you want to be.
  • beautifuldiskize
    Options
    I kept on an extra 15 pounds the entire time I was on Zoloft. I really hope that isn't why you stopped taking it. The positive effects you get from it are far better than worrying about a few extra pounds. I too suffered from PP depression and Zoloft saved my life.

Try eating every 2 hours. Small things. Celery, carrots, apple slices, almonds, etc.. Make sure you do ANY type of exercise. As much as you can during the day. Even parking further away from doors at the store helps.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand wanting to lose all the weight right away! I just had my second February and and my first turned two last October. You do have to remember your kids are very close in age and it really hasn't been that long. Sometimes it will feel as if it will take forever, but any progress is progress. I am vegan, but I actually went vegan for moral reasons. Doing diets or trying pills usually means initial loss and then regain. You need to find a sustainable lifestyle. Also you didn't gain 8 pounds in a week. Since your hormones were out of balance it most likely is water retention. I am counting calories, exercising daily, and watching my macros. I'm more worried about inches lost than weight really. So far its going really well and I'm pleased with my progress. Everytime I get upset that I'm not where I want to be or am hating my stretch marks I look at my boys and remember how awesome I am for carrying and then having them! I'll get there and so will you. Lots of hard work is yet to be had, but it will happen!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You remind me a lot of myself...

Like the poster above mentioned.. you need to have patience, dedication and determination. I have two children too, an extremely busier life than average and I have also suffered from depression for over 10 years. I am telling you this because you CAN achieve your goals, I have done it and I know you can too.

Taking burner pills is just a shortcut and will ultimately lead to failure both in the short-term and long-term. You need to count calories, lift and be more active. Walk/play with your kids, join a womans' (or mixed) sports group, gym. Do something you enjoy! Going vegan is your choice but I don't think cutting out meat and dairy is going to cause you to lose weight and keep it off forever (especially if you love meat and are just doing it because you want a quick fix).

Feel free to add me for support. I think it would helpful to you if you had a support system consisting of people who are parents, even if it's on MFP. Keep your head up
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I have an almost two year old. I lost 90 lbs and was fine at maintaining it, then I got pregnant. I've been struggling to lose the weight this time around. I now have a family, so I cook and shop for more than just myself. Full time job and part time student on top of it.

Honestly, it's not because I can't lose weight...it's because I'm doing the things that would cause me to lose weight. Do you log your calories? Do you log EVERYTHING, even oil and butter you cook with?

I eat low carb because that is the best way for me to achieve a calorie deficit. Do you feel raw vegan is the best way for you to do that? If so, then go for it, but don't do it because you think that it's the magical way to lose weight. I've always been overweight, so after having my child the struggle was nothing new to me. I keep thinking each time I get more serious about logging and exercise that this is IT, I'm really going to start. Well then, I have a day of too much and I feel so derailed and it snowballs.

Try logging HONESTLY everything you eat in MFP...that's the main purpose of it. Weigh your food, and log everything. You may find your eating more calories than you thought.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    From looking at the 1 day you actually logged... your food choices leave a LOT to be desired. No healthy proteins, no veggies, no fruits, lots of empty calories. So, for you saying you're doing EVERYTHING you can think of to lose weight, I doubt that.
    What you can/should do:

Start making healthier choices
    Start logging and getting a real sense of how many calories you're taking in. Weigh/measure everything.

You CAN lose the weight with healthy eating alone if you actually try to do so. Not trying to be mean... but it's time for some tough love. Good luck!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! One step at a time. Start logging. Better choices, let us help along the way.
    Exercise! It will help with the depression and weight. But if you Truly NEED meds then you need to consider going back on.

Its hard with two little ones, but you CAN do it.

Mine are now 4 and 6, but its still a busy life. Full time job, second job, raising kids, house, husband, etc.... but if its a priority you DO it.

Feel free to add me if you'd like

Nancy
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Your youngest is only 5 months old right? So just 5 months ago your body was doing one the most AMAZING things a human body can do....carrying and creating another human being! Your body is still adjusting to it's new state of not being pregnant, hormones are adjusting, and your body is too.

After my first, I gained some weight, but after a couple months of breastfeeding, the number on the scale was back to pre-pregnancy weight but nothing fit anymore, it was like everything shifted. And my pre-pregnancy weight was not ideal either, so I had that to conquer as well. That was over 5 years ago. It wasn't until I joined MFP in January 2013 and started REALLY paying attention to the calorie amount/per serving of the food I was eating and logging it everyday that I start losing weight. It didn't happen overnight, but it happened. And I am still on this journey, still have further to go. I go through highs and lows, ebbs and flows, but I refuse to ever let myself get back to where I was at the end of 2012.

Don't give up, don't get discouraged, you CAN do this!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Pills will just make you more frustrated especially when you realize you could have spent that money on something better.

Just log! Start just logging to see what you eat. Sometimes logging a normal day like you would eat if you weren't dieting is an EYE opener.

You don't need to spend countless hours exercising to lose weight. I know hours are limited with babies.

Feel free to add me. I'm a mommy too and I was at 180 in my 9th month. 4 years later, I'm 139 (and that is with a little gain in there from the initial drop). I can be done! You can do this! :)