newbie needs friends

Options
Hi ya'll. My name is Ashley and I'm 25. In the last year my life has changed drastically. Because of those life changes and doing nothing to combat those life changes I have gained about 30 pounds. I have a weakness for great craft beer. Quality over quantity, but it's still a lot of calories you don't need. I have a husband and two kids, I have been finding it hard to cook something that will help me lose weight, that the kids and my off the boat Irish husband will eat as well. I have felt, that my husband always just tells me he loves me no matter what and isn't really supportive about bringing junk food in the house. He has a big sweet tooth, loves greasy fatty Irish breakfasts, and loves to snack on chips. Unfortunately these are things that I enjoy as well. I just need added support outside of my house to keep me motivated, because I always fall into the unhealthy habits after a few days. I see my husband with his nightly candy bar or he asks me if I want a drink while I play cards with him... It's just hard. Before I moved to the middle of no where I had a gym membership and was able to go all the time. Now there isn't a gym within 40 miles. So I bought an elliptical, I have some Jillian Michaels dvds and Insanity. So it's all about keeping motivated at home. Add me and send me some kind words to keep me going. Every month I step on that scale and I see the number creeping higher and higher, I get so depressed. It's time to do something about it. When we go to the city to see our friends I am ashamed of how I'm letting myself go. Being a house wife is way harder than I thought it would be, but not in the way you would think. Especially in a new place. Not knowing anyone, not having an outlet, and then getting fat on top of all that. I'm so ready to make myself happy again.

Replies

• Turner327
    Options
    I love craft beer!!! its my only weakness!!!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In for being a beer "snob" :blushing:
  • JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ill send you a friend request :)
  • catawbalovely
    catawbalovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I live an hour away from Ommegang brewery. A couple weeks ago my best friend came up and we went and tried the new Game of Thrones beer fire and blood. I brought a couple bottles home with me.. It's really very good.
  • DuchessJaeBird
    Options
    Not a beer fan, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends. :-)
  • catawbalovely
    catawbalovely Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    haha that's all right. You don't have to like beer to be my friend.
  • burntpie
    burntpie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie up for a friend! I'll send a request.
  • Grammanut
    Grammanut Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie today too!!! 46, awesome husband and 2 sons that can eat any and everything!!! And now a fat Gramma LOL. Moved from the beach to acreage and a big beer fan also!!!!
    Right there with ya sister!!!
  • girly9irl
    girly9irl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well Welcome...I am certain you will find lots of love and support on here. Every journey begins with one step and good for you for taking that step. If I could offer any advice it would be to not look at any food as being good or bad. If you snack it...track it.

No idea what craft beer is.
  • mindyminor3
    mindyminor3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My second time around. just kept getting pregnant and went through a separation. needless to say , I need to refocus. Looking to have people motivate me and motivate others as well. I will send a request.
  • lumpy56lump
    lumpy56lump Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mmmmmm beer.... I like Ommegang, Saranac, Ithaca, Magic Hat, and Rogue
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    similar stories! I will send you a friend request :)
  • beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd time around too. My 57 years old, I have 2 foster kids, 2 biological kids (grown) 2 grandkids and 2 pugs and 1 puggle. I love beer also. I like Samuel Adams winter lager, I drink only occasionally though so beer is not my problem. I like eating anything that is junk, MFP helps me to keep up with what I'm eating and I set my calories at 1200 and when I get to that I'm done for the day. Please add me as a friend I need support also. Good Luck. (Treat yourself occ with a beer just add it to your calorie )
  • Jenny8511
    Jenny8511 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    We sound a lot alike :) I'll send you a request!
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    We sound just alike, a husband that loves us no matter what, a husband that eats what he wants LOL and a love of beer! Sending friend request now :) I have done Insanity in the past and do Jillian all the time, they are both great!
  • Bride2B1103
    Bride2B1103 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We have a lot in common! Especially beer...yum. Sending you a friend request :)
  • ackman2002
    ackman2002 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Elmira, that IS in the middle of no where. I have friends there. That's tough. I'm sure we can help you out.
  • joe_cox
    joe_cox Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

I had a similar situation. I lost about 80 lbs in 2013. I am a 27year old, 6 foot man who was pushing 300 lbs. I had tried and failed to lose wait MULTIPLE times. My wife was always supportive and understood how much I needed and wanted to lose the fat. The problem was that she got tired of spending money on expensive health foods and gym memberships only for me to quite 3 days in. This cycle happened MULTIPLE times. So When I VERY serious in September of 2012, I had a lot to prove, because she was not buying into it!

When I had lost about 25 pounds in the first month, she was intrigued, but still not convinced. She had seen me lose around 15 pounds 5 or 6 times only to gain in back within weeks. But by January 2013, I was down about 45 pounds. She knew I was for real.

The funny part is that as I got closer to my goal, she started losing "sympathy" weight we call it! I was insistent that the house be stocked with clean, whole foods and NO junk. She knew I was sticking to it, and slowly she jumped on board.

Stick with it, trust your gut, go after what you want. I'm sure you're guy will understand. It may just take some time. Try explaining that you are concerned for your long-term health. Tell him you're glad he loves you no matter your size, but just be honest... tell him you're not convinced, or whatever you feel... just tell him.

I wish you the best!
  • mamaspa4
    mamaspa4 Posts: 32
    Options
    I love BEER!!!! I will add you
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Craft beer is a downfall for many of us! I make sure to run the morning before enjoying a few pints.