p90x (the good, the bad, the ugly)

Options
So quick back story. I am brand new to MFP and my starting weight is 219 lbs. My goal weight is under 140. I am only 5'0. I have a thyroid disorder and a heart condition, but my cardiologist has cleared me for exercise, I am just supposed to listen to my body. I am 32 years old and was a competitive swimmer in high school and college. My husband had purchased the p90x system a year or 2 ago and then let it just gather dust in the closet. I want a structured workout program that I can add to my 30 minute every other day walks. I want to build lean muscle mass without having to go to a gym.

Tell me all about the program: Can I do it? Will I get results? Things to watch out for? modifications that I can make in the beginning? ect. I just want to hear from people with experience.

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I did p90x a few years ago for... maybe six months? It's great for overall conditioning, but it can be fairly intense. Did your doctor clear you for intense physical exercise or something more like brisk walking?

They always have three people doing the routines, each at varying levels of intensity, but even the light effort one is going to be about as taxing as a run, imho.

I personally think the most important part of the whole p90x thing is the meal plan, which sort of funnels people into a calorie deficit without actually calling it one.
  • Swimnessa
    Swimnessa Posts: 44
    Options
    I was cleared to do intense workouts and I can tax my body and stress it. My condition is related to the heart rhythm not its structure. I am just supposed to slow if I feel my heart skipping beats or racing without coming down during a rest period. I am lucky that my condition will not kill me, it just makes it uncomfortable and can feel like a panic attack if you dont know what it is.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will be doing much lean muscle mass building doing it but it should be good for someone starting out to break into the swing of things.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I haven't done p90x, but I've done other beachbody workouts. The key is to do what you can do - if using p90x motivates you to work out and you can do it safely, then do it, and don't be afraid to modify/rest as needed. You don't have to beat Tony on the first day. :)
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Tony is great about pressing modify modify modify and hitting pause when you need to. It's a very intense program. Go into it prepared to take a little longer breaks than are built in and you will definitely see your fitness level improve as the weeks progress. Weight loss, however, is mostly dependent upon your diet and running an appropriate (not extreme), calorie deficit that accounts for the burn you are going to get from P90X. Eat too much and you're not gonna lose weight. Eat too little and you are really gonna struggle with the program because even modified it is plenty taxing.