How to get rid of loose skin on legs

Options
When I was younger, I always had big legs. So after losing alot of weight in 2012, I concluded that my big legs are part of my body structure. However, I have alot of loose skin on my legs because of weight loss. I did a consultation recently with surgeon and he advised leg lift but the risks scared the hell out of me and I decided I'm definitely not going that way. So I'm back to square one....what to do about the loose skin on my inner thigh? Exercise has toned my leg muscles really well but it does not get rid of loose skin. I've been doing exercise for my legs since end 2012 and out of despair I went to the surgeon, but I feel that I would have to live with the loose skin on my legs now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Have you gotton a second or third opinion?
  • LuvonLuv
    LuvonLuv Posts: 68
    Options
    Have you gotton a second or third opinion?

No I did not...that first one scared me out of my wits. But I'm thinking if I go for consulation and you explain those scary risks to me, then you are not trying hard to sell your service...you're being frank about the risks. So I just don't want to do any surgery on my leg again.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    We have a lot in common. I have big legs too and so I run and do a lot of weight training. I've noticed that I have more definition and tone in my legs but the back of my legs are different. I can feel the muscle and see it when flexed but there's loose skin too because of the weight loss. My sister found a wrap that we are going to try this weekend. It helped her to loose an inch on each thigh. She also has a cream that she says has helped with the appearance of cellulite. I'm skeptical but willing to try anything other than surgery.

I'll send you FR and let you know if it works.
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    My sister found a wrap that we are going to try this weekend. It helped her to loose an inch on each thigh. She also has a cream that she says has helped with the appearance of cellulite. I'm skeptical but willing to try anything other than surgery.

I'm very interested to know if alternative methods work. I had tried a cream last year and wrapping with saran wrap but I did not see any difference and eventually stopped. Yet I have been constantly browsing the net and checking reviews of various products to deal with cellulite. So if would be great to hear of your results.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 17lbs to go and you're asking about loose skin?

Lose the 17 lbs, and anymore excess fat you might have, before you even think about consulting a plastic surgeon for a lift.

Lower your bodyfat, not just your weight. A lot of times "loose skin" is still mostly fat.

I've had terrible, wrinkled, sagging skin in my inner thighs during this journey. They looked awful after I'd lost about 100 lbs. Over the last 30 lbs however they inner thighs have shown much improvement as I've cut more fat. And they will continue to.

Often times you have that saggy, wrinkled look mostly because the body has decompacted the fat but enough of it is left to drag down the skin and give it that "loose skin" appearance. Best thing to do is cut the fat down as much as humanly possible. Even if you are left with excess skin, it'll look like thin, wrinkled spots, not chunks of wrinkled skin that needs a thigh lift.
  • travishalogod
    travishalogod Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So just so you know who i am and my basis of knowledge I am a certified personal trainer and i have also lost 110lbs and am currently a competitive bodybuilder. And excess skin is a rough subject for me as well, I have it all along my stomach, legs, butt, and chest. I refuse to get surgery because i have so far done everything naturally and through hard work and i personally feel its cheating. But, I have done a ton of research and done a lot of things that hvae tightened my skin up by about 80%. The number one thing is TIME. Over time, your body will naturally tighten itself up. You constantly lose skin and regrow it, your whole body 'sheds' every 27 days. This process is much slower if you are over 30 and it may never tighten to what you expect and the research suggests the only option is surgery.. If you exfoliate really well (your entire body) at least 3 times a week and put a good lotion on after you shower, i suggest cocoa butter, it will tighten on its own. There is not any product or wrap or anyting that will spot reduce fat or skin for you, it just takes time and patience, unless you want to cheat and get a lift done. I know a few people that have lost 100 plus pounds and were incredibally saggy but the skin tightened up like a snare drum over time. keep at it, stay patient and work out hard.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I was incredibly concerned about my elephant *kitten* (yes it literally looked like it!!) with the loose skin hanging!! I talked with my trainer about this and so now I am working on squats, kettlebells, lunges, burpees, weighted sled push and pulls, mountain climbers, bunny kicks and many other things to address this. I'm hopeful that this will help you, it's helping me!! I've got a long way to go yet about 55 lbs but I really can see the difference!!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says you have 17lbs to go and you're asking about loose skin?

Lose the 17 lbs, and anymore excess fat you might have, before you even think about consulting a plastic surgeon for a lift.

Lower your bodyfat, not just your weight. A lot of times "loose skin" is still mostly fat.

I've had terrible, wrinkled, sagging skin in my inner thighs during this journey. They looked awful after I'd lost about 100 lbs. Over the last 30 lbs however they inner thighs have shown much improvement as I've cut more fat. And they will continue to.

Often times you have that saggy, wrinkled look mostly because the body has decompacted the fat but enough of it is left to drag down the skin and give it that "loose skin" appearance. Best thing to do is cut the fat down as much as humanly possible. Even if you are left with excess skin, it'll look like thin, wrinkled spots, not chunks of wrinkled skin that needs a thigh lift.

^^^---- This! Before you even consider:
    chainsaw-animation-fast.gif
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Hey,

So just so you know who i am and my basis of knowledge I am a certified personal trainer and i have also lost 110lbs and am currently a competitive bodybuilder. And excess skin is a rough subject for me as well, I have it all along my stomach, legs, butt, and chest. I refuse to get surgery because i have so far done everything naturally and through hard work and i personally feel its cheating. But, I have done a ton of research and done a lot of things that hvae tightened my skin up by about 80%. The number one thing is TIME. Over time, your body will naturally tighten itself up. You constantly lose skin and regrow it, your whole body 'sheds' every 27 days. This process is much slower if you are over 30 and it may never tighten to what you expect and the research suggests the only option is surgery.. If you exfoliate really well (your entire body) at least 3 times a week and put a good lotion on after you shower, i suggest cocoa butter, it will tighten on its own. There is not any product or wrap or anyting that will spot reduce fat or skin for you, it just takes time and patience, unless you want to cheat and get a lift done. I know a few people that have lost 100 plus pounds and were incredibally saggy but the skin tightened up like a snare drum over time. keep at it, stay patient and work out hard.

I've discovered this too doing research and that's why I say no to surgery.

I just have to be more patient.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My sister found a wrap that we are going to try this weekend. It helped her to loose an inch on each thigh. She also has a cream that she says has helped with the appearance of cellulite. I'm skeptical but willing to try anything other than surgery.

I'm very interested to know if alternative methods work. I had tried a cream last year and wrapping with saran wrap but I did not see any difference and eventually stopped. Yet I have been constantly browsing the net and checking reviews of various products to deal with cellulite. So if would be great to hear of your results.

All wraps do is reduce water weight. It'll come back in a few days.
    There is no cream that treats cellulite. I'm sorry. It's the same with stretch marks.
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    I know a few people that have lost 100 plus pounds and were incredibally saggy but the skin tightened up like a snare drum over time. keep at it, stay patient and work out hard.

First of all, I appreciated your "tone" of writing...thanks. By chance, can you say how long it took for your acquaintances' skin to tighten up? You used the words "stay patient"...I've been patient for more than a year...lol, not patient enough? Joking about it but really want to know.