Best way to bump up your lifting workout?

Options
What is the best way to bump up your lifting workout? I never do things in the same order because I get board but when I find that what I'm doing isn't super challenging what should I do? Should I add more weight or more reps? Does it even matter as long as it is a challenge?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sticking with an actual program.

get over this "I get bored" stuff- most programs centered around base lifts- you'll be doing them for years.

and if you think the actual work is boring- add weight. things that are hard to pick up are not boring.

if you REALLY aren't digging it- try body weight resistance training.
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    sticking with an actual program.

get over this "I get bored" stuff- most programs centered around base lifts- you'll be doing them for years.

and if you think the actual work is boring- add weight. things that are hard to pick up are not boring.

if you REALLY aren't digging it- try body weight resistance training.

Couldn't agree more
  • 7213Melissa
    7213Melissa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Not really what I was asking but thanks for the replies.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You could try doing 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps, HEAVY weights). Or do a pyramids. Here's the legs pyramid I did the other day (weight for these should be what is appropriate for you - don't want necessarily super heavy due to number of reps, but something challenging):
    Calf Raises - 10 reps
    DB Deadlifts - 20 reps
    Body Weight Lunges - 30 reps
    Plie Squats (or sumo squats) - 40 reps
    Hip adduction with resistance band - 50 reps
    DB Deadlifts - 20 reps
    Calf Raises - 10 reps

It's just something to change things up a bit.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ???

I think you already got your answer/s but to reiterate...
    What is the best way to bump up your lifting workout?

Increase the intensity by adding more weight every workout until you can't hit the set amount of reps with good form.
    I never do things in the same order because I get board but when I find that what I'm doing isn't super challenging what should I do?

You always want to work your biggest muscle groups first. So if your workout consists of Deadlifts, Squats, Curls and Tricep Extensions, you would obviously do the Deadlift & Squats first. Don't know what to tell you about the boredom part...
    Should I add more weight or more reps? Does it even matter as long as it is a challenge?

I answered that above. More weight > more reps for strength gains.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options

then what are you asking? Jorocka and leadfoot have fabulous advice.
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    but when I find that what I'm doing isn't super challenging what should I do? Should I add more weight or more reps?

If what you are doing isn't challenging you, then definitely change it up. Add reps or add weight, it depends on your goals.

On a related note..I feel like taking a week off to "deload" and lift significantly lighter than you have been, will help you jump back in and lift heavier.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    but when I find that what I'm doing isn't super challenging what should I do? Should I add more weight or more reps?

If what you are doing isn't challenging you, then definitely change it up. Add reps or add weight, it depends on your goals.

On a related note..I feel like taking a week off to "deload" and lift significantly lighter than you have been, will help you jump back in and lift heavier.

Good advise - a deload every 4-6 weeks does wonders
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I don't have the best internet connection today so I'll put everything in just this one post. I am following a program that the coaches at my local Y handed out. It didn't however, specify when to increase weight or reps. I didn't know which one is best to do or why. I get very conflicting advice from the guys in the weight room so I was asking here. So my main question was which is best or does it matter? I understand that some may find picking up heavy things as not boring. Perhaps monotonous is a better word. I pick it up it's heavy , I pick it up it's heavy, I pick it up it's heavy, and so on. It IS for me a bit boring. I change the order that I do the lifts in because I give my all, so I am always exhausted when I get to the last few lifts and I want to make sure I give my all on all the lifts. I will certainly start using big muscles first. If you don't mind please tell me why that's important. I'm sure it is but its not something anyone has ever mentioned to me. And last why would you only add weight and not add more reps? Some of the guys in the gym only do reps of 5 some do reps of 15 and I've never known why. Several people said to add weight so I will, just wondering why that's the chosen option. Thank you all for the advice.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    If it wasn't' what you were asking- then perhaps you should be been more clear.

big muscles first because you don't want to fatigue all the little supporting muscles- go do a big lift and A. not get anywhere on your lifts and B. drop the sucker on your head when you fail sooner than you expected.

Progressive loading means you need to be adding weight- it doesn't have to be EVERY lift- but the idea is to get stronger. That won't happen if you stay at the same weight- you just stay the same.

So if it calls for 3 x 10 - and you can easily do the first 10 with no effort- it's not heavy enough.

as for reps- that depends on your goals.
    Are you tryign to get bigger?
    stronger?
    lift for longer?

strength is developed from rep ranges 1-5 (this is what lifting heavy is)
    strength and size is developed from 5-10
    Endurance is developed from 10-12

You need a clear goal before you decide what you want to do.

My original advice still remains since you appear to not have a good grasp on what you are doing so I'll reiterate- get on a program- a real program- one that the Y hands out is probably BS to be honest with you.

Get on an actual program if you want to lift.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I will certainly start using big muscles first. If you don't mind please tell me why that's important. I'm sure it is but its not something anyone has ever mentioned to me.

It's not only about using the biggest muscles first, but the exercise that uses the most muscles. Which exercise do you think is the most important - A Deadlift that uses 1/3 of the muscles in your body or a Bicep Curl, that uses about 3-5? The Deadlift obviously will be more important in overall strength gains being the most muscle mass is used.

And last why would you only add weight and not add more reps?

I typically give this advice as most people do waaaaaay too many reps with waaaaaay too little weight. Then they wonder why weight lifting is not working for them. As mentioned, it depend on your goals -

1-5 reps - Strength
    6-12 reps - Hypertrophy
    12+ - Endurance

Personally, I stay in the 1-5 rep range for the Compounds (Deadlift, Squat, Bench, etc.) and accessory work (Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, etc. I stay in the 8-10 rep range.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    Sorry site went down for maintenance while I was replying so some of the responses are very out of order.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    No problem :)

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting
    Wendlers 5/3/1 is good- if you have been doing some lifting- but sounds like you have more limited experience so I'd start with the ones above this first.

hope that is helpful!
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    If it wasn't' what you were asking- then perhaps you should be been more clear.

big muscles first because you don't want to fatigue all the little supporting muscles- go do a big lift and A. not get anywhere on your lifts and B. drop the sucker on your head when you fail sooner than you expected.

Progressive loading means you need to be adding weight- it doesn't have to be EVERY lift- but the idea is to get stronger. That won't happen if you stay at the same weight- you just stay the same.

So if it calls for 3 x 10 - and you can easily do the first 10 with no effort- it's not heavy enough.

as for reps- that depends on your goals.
    Are you tryign to get bigger?
    stronger?
    lift for longer?

strength is developed from rep ranges 1-5 (this is what lifting heavy is)
    strength and size is developed from 5-10
    Endurance is developed from 10-12

You need a clear goal before you decide what you want to do.

My original advice still remains since you appear to not have a good grasp on what you are doing so I'll reiterate- get on a program- a real program- one that the Y hands out is probably BS to be honest with you.

Get on an actual program if you want to lift.

I am sorry that wasn't very clear as to what I was asking. Thank for this information. That is very helpful. If you do not mind answering one more question, what is a real plan you would suggest?
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    I will certainly start using big muscles first. If you don't mind please tell me why that's important. I'm sure it is but its not something anyone has ever mentioned to me.

It's not only about using the biggest muscles first, but the exercise that uses the most muscles. Which exercise do you think is the most important - A Deadlift that uses 1/3 of the muscles in your body or a Bicep Curl, that uses about 3-5? The Deadlift obviously will be more important in overall strength gains being the most muscle mass is used.

And last why would you only add weight and not add more reps?

I typically give this advice as most people do waaaaaay too many reps with waaaaaay too little weight. Then they wonder why weight lifting is not working for them. As mentioned, it depend on your goals -

1-5 reps - Strength
    6-12 reps - Hypertrophy
    12+ - Endurance

Personally, I stay in the 1-5 rep range for the Compounds (Deadlift, Squat, Bench, etc.) and accessory work (Bicep Curl, Tricep Extension, etc. I stay in the 8-10 rep range.

Thank you especially the reps info. I didn't know any of that. It is very helpful!
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    No problem :)

starting strength
    strong lifts
    strong curves
    new rules of lifting
    Wendlers 5/3/1 is good- if you have been doing some lifting- but sounds like you have more limited experience so I'd start with the ones above this first.

hope that is helpful!
    Thank you! I will look up all of these.
  • 7213Melissa
    Options
    You could try doing 5x5 (5 sets of 5 reps, HEAVY weights). Or do a pyramids. Here's the legs pyramid I did the other day (weight for these should be what is appropriate for you - don't want necessarily super heavy due to number of reps, but something challenging):
    Calf Raises - 10 reps
    DB Deadlifts - 20 reps
    Hip adduction with resistance band - 50 reps
    DB Deadlifts - 20 reps
    Calf Raises - 10 reps

It's just something to change things up a bit.
    Thank you!
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5, there are two workouts and you alternate them. 3 lifts in each workout and you do five sets of five reps. I use the app so it's so easy to keep track of your reps and then if you complete the five sets it automatically adjusts your weight for the next time you do that lift...usually goes up in 2.5kg every time. The app is free for all devices :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What is the best way to bump up your lifting workout? I never do things in the same order because I get board but when I find that what I'm doing isn't super challenging what should I do? Should I add more weight or more reps? Does it even matter as long as it is a challenge?

you should always be trying to increase the amount of weight you lift...that's kinda the only way you actually get a training response.

In RE to rep ranges, different rep ranges are going to work different things. Low rep ranges (1-5) with heavy weight is for optimal strength. Mid level rep ranges 8-12 are optimal for hypertrophy (body building). 12+ is good for muscular endurance; however, there are much more efficient ways of working muscular endurance so it's just kind of a waste of time.

As others have said, you should be doing an actual program...trying to program your own routine without the requisite knowledge is a recipe for all kinds of issues, including muscular imbalances and injury...not to mention, your workouts are just going to be far less efficient and will ultimately waste a lot of precious time.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There are lots of good programs out there. SL5x5 and SS are commonly recommended for strength training (although personally I find them a bit boring). You've also got hybrid programs out there like PHAT (quite a bit more interesting) which focus on a mix of strength and hypertrophy work. I could go on, but first sort out your goals and then try to find a program that matches those goals and that you enjoy. There is no right answer that applies to everyone.