Excercises you did when you were Morbidly obese

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I really wish more obese and morbidly obese people would stop lamenting about joining a gym, or starting with high impact aerobics that they can't do well, and realize that we're made to walk, and it's a GREAT way to get into the swing of things.

Great for non obese people too. I'm a big fan.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I started CrossFit bootcamp done by a personal trainer when I was about 240. I am only 5'2!! I did one session, simply to let people enjoy laughing at the funny fat girl trying to exercise. I went back again, then again, then again........now its been 5 months and I am a bad *kitten*!!! :)
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Walking for sure, and my first few months I did a workout on the xbox kinect.
    If you check out hasfit.com and fitnessblender.com you can choose low impact and low difficulty levels. They seem to be a bit more interesting then any other youtube/internet videos.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Walking is great! Swimming is really good too, especially for your joints. I have a hard time with DVDs, I just can't get into them (and I have a bunch). If you have access to a gym, the elliptical is good, too. I have a bike, but only go bike riding in a closed-off park (I'm too afraid of traffic). But we go as a family and it's great fun, too. Good luck to you, sounds like you are on the right track!:smile:
  • melburkhart
    Options
    walking, also exercise bike almost everyday... i still do the exercise bike everyday.
  • CandaceG514
    CandaceG514 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When I started, I walked and then started Biggest Loser DVDs. They are great because they give you variations for all levels. He shows you steps to do that take out the jumping and don't use weights all the way up to advanced movements and you can always up the weights as you get stronger. When I started getting accustomed to the walking and it didn't seem like as much of a challenge, I started adding speed bursts and really all I could do at first was about 30 seconds but I can now run 12 miles! You are doing great, just keep going and you will get there!
  • mspiggy1178
    mspiggy1178 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bump for later (great information)

Congratulations on a great start. I am focusing on my diet/calories and walking. At first I could only walk very short distances, but now I am walking 2.5-3 miles about 2x/week. I don't try to keep pace with everyone else, I just walk at a speed that is comfortable while listening to my favorite CDs. I can tell that my endurance has increased because I can walk a little faster and a little longer (and I will continue to increase my pace/intensity). I plan to start bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, etc) and got some great ideas from nerdfitness.com (see angry bird workout). Keep up the good work.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, elliptical. I started Couch to 5K once, but life interfered.

Right now, I do a few things - Wii Fit for awhile nearly everyday (but I had to lose about 30 lbs before I wasn't too big for it), jogging/walking intervals, and high intensity circuit training with body weight in lieu of weight training (google 7 minute workout - ideally, you'll work up to 3 circuits - all the exercises can be replaced or modified for your fitness level). I need to get back to doing the HICT circuits at least twice a week. I've been slacking.

Yoga isn't bad either, but I have to modify so much that it's not really fun for me yet.

Belly dancing is a lot of fun, but you need a good video or good instructors/fun class.

I hate Zumba.

Step aerobics. Chasing my monkey of a child. That's pretty much it at the moment.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    MFP calorie goal + walking. Lots and Lots of walking.

Walking led into hiking. Once it got cold, I took it indoors and started Zumba classes. I finally had the endurance, etc to withstand the class without feeling like I was going to pass out.

I'm now "Overweight". I still walk 4 miles every Saturday. I still Zumba. When the weather gets warmer, I will resume hiking. I've just started dipping my toes into running on the treadmill, and I'm very happy with the results from that. All the activities I've done up until now have made it possible for me to begin running.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Walking, Dance Dance Revolution, Wii Fit, having a dance party for one while you clean/do the dishes/make lunch/take a shower... There are so many ways to get active. I LOVE doing 5ks and I am still at a BMI of 42.2 Completing a 5k is an amazing experience, or at least it was for me. My favorite are obstacle courses.

The main things to focus on are:
    -Tracking, track your food no matter how good or bad you have eaten. (Eventually planning ahead to some degree will help a lot with this.)
    -Get active but listen to your body. It will tell you when it has a hurt that is something you can push past and when it has a hurt that you should stop for.
    -Build a good support system on here and in person.

I am sure others would have more advise but those are the key points for me personally. Feel free to add me if you need some more support!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I started off by walking also. I wasn't morbidly obese but I was so unfit. I would feel bad after walking on my feet just to go shopping.
    I started walking 30-40 mins everyday, then I added some stationary bike (I started off with 15 mins a day), you can start as slow as you want to. I also enjoyed some easy exercises with the stepper (I still do them).
    I honestly find it hard to bear those DVD workouts too, maybe you're just not used to them :)
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Swimming and Yoga (I do what I can in the Yoga) are the ones I do the most
    I tried fitness walking to Leslie Sansone and hurt something in my foot badly. 2 months later it still hurts.

I also do stretches while I am sitting (legs, ankles, wrists) and I try to not use my hands/arms to get out of chairs and sit etc. (use your legs and your stomach muscles)

I also found this Youtube Video for my husband to try (he's 400lbs) It's seated exercises

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPJKAG0mknI
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    The first thing trainers at my gym do is just to get them moving.

Treadmill and light circuit work..... I also hear them saying "try to walk as much as possible and don't avoid the stairs".

Good luck in your journey towards fitness.
  • jdgilbert32
    Options
    This is quite a late response, but I wanted to throw an endorsement in for elliptical machines. It's a nice step between walking and jogging, and is easier on the knees. I started at 300 lbs, and even as I progress closer to 200 lbs, running too much starts to pain me (knees, hips, sometimes ankles). But I can use the elliptical machine frequently and for long periods of time much hassle. Typically I use low incline and higher resistance, but everybody has their settings.
  • bellavita0125
    bellavita0125 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I started out walking 30-45 minutes a day and doing this super low impact HasFit workout video on youtube. I then worked up to longer/more difficult workouts. Currently on second round of T25 and will try Insanity next. Take it slow and work your way up. your body will thank you. I'm down 100 lbs without any serious injuries. Hope that helps!
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • donohoe4
    donohoe4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great loss so far! Keep it up! I started out walking and on the elliptical. I did just cardio (increasing intensity) for quite some time and then added heavy lifting to my routine.
  • Karissa_Clohan
    Karissa_Clohan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
    Thanks so much to everyone who has contributed in this thread so far - very awesome information!
  • darleneasher328
    darleneasher328 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started in Feb. I have lost 15 lbs, I do water aerobics 3 days a week 60 mins each class and I LOVE IT!! ????❤️❤️
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WOW !!!! Thanks everyone thats all such amazing information !!! :flowerforyou: I am getting a bike and excercise bike asap..
    Its so cold now in Europe I get the worst colds walking outside. So I think im going to start with the DVDS and excercises inside more! I would love to do some dvds and have youtubed alot of videos . I am also def going to start with swimming once i get past the swim suit fear :sad: Thanks everyone!!!:tongue: