Low-carb/IIFYM vegetarian?

Options
I recently discovered IIFYM and although I'm really interested in giving it a try, I'm finding it almost impossible to hit my protein requirements without blowing up my carbs. I'm technically a pescetarian, but I prefer to limit my fish to no more than three times a week (mercury and sustainability are my concerns there). I eat eggs and dairy. My go-to sources of protein have been things like black beans, chickpeas/garbanzos, lentils, and quinoa, but those are all pretty carb-heavy. I'm going to try incorporating more seitan and tofu, but I also don't want to go too crazy with processed and soy-heavy foods.

MAYBE this is all too difficult/restricting and I should just let it go and go back to what I was doing. But I'd like to at least give it a fair shake before I give up.

Anyone else out there following IIFYM as a vegetarian/pescetarian? Or a low-carb vegetarian diet? What kinds of things do you eat? Any good websites for recipes/meal plans?

Replies

• robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm commenting on this so I can get ideas from others. I'm also really stumped. I started eating more fish, but I don't like how expensive it is...

I'm considering protein powder smoothies in the morning. I had a really healthy brand of it a few months ago, but I just couldn't get used to the taste at all. Does anyone have recommendations for protein powders that aren't soy based, taste good, and not too processed/bad for you?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered IIFYM and although I'm really interested in giving it a try, I'm finding it almost impossible to hit my protein requirements without blowing up my carbs. I'm technically a pescetarian, but I prefer to limit my fish to no more than three times a week (mercury and sustainability are my concerns there). I eat eggs and dairy. My go-to sources of protein have been things like black beans, chickpeas/garbanzos, lentils, and quinoa, but those are all pretty carb-heavy. I'm going to try incorporating more seitan and tofu, but I also don't want to go too crazy with processed and soy-heavy foods.

MAYBE this is all too difficult/restricting and I should just let it go and go back to what I was doing. But I'd like to at least give it a fair shake before I give up.

Anyone else out there following IIFYM as a vegetarian/pescetarian? Or a low-carb vegetarian diet? What kinds of things do you eat? Any good websites for recipes/meal plans?

I'm unsure of exactly how you're going to go about a low carb vegetarian diet, as vegetables are mostly carbs. As for protein, greek yogurt, protein powders, cheese etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you understand what IIFYM is? It's not the website/calculator...that's a nice site and all, but macros aren't one sized fits all. Macro ratios are pretty individually specific things that have far more to do with fitness performance than weight control.

If you're just getting some random macro ratio from the IIFYM website then you're not really seeing the whole picture or understanding what IIFYM really is.

Protein is important but for whatever reason, that site has protein set to 1 gram per Lb of body weight...which is completely ridiculous, particularly if you're not ultra lean. That site also does not take into account different training protocols...someone who is an endurance athlete is going to have different macro ratios than an endurance athlete.

Myself, I try to get anywhere between 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM...it varies as per my activity...I tend to get on the high end on lifting days and I eat more carbs on long training ride days. I try to get in around 0.3 - 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of body weight and let carbs fall where they may.

As a side note, you could eat more salmon without the mercury concerns. Low carb and vegetarian does not compute for me.
  • winley87
    winley87 Posts: 32
    Options
    I feel very frustrated when people say that vegetarians can't eat low-carb because vegetables are carbs. By that logic, anyone on a low-carb diet would not eat any vegetables. Well, that's obviously not so. You avoid the starchy ones. And vegetarians are perfectly capable of doing the same while enjoying the low-carb vegetables.
  • winley87
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for protein powders that aren't soy based, taste good, and not too processed/bad for you?

Robin, I like VegaOne. It doesn't taste GREAT but it's not bad and it's vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free. I like mine blended with a small banana, 3 ice cubes, and unsweetened almond milk.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I feel very frustrated when people say that vegetarians can't eat low-carb because vegetables are carbs. By that logic, anyone on a low-carb diet would not eat any vegetables. Well, that's obviously not so. You avoid the starchy ones. And vegetarians are perfectly capable of doing the same while enjoying the low-carb vegetables.

It's not impossible but it's very difficult. On that note, there's absolutely nothing wrong with carbs. You and i are friends, I'm sure you've seen my diary before. Absolutely loaded with carbs! :P
  • ginaward1990
    Options
    Have you tried Quorn? It's made from their own formulated protein called myco-protein and have a substitute for pretty much everything. I like their chicken pieces and their sausages......the meal possibilities are endless! It's probably not the cleanest meat substitute but its low fat and low calorie :)
  • winley87
    Options
    GG: Valid point!

Gina: I love Quorn. :) Going to have some tonight for dinner actually!!
  • robingoblin
    robingoblin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @Winley, Thanks for the suggestion! :)

WHOA Quorn doesn't use soy either?! Is it derived from the protein from mushrooms?? That's amazing! I hate mushrooms but I know they're good for me, so it's always been a struggle. I have to try that out!!
  • ginaward1990
    Options
    yeah they use 'fungus' to make it haha sounds gross but it tastes good....... they have loads of recipes on their website too x
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian IIFYM. I'm definitely not low carb but most of my protein heavy foods are pretty low in carbs compared to chocolate (which is a staple food in my diet)
    Protein sources:
    Quark (best thing ever, you can find it with the cheeses in most bigger shops, have it with some honey or fruit or nuts/seeds)
    egg whites
    cottage cheese
    greek yoghurt
    milk
    and all the stuff other people said.

Have a look at my diary if you want...
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Quorn is the way to go. Been the basis of most of my meals for 24 years, its tasty and versatile and fills you up. As an extra bonus the whole family likes it! :)

Edited to add - quorn doesn't actually taste of mushrooms (in my opinion anyway) so even if you hate mushrooms you should like quorn :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You didn't say why your going low carb.........why? curious.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Do you understand what IIFYM is? It's not the website/calculator...that's a nice site and all, but macros aren't one sized fits all. Macro ratios are pretty individually specific things that have far more to do with fitness performance than weight control.

If you're just getting some random macro ratio from the IIFYM website then you're not really seeing the whole picture or understanding what IIFYM really is.

Protein is important but for whatever reason, that site has protein set to 1 gram per Lb of body weight...which is completely ridiculous, particularly if you're not ultra lean. That site also does not take into account different training protocols...someone who is an endurance athlete is going to have different macro ratios than an endurance athlete.

Myself, I try to get anywhere between 0.8 - 1 gram of protein per Lb of LBM...it varies as per my activity...I tend to get on the high end on lifting days and I eat more carbs on long training ride days. I try to get in around 0.3 - 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of body weight and let carbs fall where they may.

As a side note, you could eat more salmon without the mercury concerns. Low carb and vegetarian does not compute for me.

Have you never noticed the site gives an option to put a custom amount of protein ratio? Or did you miss that?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Have you never noticed the site gives an option to put a custom amount of protein ratio? Or did you miss that?
    The IIFYM website is not actually IIFYM, it's just someone that took advantage of it's growing popularity and grabbed the name to but together a website. IIFYM really doesn't dictate to anyone how they divide their macro's as long as the person is meeting their daily nutritional requirements.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian who follows IIFYM and have no problems hitting my macros (which includes 160 - 165g of protein).

What is your carb target?
  • lydiaellen875
    lydiaellen875 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone in this feed that is willing to share their diary with me so I can see exactly how you get all your proteins in without going over carbs? I also am not sure that I have the right ratio set up for each requirement as well. any help would be appreciated!