Going grocery shopping tonight. Give me some tips!

Options
I'm in the process of cleaning my fridge and pantry of all of the crap that's in there and replacing it with healthier options. I'm looking for good (vegetarian friendly) staples to keep around for quick snacks, lunches to pack for work, and quick dinners I can through together. So far, I'm good at stocking up on yogurt, eggs, fruit, raw veggies (like celery and carrots), but what else should I get? Any tips would be very welcome.

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Salsa, granola bars, string cheese...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Nuts! And peanut butter without added sugar.
  • kayeheins5150
    Options
    SHOP the perimeter of the store only. That way you stay away from the cookies and crackers.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. High in protein and a favorite snack of mine. I add a little strawberry preserves. Ah-mazing!!!
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sabra humus is just to die for, I love dipping veggies in it. I'm also a big fan of chicken soup (mostly broths), lentil soup, and bolthouse bottled smoothies (because I hate cleaning my blender).
  • mkassinen
    mkassinen Posts: 11
    Options
    String cheese is a favorite snack of mine. I usually pair it with toast or a grapefruit. Hummus or Tzatziki. Both are delicious dipped in salt and pepper triscuits. I also buy mini cans of tuna that are flavored. The thai chili one is my fav. Put that on a whole wheat english muffin and you've got a great/filling well rounded snack! Good luck :)
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Quick-cooking whole grains like whole wheat couscous and quinoa.
    Tofu, veggie burgers, edamame beans.
    Raw snacking veggies like cucumber, snow peas, sweet peppers, fennel.
    Cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, low fat ricotta.
    Avocadoes, nuts, olives.
    Pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds.
    Low-fat milk or unsweetened non-dairy beverage of choice
  • blondiebabe92
    blondiebabe92 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Gardein products has great vegetarian products!
    Salsa and multigrain chips
    Hummus
    Kale and smoothie fruit
    Greek yogurt
    As a vegetarian I mix chic peas into pasta a lot!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go! LOL!
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    Pumpkin seeds! High in Iron - something that i get low in especially at ladies time of month! Chuck them on salads for iron boost even better if you use raw spinach! YUM Oh and i snack on some chickpeas too when i get a bit peckish, that and baby carrots :happy:
  • caitypants86
    caitypants86 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Frozen wild blueberries, almond/coconut milk, flax seeds...for smoothies!
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm on this homemade almond butter and apples kick lately.

I just buy the almonds that say ALMONDS (harder to find than you think!) and pulse in my food processor for like 10 minutes.
    If you like a sweeter almond butter, add some honey. I like mine naked.:laugh:

Spaghetti squash or butternut squash are usual suspects on my list too. Easy and tasty.
    Also roasted brussel sprouts make great snacks, along with sweet potatoes.
    Poke a couple holes in them and stick right in the microwave for a good snack.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    low sodium broth. throw a bunch of low cal stuff in there and it'll fill you up like nobody's business. berries and applegate farms lunch meat, and ezekiel (or any other brand flourless) bread with almond butter.... mmmmm. gettin' hungry now.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Something I learned on my Journey and still stick to except the cereal isle, is to stick to the outside isles. Most grocery stores are the set up the same. Start at the veggies and thru the meats and fish and dairy then out the door!

:wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Plooty222
    Plooty222 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    PB2, bananas, and wheat bread has been my go to lately. I am also a big hummus person. I also microwave sliced apples with cinnamon as a dessert. Mmmm

Also, skinny girl makes wine now, if that's your thing :-) I was pumped!
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A lot of people make the expensive mistake of thinking the only vegetarian/vegan foods are in that one teeny section of fake meats. A healthier and cheaper option, though a bit more labor intensive, would be beans, grains, and rice in bulk. Stock up on tofu, veggies, spices, fruit, and an occasional Gardien chipotle lime chik'n strips, SO GOOD.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    You can send me all your perfectly good food you're throwing out:flowerforyou:

Here's my tip: what worked for me long term was realizing that all foods are fine. Moderation was the key to my sustainability. If you intend on giving up those foods you're throwing away forever. Good for you, more power to you. If that makes you happy. Great. If you're doing it to subconsciously punish yourself and do enjoy those foods and would be better suited on learning moderation. .. Don't.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can send me all your perfectly good food you're throwing out:flowerforyou:

Here's my tip: what worked for me long term was realizing that all foods are fine. Moderation was the key to my sustainability. If you intend on giving up those foods you're throwing away forever. Good for you, more power to you. If that makes you happy. Great. If you're doing it to subconsciously punish yourself and do enjoy those foods and would be better suited on learning moderation. .. Don't.

This!
  • tgmichelleee
    tgmichelleee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just did a post with peoples must have staple foods, thought the list could help you out :)

So far most common seem to be:
    Eggs
    Peanut butter
    Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Chicken
    Apples
    Oatmeal/Oats
    Coffee

Also topping the list:
    Avocado
    Almond milk
    Berries
    Banana
    Almonds
    Broccoli
    Hummus
    Chocolate
    Wine
    Vodka

And of course lots of healthy veggies!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    almond milk, chocolate chip granola bars (good for a quick 100 cal snack),string cheese, easy to eat fruit like apples and bananas, baby carrots, hummus, hmm, maybe rice cakes?