Second Week at the Gym.. When do I add Strength?

Options
Hi Pals!

This is my second week consitantly at the gym. I go 3-4 times a week and do an hour of cardio. I usually split it up between an eliptital type thing (its one of those ones that has the stepper option too idk what those are called lol), and then pop on the treadmill for the remaining time and walk on an incline and jog. I know I need to start adding some strength in here, in my head cardio burns fat and i am trying to get rid of fat! but muscle burns fat, so I'm thinking the more muscle i have the more fat i'll burn?

I know when I get some of this weight off I will feel a lot more comfortable doing strength training.. honestly, doing crunches and squats when youre fat is really discouraging, i feel like when I'm on the treadmill or the elipitical i am working hard, sweating profusley, and engaging my muscles yet i dont feel bad about myself like i do when i try and add some lunges or crunches in.. i feel all of my rolls and fat .. anyways, im obviously struggling with this, need myfittnesspals to help me through it!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!

Honestly, in six months' time you'll wish you started strength training today :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You should add strength your first day at the gym. :wink:

Try checking out a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength. I find it much easier to go in with a plan. If I don't have a program, I just kind of wander from spot to spot and end up doing nothing of consequence. A plan in hand is half the battle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!

Honestly, in six months' time you'll wish you started strength training today :flowerforyou:

this.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Start now :-) I had better results losing weight/fat with strength training than with cardio. I understand your hesitation though, you're right any type of strength training exercise when you're fat is discouraging! And sometimes embarrassing :-) My stomach rolls always got in the way of everything! heheh

But, the more often you do it the easier it becomes, the more progress you make the prouder you are, and then it all becomes encouraging instead of discouraging, even with fat rolls :-)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with both but admittedly 65% of my workouts are cardio. Right now I do 25 minutes of the Arc Trainer (might be what you're using...I love it) and push it hard. Then I take 5 to rehydrate and settle in for 30-40 minutes of weight resistance machines and free weights/squats, then I finish with 25 minutes on the treadmill with 8-10 incline. I change my work outs around as I build strength, endurance and confidence. Don't settle in on one routine...mix it up and find what works for you.

BTW, I focused almost entirely on cardio for the first two weeks just to build up my endurance, confidence and see some results on the scale, so don't feel like you have to do it all at once. Incorporate weights and resistance when you're ready.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!

I wish i had started at the beginning.
  • xlollipunk
    xlollipunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't been at the gym long either, but I've started strength because muscles burn calories. This is something I have failed to do in previous attempts to lose weight. I think that was one thing missing.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Everyone who stated that you should add it NOW.......I agree.
    It should have been added into your routine on Day 1.
  • xlollipunk
    xlollipunk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I meant to add in my early comment that I had begun strength training and I must sympathize with what you said regarding feeling a bit ridiculous about it. One day I decided not to do sit ups because I didn't want people to see my struggle with it in all of my fatness, but the next day I was determined to do it anyway.

We have to stop worrying about what people think. What is important is that you do what's best for you. Sometimes we have to take risks to be successful...sometimes that risk is feeling like you look bad. In the end, there will be nothing but positive results. Just stick to it. :). This is advice I am needing to take as well.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    last week....
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I agree. Start now. I just started strength training a few weeks ago. I'd been putting it off for a very long time because I was worried about how to start, what to do, etc. I wish I'd started earlier. I got somone at the gym to help me and I'm off and running (or not running, since that's what I do for cardio!) I bench pressed 100 pounds yesterday and kind of freaked my friend out. Apparently, 5'3" middle aged women aren't supposed to be able to lift that much. LOL It felt good!
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yesterday!

Totally what I was thinking when I read the post.

I second New Rules for Women