Addicted to sugar, how to wean myself off?

Options

Replies

• MamaLlamaThatsMe
    MamaLlamaThatsMe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have only skimmed through the responses, but I have always had a tendency toward (somewhat extreme) sugar addiction (at least in my own mind), so I'll offer my experience. Keep in mind, of course, that what is right for one person certainly might not be right for another...

So... I have tried going cold turkey, but some times, for me, that backfires because if I ever do give in it's like I failed and then I go crazy and want more sugar than one should eat in a week let alone a day... Worse, though, I get awful headaches, and I really do think they could be from sugar withdrawal.

This time I decided to be more gentle on my body and try for a smooth transition. I weaned myself from it slowly, and I've lost 22 pounds so far. I log EVERYTHING and check the nutritional information throughout the day, being careful to stay at or below the recommended daily sugar intake. What I have found is that if I eat healthy throughout the day there is actually almost always room for one or two SMALL sweets. I don't get nearly as many headaches as I used to either. I have always tended toward hypoglycemia though (was supposed to get tested years ago... long story... never did... still suspect it), and some times I feel like I need that sugar to wake up my body. I have found that keeping a small sweet around that I can easily eat one or two of really helps me. I know all day that I can look forward to a small treat, and when I do have it, that's it. Yes, sugar makes me crave more sugar, but if I have a hot drink with it (I drink black tea or decaf coffee with only a 1/2 serving of cream) that helps. All this said, I avoid sugary drinks like the plague... Water, black tea, and decaf coffee as described, are it for me, aside from a rare glass of wine or something similar. Water also helps get the sugary taste off my tongue. I really think it does help.
  • 1WAY2GETFIT
    1WAY2GETFIT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sugar is in most processed foods.. hidden in them.. as long as you eat processed foods with hidden sugars in them you will want sugar..because the more you eat the more you want.. start eating more protein... meat, eggs and cheese.. dont go over board on the meats... like baked chicken, fish, turkey. or a cheese stick.. If you have ever heard of the atkins diet book, he has a 14 day diet in there..if u can do that diet for 14 you can get off the sugar kick... its very helpful.
  • 1WAY2GETFIT
    1WAY2GETFIT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also do the 2 Tablespoons of coffee cream.. my coffee does not taste good without it.. I do use the sugar free kind because in 2011 I had something called Candida.. where I had to avoid sugar at all cost.. but I agree with you ..got to have the creamer.. to enjoy my coffee.. its worth those calories.. which the sugar free I think says 30 calories.. When u exercise I noticed this site increases your calories.. Im allowed 1570 but today it gave me 2100...a bonus.. but with everything I ate I still have 500 something left over..may drink some Dark chocolate almond milk before bed.. yummy!
  • pbass1
    pbass1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've gone back and forth a little bit too. It happens. Real good not to let a couple of cookies totally side track your day.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I was REALLY bad with it. Dipping my strawberries in sugar, eating the kid's treats like Gushers or candies. I STOPPED Cold Turkey But yes I still get the sweet craving and I satisfy it by drinking Coconut Milk it's very sweet and yummy or reaching for a delicious sweet Key Lime Pie Greek yogurt packed full of protein. Give it a shot! You will feel like you're cheating on your healthy eating but you're not. Also dark chocolate atleast 70% cocoa has healthy benefits ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    curious…to everyone who said you "quit" sugar ….do you not eat fruit, honey, carbs, etc?
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others: remove the trigger food! I still have some sugar. My flavored creamer in the morning and my 2 pieces of Dove dark chocolate after dinner. It took a couple weeks but the cravings stopped. For me, giving up the sugar was harder than giving up cigarettes.

ndj1979, I've restricted my carbs to 90g a day, mostly veggies, some fruit (usually berries), a little dark chocolate, flavored creamer and a slice of bread or a corn tortilla once or twice a week, and a couple 5 oz yogurts with stevia.

No soda, juice, chocolate milk, cookies, cake, candies, doughnuts, muffins, pizza, bagels, rice, pasta or potatoes.

I splurged last weekend and had a buckwheat pancake made with fresh sliced apples and walnuts with cinnamon-maple butter. So tasty!
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey is the only thing that worked for me. And I haven't gone back yet. Weaning is just like slow torture to me, though I know it works for others. I quit cigarettes the same way. A few days of misery has been well worth it.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey on chocolate and didn't eat any for 40 days ( I read some article that that's how long it took to break cravings !) and I went from eating several bars a day to being able to take it or leave it, more often leaving it!

good luck x

ps I was a nightmare to live with for the first two weeks apparently!!1
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    To answer ndj1979, I cut all grains, fruits, honey etc. for the first month. So obviously I didn't cut ALL carbs, just the carbs that cause a huge spike in insulin. Eating a piece of whole wheat bread is the same as eating a spoonful of sugar and until I cut all those things out for a while, I couldn't shake the addiction. I will only return to grains VERY sparingly and haven't been tempted to have them since. IMO they are the most dangerous food in the American diet right now.
  • Angelo2975
    Angelo2975 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Read up on what happens to diabetics and how they have to have limbs removed. And type 2 diabetes is self inflicted
  • samanthatimms1
    Options
    I can't stop eating sweets... seriously addicted. That's the only unhealthy thing I do eat but I want to stop for the sake of my teeth lol. Its unhealthy to consume as much sweets... id happily throw out breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner for sweets. Not good...
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    @ndj1979 No we are not talking about fructose we are discussing the addiction to refined sugars. And yes honey is a refined sugar but it is not used as an ingredient to processed sweets we are talking about the OTHER type of refined sugar that has everyone in a mess. Capiche?

Peace
  • NoSharpei
    NoSharpei Posts: 73
    Options
    COLD TURKEY! I am an absolute sweet tooth. I (unfortunately) love anything sweet. I find that the only way to get the sweet fix out of my system is to go cold turkey - no sugar, no cookies, no chocolate. The first couple of days are tough, but after that it gets easier. After a week, I am good (I can then "take it or leave it")...best of luck :smile:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @ndj1979 No we are not talking about fructose we are discussing the addiction to refined sugars. And yes honey is a refined sugar but it is not used as an ingredient to processed sweets we are talking about the OTHER type of refined sugar that has everyone in a mess. Capiche?

Peace

sugar has fructose in it…capiche?

how does one be addicted to something and then continue to eat said substance that you are addicted to?

you might find this study interesting..

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=895280
    here is a snip it from the abstract:

"In addition, there is often no difference in responses between foods containing added sugars and those containing naturally-occurring sugars."

note he study is about GI load in foods..but still relevant as you appear to think there is a difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, (natural sugar)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Peace

how does one be addicted to something and then continue to eat said substance that you are addicted to?

"In addition, there is often no difference in responses between foods containing added sugars and those containing naturally-occurring sugars."

note he study is about GI load in foods..but still relevant as you appear to think there is a difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, (natural sugar)

The difference is not in which food has more sugar. If someone, diabetic or whatever, cannot process sugar properly than one starts to look at what foods they can cut out. Chocolate bars may have as much sugar as an orange (I say may because I'm not sure and don't care) but the orange has fiber and vitamins that will help the body in other ways. There is very little nutritional value to a chocolate bar, thus making it not really worth the effort (usually). If a person notices that they have a hard time controlling their sugar intake, I think its a good thing to start looking for ways to cut it out BEFORE they are diagnosed with a health issue. Not all sugar "addicts" become diabetic, of course, but a whole lot of diabetics like sugar a lot.

Edited to fix a sentence that didn't make sense, lol.
  • tinajoe628
    tinajoe628 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is very true- restricting yourself from things you enjoy will only set you up to fail in the long run. If you are hitting your target MACROS, eat the things you enjoy.. and just stay active :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Peace

The difference is not in how the body breaks down the sugar but in what else the food in question has to offer. If someone, diabetic or whatever, cannot process sugar properly than one starts to look at what foods they can cut out. Chocolate bars may have as much sugar as an orange (I say may because I'm not sure and don't care) but the orange has fiber and vitamins that will help the body in other ways. There is very little nutritional value to a chocolate bar, thus making it not really worth the effort (usually). If a person notices that they have a hard time controlling their sugar intake, I think its a good thing to start looking for ways to cut it out BEFORE they are diagnosed with a health issue. Not all sugar "addicts" become diabetic, of course, but a whole lot of diabetics like sugar a lot. .

we are not debating nutritional value …

my point is that sugar is sugar and your body recognizes it as the same…If I have ate healthy all day and hit my macro and micro requirements what does it matter if someone has a candy bar, cookie, ice cream, etc?

so if I take a multi vitamin with my candy bar does it then make it "good" for me?

and how does one say "I am addicted to sugar" and then go on to say "…but I still eat fruit and honey"?
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go cold turkey on "sugar". I made the choice to go cold turkey on carbs also, AND I know that isnt for everyone, but so far 2 weeks down and it has been easier to manage. I miss pasta, potatoes and bread...and sat across the table from people eating garlic bread and lasagna, but was able to resist, and only had a mild craving. I honestly don't know that "weaning" will help limit your sugar supply, because I feel you might be more likely to cheat a little here and a little there not realizing how much it adds up to. If you don't feel like you can go cold turkey, maybe set aside a few hard candies for the day (according to the guide on here 4 pieces of life saver fruit flavored candies yield 12grams of sugar and 14 grams of carbs), and then avoid all other sugars. But when you've done well resisting something with high sugar levels, pop a life saver and enjoy!! Just a suggestion :) either way good luck!!