Avoiding temptation NSV

Options
2»

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Last night my husband and kids ate popeyes chicken. It was late and I wanted a piece so bad. I went in my room when they came home with the chicken to help me fight the temptation. When I did go into the kitchen my 16year old was doing the dishes. I went to get a piece of the chicken and he squirted me with cold water and told me NO. It was soooooo funny and just what I needed, I returned to my bedroom took a bath and went to sleep feeling real good about myself and thankful for the support system.

don't you think it would be better to teach yourself the moderation to eat one piece, rather then have to hide every time there is something good in the house that you like???

but how do you teach yourself to do it?

step 1 is realizing that there is no "bad' or "good" food there is just food that your body uses for energy.
    step 2 is realizing what the calorie counts of the foods that you like are, and how to build your day around them
    step 3 so when you want ice cream, pizza whatever...log it into your diary first and see how many calories you have left for the day ..and then build in the rest of what you want ...as long as you eat at maintenance or maintain your deficit you will be good to go .

Restriction of foods you like is going to leave to eventual binging on foods that you like...

I agree with all your steps. and throughout my journey I havent cut anything out at all. I log it and eat it, but that is not teaching me to eat in moderation 100%. For example if i have lots of chocolate biscuits in my house I say am going to eat two, those two taste mighty fine and before you know it I have eaten almost the whole packet. SO at the moment I am trying to buy single large cookies so once its gone its gone. SO even though I have done well with my weight loss so far, I dont feel I am successful until i learn the moderation thingy 100%. WHich I still not seeing how to do it. No doesnt always work, but maybe I guess that is the only way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Last night my husband and kids ate popeyes chicken. It was late and I wanted a piece so bad. I went in my room when they came home with the chicken to help me fight the temptation. When I did go into the kitchen my 16year old was doing the dishes. I went to get a piece of the chicken and he squirted me with cold water and told me NO. It was soooooo funny and just what I needed, I returned to my bedroom took a bath and went to sleep feeling real good about myself and thankful for the support system.

don't you think it would be better to teach yourself the moderation to eat one piece, rather then have to hide every time there is something good in the house that you like???

step 1 is realizing that there is no "bad' or "good" food there is just food that your body uses for energy.
    step 2 is realizing what the calorie counts of the foods that you like are, and how to build your day around them
    step 3 so when you want ice cream, pizza whatever...log it into your diary first and see how many calories you have left for the day ..and then build in the rest of what you want ...as long as you eat at maintenance or maintain your deficit you will be good to go .

Restriction of foods you like is going to leave to eventual binging on foods that you like...

I agree with all your steps. and throughout my journey I havent cut anything out at all. I log it and eat it, but that is not teaching me to eat in moderation 100%. For example if i have lots of chocolate biscuits in my house I say am going to eat two, those two taste mighty fine and before you know it I have eaten almost the whole packet. SO at the moment I am trying to buy single large cookies so once its gone its gone. SO even though I have done well with my weight loss so far, I dont feel I am successful until i learn the moderation thingy 100%. WHich I still not seeing how to do it. No doesnt always work, but maybe I guess that is the only way.

I think that is a personal thing that we all have to conquer on our own ..

Right now, I have about six pints of talenti gelato in my freezer, and some Milano dark chocolate cookies in the pantry ...each night I have a servicing of ice cream and that is all ...

back in day, I would probably eat a whole package of Milano's and a serving or two of ice cream ...but when I wanted to start losing weight I just told myself "no, you are only having one serving"....but that is just me...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Practice, just like everyone who learns it does. Nobody is born with this skill and nobody masters it on the first try.
  • eleanorblack
    eleanorblack Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I managed to stop binge eating by making myself log every single item as I ate it. Literally right there on my phone. Or even beforehand - so eat one cookie, log it. Eat another one, log it. Think about a third one, log it and then change my mind and go do something else or have a nice cup of tea :-)

Also getting back into exercising has been a big help - I had a massive pub lunch on Sunday but then evened it out with a long run - extra motivation for doing it as I'd already eaten the calories for it! And don't obsess about 24 hrs - ate too much yesterday and it was too late to burn it off? Eat less tomorrow and even it out :-)

Food for me now is fuel - I want high quality tasty fuel at the right amount for what I'm doing :-)
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Well done OP! :flowerforyou:

I went to the grocery store yesterday evening and I had plenty of calories left for the night. I glanced at the baked goods but passed them by. I glanced at the donuts and snack cakes but passed them by too. I passed by the frozen section skipping the fish sticks, fries, and pies. I did look over the frozen dessert section for a few minutes trying to justify buying frozen fruit bars or ice cream. In the end I stuck with my mental list of what I was going to buy. I ended up going to bed with more calories uneaten than I should have but that is better than stuffing myself with empty calories just to use the ones I had available.

Also my coworker just walked in with some kind of fast food. I can smell it and the smell of food has made me hungry. However, the smell from her food also makes me feel a bit sick. Time to dig into my sandwich, bell pepper strips and hummus. (^_^)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hold out my arm, and you rub some of that self-control off on me.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're a bad *kitten*, OP. I would have inhaled everything!
  • KTemple1
    KTemple1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. In order to get my chocolate/sweets cravings down, I've taken to buying the prepackaged 100-calorie treats. I do have to watch how much I intake processed foods because large quantities have started to irritate my system, but when I'm absolutely craving it, I go to one of these. I agree with learning moderation and not deprivation, but you really have to figure out what works for YOU.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options

Sounds like you have a great family! Lol on your 16YO telling you no. It helps to have support.
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Now, next time have 1 cookie or 1 piece of cake, fit it in your daily calorie goals, and don't freak out about it. Depriving yourself will work short term, but what you really want is permanent behavioral change towards moderation.

If OP is anything like me, one turns into 5. As long as I don't touch it I'm good. Sugar is so addictive.......just makes me want more. Good job OP!!!!!
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Better, yes - but that's more the 'end state' goal.

That just sounded to me like the first step on the way; learning to recognize the triggers... the rest will come. :smile:
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    At work they k ow I am dieting and will take a tiny piece of their super calif rage list is home mades. No store bought lard bombs though.
  • luminajd
    luminajd Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If OP is anything like me, one turns into 5. As long as I don't touch it I'm good. Sugar is so addictive.......just makes me want more. Good job OP!!!!!

Sorry, I'm on my phone and can't quote, but I agree with this. I have a history of going crazy with potluck food, which my NSV was avoiding ours. If I want something sweet, I'll buy it and fit it into my macros. Not eat it, have no clue what is in it, and potentially offend people when I stop after a bite or two because it isn't as good as I hoped.
  • watercolormama
    watercolormama Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well, that is just the greatest thing!!!! Feels good, doesn't it. Keep up this and you will reach your goals for sure.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm proud that last week I went to the store and bought 3 chocolate Easter eggs (the kind with various yummy fillings) and had them at work in my purse and then took them to my mom's house and shared them with my mom and husband, eating just one for myself. Seriously, in years past there is NO WAY I could have done that. Having the chocolate in my purse during a boring afternoon at work would have been too much temptation for me and by 5 pm I'd have eaten all three eggs and thrown away the "evidence". To some this might not be a total win as I DID eat one of the eggs - but to me it definitely IS. I had one, after a sensible dinner, and it fit my calories and fat/sugar macros with ease.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!