Not sure why I'm gaining weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    dont listen to the starvation mode theory....a deficit will only make you lose weight...not gain. if this were actually the case then anorexics would be overweight....and they arent.

on another note - it could be that your bmr is lower than you think (i had mine tested and its only 1300 so on 1200 calories a day it takes me awhile to lose weight), you arent exercising enough, you are miscalculating what you are eating OR (and this is the most likely) your weight has just plateaued. it happens to the best of us. as long as you stick with a deficit the weight will come off eventually :)

good luck!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Since January 1st I've been on 1'200 calories a day, and I've lost around 10kg.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been going back up a bit. even though I'm still on 1'200 calories a day, except on the odd day where I go a bit over if I'm extra hungry or feel like a little chocolate (I didn't think this was so bad) I only mean a little bit extra. (perhaps 50-100kcal)

I tend not to exercise as I've been so busy lately, and my new bmr since losing the 10kg is 1,469

Is there anything I can do to prevent the weight gain, and if I wanted to maintain now do I just need to eat 1469...? It still confuses me :(

for reference 1'm 5'6", 68kg and I'm 20.

Please help :)

You can reports here on MFP. Run a report on sugar... I know you will find your answer. It Quality; not Quantity these days.
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is not enough for anybody, regardless of the amount of exercise you are doing.
  • Beley1984
    Beley1984 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey, I want also to share my thoughts to you though Im new here.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    Hiya!

Since January 1st I've been on 1'200 calories a day, and I've lost around 10kg.

Over the last 2 weeks I've been going back up a bit. even though I'm still on 1'200 calories a day, except on the odd day where I go a bit over if I'm extra hungry or feel like a little chocolate (I didn't think this was so bad) I only mean a little bit extra. (perhaps 50-100kcal)

I tend not to exercise as I've been so busy lately, and my new bmr since losing the 10kg is 1,469

Is there anything I can do to prevent the weight gain, and if I wanted to maintain now do I just need to eat 1469...? It still confuses me :(

for reference 1'm 5'6", 68kg and I'm 20.

Please help :)

Do you do workouts or any exercises? Have checked your muscles? Another factor that gains weight is muscle mass.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    But surely because I don't exercise, I am giving it enough.

I also have a desk job 5 days a week so I don't do a lot there either.

Plus I've been losing ok until now..... :(

You need to lessen you diet on protein-rich foods. Protein is good building muscles in our body.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    But surely because I don't exercise, I am giving it enough.

I also have a desk job 5 days a week so I don't do a lot there either.

Plus I've been losing ok until now..... :(

You need to lessen you diet on protein-rich foods. Protein is good building muscles in our body.

would you stop with the muscle gains...you don't gain muscle without trying and for a woman it's hard.

You have to be at a surplus of maintenance and lifting heavy weights.

Protien is not just for "building" muscles it helps repair them as well...if you do exercise cardio or lift weights it is important to have lots of protien to help repair and maintain the muscle you have...
  • BrieFit18
    BrieFit18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    dont listen to the starvation mode theory....a deficit will only make you lose weight...not gain. if this were actually the case then anorexics would be overweight....and they arent.

on another note - it could be that your bmr is lower than you think (i had mine tested and its only 1300 so on 1200 calories a day it takes me awhile to lose weight), you arent exercising enough, you are miscalculating what you are eating OR (and this is the most likely) your weight has just plateaued. it happens to the best of us. as long as you stick with a deficit the weight will come off eventually :)

good luck!

First of all, Starvation mode is not a theory, it is a real process that occurs within the body. When you do not consume the proper amount of calories for your body to accurately complete its daily functions, it begins to store fat. No, this does not mean you gain weight right away. The reason for this is because your body begins taking nutrients and stored macromolecules from your muscles and other areas of your body. In other words, you are building up stored fats and losing muscle, and as we know, muscles are heavier than fat. So you lose weight. In this process, your metabolism is also badly damaged and slows down so as soon as you begin eating more again, you will likely gain a lot of the weight back that you lost while on a low calorie-intake diet. Once your metabolism is damaged, it takes a lot of effort to speed it up again. I can't possibly explain the whole thing here, but I recommend that some of you research this yourselves so you can lose weight more effectively. It's honestly as simple as eating healthy and exercising.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people in all honesty, people can not eat enough and gain weight or eat 1,200 cals and gain weight.

I have heard you need to burn more than you eat to lose weight. that is the theory i am working off, i am going to eat 3-4 small meals a day and set myself a 500cal limit and use that energy to burn 600-700cals on my rowing machine.

i have no idea if it will work, i don't know much about weight loss because i have heard SO many different story's.
    if the 1,200 cal is making you gain weight try lowering the limit to 1,000 cals (you say your snacking after you already hit your 1,200 limit that is probably where you are gaining weight)

i am no expert but to me this makes more sense. o.o

This is very bad advice. When people talk about eating less than you burn you have to take into account all of the calories your body uses just being alive, as well as the calories you burn through day-to-day activity like brushing your teeth. Find your TDEE and take a deficit from that. Trying to exercise off every calorie that you eat will put you in the hospital.