Having Trouble Sticking with it

Options
Hey There,
Changed my lifestyle over 45 days ago. I'm a 24 y/o male, 6ft and started at 293 pounds.
Currently at 266 pounds and recently my girlfriend and I bought a new home, which is a total fixer upper.

Prior to working on this house I was walking 4 days and going to the gym to work on jogging (being overweight and a smoker for so long has made it so i cant jog for more than a few minutes at a time).

I'm having trouble fitting in exercise with the home improvements and am looking for support.
My significant other isn't dieting at the moment and I'm having trouble eating the way I need to.
Slipped off my wagon a few times over the past week and ate food that I thought I wouldn't eat anymore (french fries).
I told myself that I wouldn't eat fried food, drink soda, or eat beef burgers anymore because that was my bread and butter.

I'm just feeling very tired. Need some support.

25301295.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• ruth76016
    ruth76016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    count some of your house work as fitness activity. try planning meals before you eat them. I know it stinks to pre-plan, but sometimes this helps me stay on track. keep healthy snacks on hand like hard boiled eggs, apples, almonds . I like portable snacks that way if I get hungry I'm not tempted to go to vending machines or fast food places. I have not lost near as much as you so maybe you should be giving me ideas.
  • gmbear2
    gmbear2 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been pre planning all my meals, but with working on the house we dont have a fridge, over, microwave, or anyway to keep or cook food right now.

So the tough part of planning meals and that there is no where to store things.
    I'm usually pretty strict with my food, but the house work makes it all go out the window.
    Almost every day for the past month and a half I've had the same breakfast, lunch and snack. Its the after work dinner that is killing me with no time to prepare and no time to cook its just hard.
  • prabbitts
    prabbitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice your picture. It's a picture of a warrior so it grabbed my attention. There are several archetypes that people have as their nature and "warrior" is one of them. I use this archetype as well as I most identify with Warrior. I use this archetype to lose weight and get fit. It may sound crazy, but it works so well for me. When you feel like quitting, I simply picture myself as a warrior, I imagine that I'm completing whatever it is that I'm trying to complete and I imagine finishing , pull my shoulders back, stand tall, and picture myself over and over again as having completed that run, that home improvement work, or that walk. My entire body changes when I do this. This is called "changing your state". This means that I can do ANYTHING at anytime, and this is the mentality and belief I need to see my dreams come true. If you do this practice, you will find yourself within 1-2 minutes standing tall with amazing energy and determination. So, if you have work at home to do, your hungry and tired, maybe do what I do, picture yourself for a few minutes going outside and walking the driveway back and forth 50 times, or walking in place for an hour and succeeding. Picture that nothing, nothing can stop you. Do this every time and soon your body and your mind start to believe it and it all is "easy" and piece of cake. You will find an amazing unexpected energy in you that you never knew you had. I do this every day and nothing, absolutely nothing stops me. I overate yesterday at 8pm, went outside and did a very slow jog in my cul-de-sac for an hour using this warrior's power. I weighed 1.4 lbs less this morning than yesterday. I've lost 32 pounds since Christmas. So, do it. Believe you can, and do it no matter what! remember, warriors are persistent, determined, strong, never give up, strategize, disciplined, fearless and endure. They face 100% every challenge. You can do it, say "no" to doubt, and believe that you will succeed, no matter what, it with every cell in your body! You are the voice now, LEAD!
  • gmbear2
    Options
    This really did help.
    Thank you
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your situation sounds like a hard one to be in! It sounds like you're going to need to eat outside the home, but you can totally do it and still stick to your limits. Just ask the restaurant for the calorie counts (they usually have a booklet- fast food places too). I know for instance, that Firehouse (not sure if they're in your area) has a 500 calorie sandwich menu, you could eat that twice a day and be fine. And a previous poster mentioned having some portable snacks like nuts to keep around (those and most fruits don't need to be refrigerated) to get you through till mealtime.
  • gmbear2
    Options
    I live in Alaska, not a lot of places here do calorie counts. I guess I'm just going to have to carry around a ton of snacks for a while until i get a fridge and oven again!
  • slmahrt
    slmahrt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WOW Prabbits great advice!!!
  • prabbitts
    prabbitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion, get a good protein shake. Buy a big container of it. Or a meal shake. (Meal shake has more calories and your going to need some calories) It's powder, so you don't have to refrigerate. Then buy some fiber. Then just add water. Nothing needs to be refrigerated and if you get a protein shake ( probably better to get a powdered meal shake from vitamin shoppe or health food store that has lots of nutrition in it.) this way you know how many calories per scoop of protein powder, how many calories of fiber per tablespoon ( fiber will make you feel full as it expands in your stomach), so you can track this. Then just add some fruits like apples, bananas. Also avocados have great healthy calories, with necessary healthy fats. You still need good calories like these foods. All these things can be measured and tracked, don't need refrigeration, and best of all, it's a very inexpensive way to eat and get nutrition until you get a refrigerator. I won't say good luck, because luck is not involved. Instead, go for it!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agree!

Get a cooler for some basics. Shakes. Have some fruit and veggies. hard boiled eggs, Peanut Butter, There's more grab and go than you think when you think.

You're tired! But don't let it mess you up! You've worked WAY too hard for this.
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Love the support here :) been there done that... Coming back around myself!!! Never give up... NEVER .
  • twkelly
    twkelly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I couldn't help but notice your picture. It's a picture of a warrior so it grabbed my attention. There are several archetypes that people have as their nature and "warrior" is one of them. I use this archetype as well as I most identify with Warrior. I use this archetype to lose weight and get fit. It may sound crazy, but it works so well for me. When you feel like quitting, I simply picture myself as a warrior, I imagine that I'm completing whatever it is that I'm trying to complete and I imagine finishing , pull my shoulders back, stand tall, and picture myself over and over again as having completed that run, that home improvement work, or that walk. My entire body changes when I do this. This is called "changing your state". This means that I can do ANYTHING at anytime, and this is the mentality and belief I need to see my dreams come true. If you do this practice, you will find yourself within 1-2 minutes standing tall with amazing energy and determination. So, if you have work at home to do, your hungry and tired, maybe do what I do, picture yourself for a few minutes going outside and walking the driveway back and forth 50 times, or walking in place for an hour and succeeding. Picture that nothing, nothing can stop you. Do this every time and soon your body and your mind start to believe it and it all is "easy" and piece of cake. You will find an amazing unexpected energy in you that you never knew you had. I do this every day and nothing, absolutely nothing stops me. I overate yesterday at 8pm, went outside and did a very slow jog in my cul-de-sac for an hour using this warrior's power. I weighed 1.4 lbs less this morning than yesterday. I've lost 32 pounds since Christmas. So, do it. Believe you can, and do it no matter what! remember, warriors are persistent, determined, strong, never give up, strategize, disciplined, fearless and endure. They face 100% every challenge. You can do it, say "no" to doubt, and believe that you will succeed, no matter what, it with every cell in your body! You are the voice now, LEAD!

+1 This is awesome advice. Well written.
  • taylor_bby98
    Options
    I'm a teen fitness pal user and I can relate to you although I am far younger simply because when I hang out with friends and they eat what they want it frustrates me a bit. But what keeps me going is thinking about the future. How if I keep up the hard work I will be more confident and comfortable with myself. That's my motivation!! I hope that helps you a bit(: I know you can do it!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The remodeling in and of itself *should* be physically taxing. I'd take the physical-ness of fixing up the house and count it toward "exercise". You work up a sweat and feel physically tired? Might be "exercise" in another form.

As for falling off the wagon and eating fries, so? There really shouldn't be any food that is off limits...just foods you need to eat in moderation. That being said, there are such things as "trigger foods"...like cheese puffs and frozen yogurt for me. I eat one, I'm going to finish the container ASAP. Triggers a binge, so I really have to be careful around them. Truth be told, I haven't brought cheese puffs in the house in years. I still have frozen yogurt from time to time, but I really do finish the tub as quickly as I can, sometimes substituting it as my meal. I'm losing weight steadily, despite (because of?) it.

From the tone of your OP, you are making room for other more nutritionally sound foods by cutting out fries, burgers, etc. The things I am getting at is that there can still be room for the occasional burger with fries...just don't make it "your bread and butter" anymore.

Cheers!
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't beat yourself up when you do cheat. Without failure we would never know what success really feels like. I used to beat myself up if I fell off the wagon. I would feel guilty about it. I even felt guilty sometimes having a pre planned cheat meal. The trick for me is to make sure the good days far outweigh the bad ones and not to get hung up when I do have a moment of weakness. It happened get over it and regain my focus as quickly as possible. If you get hung up on it then what happens is you think well I cheated so why bother and you fall into a cycle. Its important to break that cycle. It must be hard not being able to prepare your food though and when your other half is eating all the good stuff its very hard not to follow suit. My gf used to say she felt embarrassed when i would ask in restaurants what the calories were in each item before i ordered if we were eating out lol :)
    I have my own fridge next to our fridge in the house that has my Tupperware containers with my prepared food and other food items that are specific to my diet but that doesnt really help you at the moment. Do you not have power at your place yet? Could you not just buy a little cheap fridge or take a cooler with ice packs in it? If im out for the day at meetings I always take a big bottle of water and some whey in a shaker ready to mix up and some fruit and nuts if i know im going to be out for awhile.

Put up post it notes on the bathroom mirror or somewhere that you will see them frequently that remind you why you are doing what you are doing. The mind and body connection for me are a very important but overlooked aspect of training. Visualizing is a very powerful FREE tool to getting where you want to go.