Spaghetti squash

Options
this weekend I tried spaghetti squash for the first time. I was a little skeptical at first, I am generally a picky eater. But it was absolutely delicious. I was at my sister in laws for the weekend and she made it because her husband is on a low carb diet ( thank goodness, I actually lost a pound visiting them for the weekend instead of gaining like a i would on a normal weekend away). I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for pasta alternatives.

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is soo delicious!!!! :)
  • jessimacar
    Options
    I tried it for the first time the other day, and it was great! I didn't quite understand how it became "spaghetti" so it was definitely a cool experience making it! Lol. I love when cooking is fun! :P
  • kolbyjack
    Options
    I agree! I made it lastnight and it was so much better than I thought it would be.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I started using it months back and have come to prefer it over real spaghetti. I usually have it about once a week. It is really good with spaghetti sauce and chicken!
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ugh I really don't like it, esp with red sauce. I should try another way to make it.

I love roasted butternut squash though, so go figure. Glad you like it, it's great to find a new food you like that's really good for you.

Ven
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    I have looked for a spaghetti squash but can't find them. Do you have to get them at some specialty store or something? I've been wanting to try it.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Ugh I really don't like it, esp with red sauce. I should try another way to make it.

I love roasted butternut squash though, so go figure. Glad you like it, it's great to find a new food you like that's really good for you.

Ven

Try a bit of basil and parm. cheese. It's pretty good as a side dish too.
  • happy115
    Options
    This recipe was a hit with the picky eater hubby.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx

I enjoy it a lot and have learned to just play around with sauces.... I made it once w/ this sauce: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/pasta-with-tomato-cream-sauce/ I used half and half and cut the sauce recipe in half. Just replace pasta w/ spaghetti squash.
  • Only1ladyk
    Only1ladyk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I Love Spaghetti Squash. The best way i found to make it is slice it in half, empty the seeds completely. Spinkle alittle coarse salt and pepper on it. Cover with wax paper and microwave for about 6-10 min until tender. When its cool enough to handle, use a fork and scrape the inside. It looks and has the texture of pasta.

I agree I like it with red sauce too, but i also heat a little EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) about 3 tablespoons, coarse salt, pepper, to taste and two or three cloves of fresh chopped garlic, (depending on how big the cloves are I don't want to over power the oil.) with about 2 tablespoons chopped onions. Let it cook unitl the veggies are tender, on low to medium heat, don't let the garlic burn. Drizzle it over the spaghetti with some parm cheese. I think its really good. Someone try it and let me know what you think or added.
  • CarrieAbbey
    Options
    How is it made?

cut it in half, scoop out the seeds then use a fork and poke holes on the inside and outside of the squash. Turn it upside down on a cookie sheet and bake in an oven for about 30-40 min at 350 degrees. After it cools a bit take a fork and pull the strands out.

Yummy
  • CarrieAbbey
    Options
    I have looked for a spaghetti squash but can't find them. Do you have to get them at some specialty store or something? I've been wanting to try it.
    I have found it in the grocery store but also at the farmer's market.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    It is also really good with spray butter, lemon and pepper spinkled on top!!! YUM
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I have never heard of this definitely going to have to try it! (Hopefully I can find it in a MN grocery store, it isn't a seasonal thing is it???)
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I really didn't like it. I love butternut and acorn squash but spaghetti squash kinda lost me....
  • HRgoldenlife
    HRgoldenlife Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make it the same as Carrie does but I do not let it cool, lol. I have used it as a base with some homemade pasta sauce, I have had it as a side dish with garlic, etc. You can do a lot with it
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    my parents grow it along side their house, it's a staple at supper...i just wrap it in tin foil and roast it in the oven for 45 minutes...put some dill in it (sometimes i put some margarine in it) and voila! that's really the only way i eat it:)
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This recipe was a hit with the picky eater hubby.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spaghetti-Squash-I/Detail.aspx

I enjoy it a lot and have learned to just play around with sauces.... I made it once w/ this sauce: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/09/pasta-with-tomato-cream-sauce/ I used half and half and cut the sauce recipe in half. Just replace pasta w/ spaghetti squash.

Mmmmm....those sound DELICIOUS!! Will have to try it that way next!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this definitely going to have to try it! (Hopefully I can find it in a MN grocery store, it isn't a seasonal thing is it???)

It is seasonal but now is the season.....it is part of a family called winter squashes. Usually long and oval in shape, and a bright yellow on the outside. If it is yellow and shaped like a bell, it is probably butternut squash.
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    I just cooked this up yesterday and had it again for lunch today. It replaces my wheat spaghetti and I don't even miss it. I love spaghetti squash it's wonderful :D Next time I'm going to do as suggested and try it with some herbs and pepper instead of the tomato sauce I normally use!
  • kkona3
    kkona3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is available in most grocery stores that I frequent, But maybe it is seasonal where you live. Try a place like Henry's, Whole Foods, Sprouts, or other new age grocery store.