CURE FOR DIABETES ????

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If recomending self education is giving medical advice then so be it. There is so much mis and dis information out there in the media these days, so many quack cures and so many public policy decisions driven by this missinformation that a bit of advocacy is not out of place
    I think it's great that you are advocating for diabetes, but do you see the impact of something like this:
    The point I'm trying to make is that the Blood Glucose and A1C levels that are used to make that designation still put the the "prediabetic" in the danger range for permanant tissue damamge. Just because your average is not above 140 does not mean you are not going above that with every carb heavy meal you eat.. The only way to know is to test your BG 90-120 minutes after your meals to see how high you peak with the various amounts and kind of carbs you eat . Any one can do this if they choose - you do not need a doctors order to do this testing - you can get a meter and strips from Walmart or you local chain Pharmacy if you choose. They are sold over the counter. The pharmacist will even help you learn how to do it if you want. If you spend a few bucks and find that your glucose metabolism is normal then good for you, but if not then you have a tool to help your self
    You are basically telling people to go to their local Walmart and pick up some strips, test their blood, and then decide on your recommendation whether they have diabetes or not. That's giving medical advice, for which you are not qualified. I also wonder if in certain states blood glucose monitor and strips might not be sold over the counter. I don't know, just a thought.

Diabetes needs to be diagnosed by a doctor, as does pre-diabetes.

The best of luck to you.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If recomending self education is giving medical advice then so be it. There is so much mis and dis information out there in the media these days, so many quack cures and so many public policy decisions driven by this missinformation that a bit of advocacy is not out of place
    I think it's great that you are advocating for diabetes, but do you see the impact of something like this:
    The point I'm trying to make is that the Blood Glucose and A1C levels that are used to make that designation still put the the "prediabetic" in the danger range for permanant tissue damamge. Just because your average is not above 140 does not mean you are not going above that with every carb heavy meal you eat.. The only way to know is to test your BG 90-120 minutes after your meals to see how high you peak with the various amounts and kind of carbs you eat . Any one can do this if they choose - you do not need a doctors order to do this testing - you can get a meter and strips from Walmart or you local chain Pharmacy if you choose. They are sold over the counter. The pharmacist will even help you learn how to do it if you want. If you spend a few bucks and find that your glucose metabolism is normal then good for you, but if not then you have a tool to help your self
    You are basically telling people to go to their local Walmart and pick up some strips, test their blood, and then decide on your recommendation whether they have diabetes or not. That's giving medical advice, for which you are not qualified. I also wonder if in certain states blood glucose monitor and strips might not be sold over the counter. I don't know, just a thought.

The best of luck to you.
    Regarding the "advice"
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here ...

Personally, I think the poster (2hobbit1) is giving EXCELLENT advice which, while seemingly of a medical nature, is NOT technically medical advice.

2hobbit one did not suggest that laypeople were diagnosing diabetes, but determining if they have impaired glucose metabolism.

Would you suggest only a doctor diagnose a fever? Or would you go to walmart and buy a thermometer, and test, and see if you have a fever?

It's the EXACT same situation - you're simply looking at a meter reading.

The advice 2hobbit one is giving is not only ACCURATE, it's IMPORTANT and often critically-overlooked by many individuals and our health-care system as a whole.

On the subject of Pre-Diabetes
    While I agree that many individuals diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" are often in the danger zone for causing damage ... (both the AACE - the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists and the IDF - the International Diabetes Assocation - have position papers and guidelines that unequivocally state that any blood glucose level above 140mg/dl or 7.8mmol/L causes damage - as this is scientific fact...)

... I still think there's room for the term in that MOST people diagnosed as 'pre-diabetic' by the current diagnostic criteria have an incredibly good chance of completely eliminating their symptoms and repairing their glucose metabolism before it causes permanent damage.

Unfortunately most diagnosed with "full-blown" diabetes have caused at least a little permanent damage - whether vascular or of an endocrinological nature.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    To more-simply clarify what I was stating above...)
    While this is true when it comes to official medical records ... Non-physicians are perfectly-capable of using a meter to determine if they have an impaired glucose tolerance. Much like they're perfectly-capable of determining if they have a fever.

And for the record - I *am* fully-qualified to make that statement.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

This guy is being sued by the American Medical Board
    Actually, Mr. Cooksey was being sued by the North Carolina Dietetic board (the state board that regulates dieticians/nutritionists in North Carolina)

The problem was his advice conflicts with theirs. His advice is also correct while theirs is absolutely incorrect. (BTW they're almost fully-funded by a combination of food and pharmaceutical giants - so the conflict of interest is enormous.)

Basically, he was giving advice on his website that contradicts what their state-regulated dieticians would provide, and he had actual scientific research/evidence backing it up. And they had no evidence to support their stance.

So they sued him. And lost. :)
  • Beley1984
    Beley1984 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi everyone! Id like also to share my thoughts about this.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Actually, Mr. Cooksey was being sued by the North Carolina Dietetic board (the state board that regulates dieticians/nutritionists in North Carolina)

The problem was his advice conflicts with theirs. His advice is also correct while theirs is absolutely incorrect. (BTW they're almost fully-funded by a combination of food and pharmaceutical giants - so the conflict of interest is enormous.)

Basically, he was giving advice on his website that contradicts what their state-regulated dieticians would provide, and he had actual scientific research/evidence backing it up. And they had no evidence to support their stance.

Not quite. He's a Paleo/Primal blogger who encourages diabetics to go on the Paleo diet.

A complaint was made to The North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition that he was practicing nutrition without a licence.

The Board investigated the claim and told him that he was violating state law by providing nutrition advice without qualifications and a licence. They demanded changes to his site so that it did not appear that he was practicing nutrition. He agreed to the changes and the complaint was closed. He made a huge drama about it, accusing the the NCBoD of foul play even though the complaint was closed. He got good publicity, particularly from the Paleo followers and the likes of Natural News and Mercola, which speaks volumes about his credibility.

It's funny how stories get twisted....
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think "cured" is the right term - I agree with saying it's more of a remission. However, if you change your lifestyle to the point where you function at normal bs levels then good for you - doesn't matter if you consider yourself cured you saved yourself.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

Not quite. He's a Paleo/Primal blogger who encourages diabetics to go on the Paleo diet.

A complaint was made to The North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition that he was practicing nutrition without a licence.

The Board investigated the claim and told him that he was violating state law by providing nutrition advice without qualifications and a licence. They demanded changes to his site so that it did not appear that he was practicing nutrition. He agreed to the changes and the complaint was closed. He made a huge drama about it, accusing the the NCBoD of foul play even though the complaint was closed. He got good publicity, particularly from the Paleo followers and the likes of Natural News and Mercola, which speaks volumes about his credibility.

It's funny how stories get twisted....
    True, looking deeper into it he wasn't "sued" but investigated.

However most of what you write is the story from the North Carolina BoD. If you look online at some of what they sent him - they told him that basically everything that is truly covered by free speech amounted to "assessing and informing" and required a license.

They claim suggesting that diabetics get blood sugar under control "require a license". The told him helping people "lose weight" requires a license. Not kidding. It's freely available to look at. They seriously wanted to shut him up and shut him down.

The full truth is somewhere in between what both parties would have you believe.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

The best of luck to you.
    Nevermind that without a prescription those test strips cost $150 for a small bottle. I had to go through that mess.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Nevermind that without a prescription those test strips cost $150 for a small bottle. I had to go through that mess.
    That's not even remotely correct.

With their "ReliOn" meter you can get test strips anywhere from $9 to $20 for the bottle. Even the "brand name" products cost considerably less than you suggest. Heck, you can get a ReliOn meter AND 100 test strips for $36 total.

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/diabetic-test-strips
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

With their "ReliOn" meter you can get test strips anywhere from $9 to $20 for the bottle. Even the "brand name" products cost considerably less than you suggest. Heck, you can get a ReliOn meter AND 100 test strips for $36 total.

You're right, I did not buy my strips for $150 from CVS. I have no idea what I'm talking about. LALALALALA
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I personally don't think "cured" is the right term - I agree with saying it's more of a remission. However, if you change your lifestyle to the point where you function at normal bs levels then good for you - doesn't matter if you consider yourself cured you saved yourself.
    There's currently no medical consensus on whether someone who reverses all symptoms is cured, controlled, etc. I can see arguments (logical and medical) for both sides - but I doubt we'll have a consensus in the next 10 years ... People are free to call it what they're comfortable with.

I'm more-comfortable with the term "controlled".

Myself, I now have an HbA1c in the 5.2% range - within normal non-diabetic levels - and am free from all diabetic complications. Am I cured? No - I have a pancreas that produces very little insulin. Obviously I'm not cured - I'm controlled.

If, however, someone has NO symptoms, complications, deficiencies, etc., etc., and maintains healthy glucose metabolism throughout their life (whether by diet, exercise or a combination of both) they could certainly be considered "cured" - at least of the symptoms/complications - even though it's because they "control" it.
  • albertabeefy
    Options

You're right, I did not buy my strips for $150 from CVS. I have no idea what I'm talking about. LALALALALA
    Well, you bought brand-name strips at full price from a full-price pharmacy and got no better reliability than the same strips for $10 from Wal-Mart.

I guess you don't want to hear that and still think I'm somehow incorrect?