Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No, you should start with p89x.
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I really like P90X and modify where I need to (i.e. we have a pull-up bar but I have yet to be able to do even ONE pull-up so I use a resistance band looped around the support beam in our basement. :) Time is a factor, and here's a tip for condensing it a bit: on the weight days, I sometimes skip the DVD forward through some of the breaks in between sets. It cuts down the time a bit and it also helps keep my heart rate up. I'm starting the 13-week series again on April 7th. Good luck!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    "Ha ha, only if she's 5'3"!"

I call P90X the hardest 3 weeks of your life (before you quit), hahaha. So many pull ups (You can use a chair and there are many variations of the movements) and overall a super strenuous workout with little breaks for most of the people doing it. If it's any consolation, now that you know most people who start it are overreaching then why not throw your hat in the ring.

lol well put.

anyone can do p90x if you modify. personally i think the program is most optimal if you can already perform a few pull ups.

the p in p90x stands for pull ups lol

actually i stands for power. And there is a program by Tony called Power 90, which is the precussor to p90x and is presumably easier, might want to start there or even with p90x3
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I started on Monday and I've loved it...for the last four days-ha! :D Yes I do have to modify, and I still do extra cardio on the days that it's more about lifting, but I feel like as long as I keep trying I'll be able to do everything. If I make it all the way through, which I really want to do, I'll probably repeat the program or do insanity.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I really like P90X and modify where I need to (i.e. we have a pull-up bar but I have yet to be able to do even ONE pull-up so I use a resistance band looped around the support beam in our basement. :) Time is a factor, and here's a tip for condensing it a bit: on the weight days, I sometimes skip the DVD forward through some of the breaks in between sets. It cuts down the time a bit and it also helps keep my heart rate up. I'm starting the 13-week series again on April 7th. Good luck!

Yeah when they're doing their breaks I just jog or do butt kickers for a minute to boost my heart rate. I don't like letting it go down and then having to lift weights again. :/
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options

Yeah when they're doing their breaks I just jog or do butt kickers for a minute to boost my heart rate. I don't like letting it go down and then having to lift weights again. :/

i barely have enough time to write down what i did and then pick the next weight. found the pace of sets to be very fast compared to what people typically wait between sets.

are you guys doing less then 8 reps? my last few reps i struggle through and it can take a bit.

i've seen others say this though, i don't understand how you end up with some much down time
  • duscsm
    duscsm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I first started p90x, I only did the first 30 min of each workout. It wasn't a full workout, but it was enough to keep me going without quitting. (especially because of the time committment) I guess I sorta made my own "p90x3" before it came out! And it was still enough for me to see some results, without getting burned out too quickly. I had to work up to doing the full track consistently.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options

i barely have enough time to write down what i did and then pick the next weight. found the pace of sets to be very fast compared to what people typically wait between sets.

are you guys doing less then 8 reps? my last few reps i struggle through and it can take a bit.

i've seen others say this though, i don't understand how you end up with some much down time

I do 12-15 and I can remember my numbers and write them all down right after the sets are over. I use lighter weights, like I think 15s are the heaviest I use and some of the things have me pretty much screaming at 12 reps so I have to stop >_< But sometimes after I'm done they're still going or they're doing something that's max reps- like the chair dips. I can do 12 chair dips and they're doing like 20 so I have time to jog in place. But yeah- some I'm totally scrambling on to get to the next set xD