Must-Haves

Options
What are some must-have foods, prepackaged foods, snacks, fruits, vegetables, drinks, liquor, whatever that you ALWAYS have to have on hand that are a big part of your ability to stay focused on your calories and comfortably meet your goals? Or that you just have to keep around because it's so good, or that is surprisingly low calorie for how good it is?

Replies

• littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Cottage Cheese
    Berries
    Almonds
  • letmerun
    letmerun Posts: 15
    Options
    Carrots, bananas, eggs, red kidney beans. Some herbs and spices (cayenne pepper, rosemary, etc).
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like having cottage cheese in the fridge because if all else fails, I know I can mix it with cinnamon and BAM got myself a lovely snack.

My stupid guilt lately has been mini breton crackers. About 20 of those babies for 100 calories!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What are some must-have foods, prepackaged foods, snacks, fruits, vegetables, drinks, liquor, whatever that you ALWAYS have to have on hand that are a big part of your ability to stay focused on your calories and comfortably meet your goals? Or that you just have to keep around because it's so good, or that is surprisingly low calorie for how good it is?

I typically have the following on hand.

Greek yogurt (yoplait non fat 50 cal 8g protien)
    Lean cuisine chicken in wine sauce...for quick lunches
    Stouffers skillet meals - quick dinners
    Shrimp to add to skillet meals for protien
    Canned salmon, crab, marble cheese, toppable crackers, avocadoes for lunch
    chocolate (milk chocolate)
    vodka 40 calories an oz, mixed with club soda and water flavor or diet cran/pom juice (10calories a cup)
    Eggs always
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

vodka 40 calories an oz, mixed with club soda and water flavor or diet cran/pom juice (10calories a cup)

Oooh, that sounds awesome! May have to steal your idea... lol

I always have on hand:
    Eggs
    Cheese
    Low sodium lunch meat
    Chicken breasts
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    bump! Love the ideas :-)
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Tortilla wraps
    Lower calorie microwave meals for lunches on days I need something quick
    Popcorn
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Red peppers and strawberries. I'd eat them even if they were packed with trans fats.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The foods that are must haves for me depends on my day, week, or mood. Each week is different for me because the only foods I don't eat are the ones I don't like.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Roasted garlic hummus.

I am addicted.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bourbon
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    - Eggs
    - Milk, 2%
    - Red peppers
    - Almonds w/sea salt
    - Greek yogourt
    - Seedless raspberry jam
    - Cream cheese

- Six Star Whey Isolate protein (Decadent chocolate!)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and chips for the indulgence.

Yogurt, fresh fruit, nuts, eggs for the healthier side.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    - Protein Powder
    - Bananas
    - Yoghurt (greek for smoothies, yoplait for snacks)
    - Old fashioned oats
    - Frozen spinach for smoothies
    - Frozen berries for smoothies and oatmeal
    - Brown sugar or maple syrup for oatmeal
    - Barilla plus pasta
    - Red wine tomato sauce
    - Parmasean
    - Skim milk
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies (I love them all so it doesn't matter as long as the fridge is stocked).
    My chicken breast lunch meat (I seem to take that for lunch often - as it's easy, I know how many slices are a serving and when all else fails it's there)
    Cheese
    Egg Whites

and

WINE.....I love my red wine, I have a glass most nights and have it fit into my calories. I pretty much gave up my regular soda (yes I have had a few-but it's mostly gone) I refuse to give up my wine too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    eggs
    bell pepper
    mushrooms
    cheese
    baby carrots
    frozen spinach, broccoli & berries
    Fage 0% plain yogurt
    100% whole wheat bread

If all else fails I can sauté some of the veggies and have that for a meal with some cheese & Sriracha on top.

Also...in the cabinet I must have one or all of the following; semisweet chocolate chips, marshmallow crème, Nutkao, cookie butter, peanut butter, and a selection of unsalted nuts. I cannot tell you how many times this has helped me avoid going out for ice cream or to buy a full-size chocolate bar. I know these can be triggers for some people...for me they are not. I could never have a package of Oreos, Chips Ahoy, or Halloween/Easter candy around...I'd eat it all. My husband's kind of like that with ice cream, I think. But these things are perfect for me to get that sugar/fat fix and put cravings to rest.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Food I always have on hand because it's low cal and healthy or filling:
    -Morning star 1/4 lb black bean burgers (Costco, lives in the freezer, takes 2 mins in microwave, very filling, high protein)
    -Baby carrots
    -Bananas
    -2%Cottage cheese and jarred peaches (yes the peaches are in a light syrup, but I try to shake a ton of it off. fresh peaches are nice but don't keep well).
    -TEA omg so much tea. Way better than juice and just as fruity.
    -Mr Jack's Special salsa (medium) from Costco because 10 calories per 30 g is awesome.
    -Tableside brand greek yoghurt guacamole (Costco, in 70 calorie pre-packaged pouches)

Food I always have on hand because I can do moderation:
    -Individually wrapped chocolates (truffles, dove chocolate squares, anything that you can have 40-60 calories of and walk away)
    -Tostitos scoops. Yeah, they're salty and high fat, but they are also only 140 calories for 1 serving (28 grams). I will often have a 1/2 serving plus a 70 cal guacamole and feel like this is a lifestyle change, I can have delicious things, etc.
    -Individually packaged ice cream treats. I really like skinnycow ice cream sandwiches and Giant Food house brand Big Tub Of Low Fat Ice Cream. One serving is usually between 140-160 calories.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My must-have foods may sound silly, but that's because I don't diet I just eat the stuff we have around the house because that's how things are being a college student at home with no money. :laugh:

-CHEESE - I cannot stress cheese enough. I cannot live without cheese.
    -Meat - Be it lunch meat, beef, pork, chicken, fish, I've gotta have my meat.
    -My 45 calories and delightful bread - I prefer the taste of this to other breads and it makes just as good as sandwich to take to school

Those are really my only must-haves because they make me happy~
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Bananas
    100 calorie wholly guacamole!!
    Wheat thins (to dip in the guacamole)
    Thin mints
    Mushrooms
    Eggs
    Popcorn
    Lean Cuisine
    String Cheese
    Pears
    Frozen Grapes
    90 Calorie Fiber one Brownies/Cookies
  • hannaawh
    hannaawh Posts: 51
    Options
    Cottage cheese, definitely. It's sooo low in calories and you can make a salad out of it (70gr cottages cheese and as many cucumbers, tomatoes etc as you want) for around 100 calories! SO LOVELY.
    But also; Apples, canned vegetables (my favourite) and fruits fruits fruits!