Too much coffee?

Options
I think I am addicted to coffee. I start with two mugs of black filter coffee in the morning, followed by another 3 mugs of instant coffee during the day. In the weekends, I drink less coffee, just the 2 mugs in the morning. I don’t add sugar or milk to my coffee so this habit does really affect my daily calories intake - well, not entirely true, each mug of filter coffee has 3 calories.

I am however not sure what this is doing to my health or digestion system.

Views?

Replies

• enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    At 2-5 cups a day, I don't suspect you're causing any problems to your health whatsoever. Unless you're sensitive to caffeine. But I assume you wouldn't be consuming coffee every day if it caused you headaches, jitteriness, sleep issues, etc.
  • django_girl
    django_girl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No, no such symptoms at all. I get headaches if I don't drink coffee.:smile:
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is that caffeinated drinks make it harder for our bodies to absorb water, but as long as you're drinking plenty of that as well you should be ok...?
  • rezrighter
    Options
    You might have an addiction... I know I deal with similar issues, I usually have 14-16 oz brewed coffee most mornings, weekends I have 2 10 oz mugs with milk and sugar as a treat. if I dont I get headachs throughout the day. These are symptoms of withdrawl which I have come to accept, in trade to being awake in the morning at work.

As far as medical effect, keep an eye on your resting pulse, if you have a high resting bpm hart rate, this can cause hart problems later in life, much later.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to my consumption patterns. I drink a 4-7 cups a day at work because it's freely available. I do find that having a cup of coffee helps to quell the urge to eat something.

The main issue I have is mild heartburn.
  • django_girl
    Options
    Good to know I am not the only one!
  • django_girl
    Options
    Thanks. I drink at least 1 liter of water a day. I should be fine then.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    FWIW My grandmother drinks coffee all day and all night and she is 93 with no health issues.
  • robinerikson
    Options
    If you drink too much coffee, you should also drink plenty of water. I drink coffee too (moderately, not as much as you drink) because I think that one of the things that keeps me alive and lively everyday. Hehe. So cheers!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day- if left to my own devices I'll drink coffee from 8 AM to about 2 PM before I realize I need to eat anything.

If you find it causing issues- dial it back- but I mean- otherwise- have at it.

if I stop doing coffee- I stop doing the words- and walking and things.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    No, no such symptoms at all. I get headaches if I don't drink coffee.:smile:

Then you do have a caffeine dependency issue. My mom used to have crushing headaches if she didn't have a Diet Mountain Dew (and the subsequent caffeine from it) in the mornings, so if you're experiencing headaches without your coffee then you probably need to wean off of it, and at least reduce the amount you're consuming.

My tolerance to caffeine is EXTREMELY high. I will have 2-4 cups of coffee or energy drinks throughout the day and literally feel nothing more than a *mild* difference in energy/heart rate. Conversely, I can have no caffeine at all for a week plus, and not have any ill effects. Basically, caffeine's effects are a unicorn to me.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options

A liter of water a day is well below what you should be drinking, even without the coffee! Maybe try to get yourself to drink a cup of water between cups of coffee to up your water intake. A lot of daytime fatigue is due to dehydration anyway, so it can only help.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If you think you have a problem, maybe you should stop drinking coffee and see if anything changes for the good or for worse. Then make a decision.

I did just that recently. I went from a pot (12 cups) a day for years to 2 cups a day. I did this for about two weeks and the only things I noticed was that I ate breakfast earlier, and that my bathroom routine got screwed up.
    I'm back at a pot a day now.

Oh yeah and DRINK MORE WATER :D I drink 4 or 5 40oz bottles a day. More if I'm working outside in the summer.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You might have n addiction!!:bigsmile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is that caffeinated drinks make it harder for our bodies to absorb water, but as long as you're drinking plenty of that as well you should be ok...?

Not quite true...the water in coffee, etc, is mainly used to flush out the purines and other chemicals in the caffeine, so it travels through us faster So all the water in your coffee doesn't actually get absorbed as much as drinking plain water. As long as you're getting enough water on top of your coffee, you'll be fine. I personally don't count my coffee or black tea as water intake. I drink water first thing and I wait until I've had two glasses of water before I make another cup of coffee. Repeat until I'm properly caffeinated.
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    From what I understand coffee is both an appetite suppressant and kick starts the metabolism.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options

A liter of water a day is well below what you should be drinking, even without the coffee! Maybe try to get yourself to drink a cup of water between cups of coffee to up your water intake. A lot of daytime fatigue is due to dehydration anyway, so it can only help.

This. 1L is not close to enough.

Otherwise, I too love coffee. *cheers* :drinker:
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    coffee_zpsaa1e9a77.jpg
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think I am addicted to coffee. I start with two mugs of black filter coffee in the morning, followed by another 3 mugs of instant coffee during the day. In the weekends, I drink less coffee, just the 2 mugs in the morning. I don’t add sugar or milk to my coffee so this habit does really affect my daily calories intake - well, not entirely true, each mug of filter coffee has 3 calories.

I am however not sure what this is doing to my health or digestion system.

Views?

I'm currently in the 1.5g of caffeine a day range, so I hope there are no negatives to it
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much coffee, imo.