QUESTION: Weight Loss and Unwanted Body Hair (WOMEN)

Options
Hello!

Here's the question: have any of you noticed unwanted facial hair improving with weight loss? Or did you find that body/face hair got worse with weight gain?

I have been borderline obese for about a year now, and am starting to realize my facial hair has gotten slightly worse (its still fine hair thankfully but quite long now :/). I am confident that my body will adjust and improve once I stop dumping sugar and alcohol into it, but was wondering if anyone else had experience?

(Btw, I do know about PCOS and its symptoms. I plan on getting checked if weight loss/eating healthy doesn't improve my symptoms)

Replies

• StephanieMM2013
    Options
    Bump... Please answer! :)
  • betseyjane
    betseyjane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if weight gain was the culprit of my body hair (neck and face), or if it was pregnancy (5 years later), or what. I've recently started laser hair removal though - because I doubt that, for me, it would go away even if I continue to lose weight. I still have about 20 pounds left to lose - so we'll see...
  • mnfarmgal
    mnfarmgal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would so love to hear about anybody else's experience with this also.. because i'm hoping it's also because of my excess weight..
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Lanugo? Are you eating enough?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanugo
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Well, as I think of it theoretically, it might be that when you are obese, your skin stores more fat and water in it's cells thus making your skin thicker and hiding most part of hair length. Actually, I am not obese, not even a bit overweight, but I notice that in comparison, I have too much body hair as a woman ( On belly). I wonder if it is because of my love for sweets and earlier I was using a lot of sugar, so I try to eat more plant based foods currently with less sweets. Would like to see what influence it has on me.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have had it most of my life ( from pcos). According to my old endo once the progesterone triggers the follicle to grow the thicker hair it remains that way. Ive lost 65 now and no improvement. But there is a cream you can use ( prescription) called Vaniqa that blocks the progesterone receptors and over time helps. Combined with laser its the most effective. Although with severe hirsutism they dont always work. I did 8 sessions ( with out vaniqa) and it all came back. Now im saving for a redo at some point with the cream
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Genetics were the ticking time bomb in my facial hair woes. As I get older, I get more coarse and/or dark hairs. I can stay on top of most of them with a pair of tweezers, but it's annoying. And, some have been around so long, they've gone white like many of the hairs on my 42 year old head. I don't notice any difference from now to 30lbs ago. My mom and my grandmother are to thank for this curse....as well as my stupid bunion!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I would say it's hormonal. I started getting a few unwanted hairs during my pregnancies. Now I have about a dozen that I tweeze regularly... I am normal weight and was before my pregnancies too. The hairs didn't show up until the hormones went wacky :laugh:
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and when I was obese it was definitely worse, although it is still a significant problem for me. I also was at a moderate to severe level of hirsutism for a few years, so it is going to take some time for it to settle down. My hairs are thick (VERY THICK, like thicker than you knew hair could get), dark, and many! Now I'm right around the border between normal and overweight, but I've been here for about a year and a half and my symptoms are still quite bad. Hoping to get medication to help in a month or so. Also, if you DO have PCOS the things you are eating will have a significant impact on these symptoms, specifically dairy and high glycemic index foods!
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    Options
    I use tweezers everyday, a no-no a couple of times a week, and Nair on occasion.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    also forgot to add. Endo told me fat stores testosterone in women, higher testosterone in women also makes it easier to gain weight. Weight loss will help it from getting worse
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    Options
    oh, and Vaniqa, I used to use Vaniqa, but I ran out nearly two years ago :P
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    Options
    also forgot to add. Endo told me fat stores testosterone in women, higher testosterone in women also makes it easier to gain weight. Weight loss will help it from getting worse

precisely!
  • toniistracking
    toniistracking Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the genetics and hormones. I believe hormones change with diet and exercise but I can't say I've seen improvement over the years. If anything it gets worse. This is my experience, sorry!