what workouts for a bummed knee?

Options
Hey everyone, I have a question. I have a bad knee and trying to loss weight but alot of stuff I can't do. I am trying to target my hips, thighs and belly area. I have been running and using the indoor bike but I think that doing both is too much. Does anyone have suggestions on good workouts that target those area but be gentle on my knee?
Thanks everyone in advance :)

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The biking should be OK, but the running can be hard on the knees if they're already injured. I would suggest biking outside (I'm in MI so that would be IF it ever warms up here...). Swimming would be great too. If you want to keep running, or try to, look into the Galloway method. It's run/walk intervals and much less taxing on your joints.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with the biking and swimming :) I have hyperextension and the impact of running can cause my ankles and knees to give out, because of this I don't run too much although I'd like to think I will when I lose excess weight :) For me walking is brilliant, I walk with the dogs and just about everywhere I can around the village. Try walking as this is lower impact, you will burn less calories but as they say... every little helps :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Bad knee? Can you be a little more specific? Have you got an actual diagnosis?

I've got two "bad knees" and my particular injuries mean I need to avoid or at least severly limit impact. Running outdoors on a hard surface is about the worst thing I can do but depends on what your injuries are.

But I can cycle (a lot!!), use the rowing machine, elliptical, stair climber and do some (but not all) leg strength exercises.

Having strong leg muscles will help support your knee but you need to work out what you can and cannot do to build strength.

Really need a bit more context.
  • jbnjul17
    jbnjul17 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks... I live In VT so its to damn cold and crappy to do anything outside right know and it cost to much to keep going and pay the fee... Once its summer Ill try that and until then Ill just try and do a little less and eat better. Thanks so much for your help.
    And sorry I guess I should have explain more. I have a partially torn ACL that they can't do surgery on because I waited to long til I got it checked out (Im way to much of a procrastinator) so it is healed as well at it will ever be unless I tear it the rest of the way (HA yea hope that never happens)