Plant Based Diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sorry everybody, I did not meen to start arguments about this topic! Just wanted a bit a feedback !
    There are many people who have eaten plant based only for many years, and are very healthy. (Google Michael Arnstein, or Doug Graham, or Caldwell Esselstyn, or Rip Esselstyn, or Brendan Brazier, or Ruth Heidrich)

The people to listen to are those who have actually made the leap. I ate meat for 30+ years. I know what it feels like to try and exercise on what society considers a "healthy" diet. I used to eat steamed veggies for dinner, with lean chicken breast, and a little brown rice, and was a lot slower in my workouts, and a lot slower to recover. I think more clearly now. Load up on the fruit and salad. Eat all the homemade veggie soup you want. You will feel great, and that is coming from someone who has actually tried both ways of eating.

Maybe your performance suffered because you were eating too little?

I eat all the foods that you do not and have had no issues with my training..

I just hit 365# on deadliftss, which is a PR for me ...

Oh, and I do not get a check from the meat industry, I just have them send me a box of steaks each month...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This seems to backup other research that points to processed meats as the culprit for increased risk of colon cancer. Though there is some evidence that it could be genetic.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131024102150.htm

I think the more interesting conclusion in that study was the lack of a link to red meat. As for processed meats, as much as I love bacon I do limit my consumption, largely based on this and other studies.

Yes, that's what I meant, though I guess I didn't actually say it. There have been a few other studies that suggest the link between red meat and colon cancer may only exist because most studies lump red meat and processed meats together for analysis.
  • twowheeltam
    twowheeltam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just finish watching ,"Forks over Knives" and I must say , lots of interesting things on there, especially the part on Protein!! All meat protein are bad for you! Even chicken and turkey , according to the show. My question is,are there anybody on here on this Plant base diet? And how did you lean off all meat ?

I don't think this was far-fetched at all! The chemicals that they treat our foods with are crazy. After I watched Forks Over Knives, I tried the plant based diet for a few months and just couldn't stay full. I had to get some meat back into my diet (besides, I'm an Ohio farm girl). We opted instead to buy locally raised meats, straight from the local hog farm and we have that delivered to our meat cutter. My father-in-law has a cattle farm so he finds a steer for us and we know it's grass fed, no hormones and again, our meat cutter so we know it's not taking a bath in ammonia, bleach, etc. Still try to be meat-free at least 3-4 days a week, but buying locally is definitely going to give you a healthier alternative.

We opted to eliminate ALL processed and packaged foods instead. We buy locally produced honey straight from the beekeeper, we have an abundance of Mennonite and Amish families that produce pure Ohio maple syrup and we grow what we can on our own and shop local farmer's markets in season.

You have to do what's right for you, but don't let others criticize you because of the impact something like this has on you. Shame on them, we're supposed to build each other up.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just finish watching ,"Forks over Knives" and I must say , lots of interesting things on there, especially the part on Protein!! All meat protein are bad for you! Even chicken and turkey , according to the show. My question is,are there anybody on here on this Plant base diet? And how did you lean off all meat ?

I think Forks over Knives and other documentaries of this sort (Hungry or Change, Food Matters, Vegucated) are fantastic conversation starters as well as catalysts, sparking people's interest in nutrition and what they put into their bodies. Do I have my own opinions and experiences regarding the optimal nutritional and ethical paths for myself? Absolutely. But I think the healthiest first step is to become cognizant of how we feed ourselves, educate ourselves and make informed decisions about what we eat. If you found Forks over Knives intriguing, I would encourage you to dig deeper and use the documentary as a spring board.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry everybody, I did not meen to start arguments about this topic! Just wanted a bit a feedback !
    There are many people who have eaten plant based only for many years, and are very healthy. (Google Michael Arnstein, or Doug Graham, or Caldwell Esselstyn, or Rip Esselstyn, or Brendan Brazier, or Ruth Heidrich)

The people to listen to are those who have actually made the leap. I ate meat for 30+ years. I know what it feels like to try and exercise on what society considers a "healthy" diet. I used to eat steamed veggies for dinner, with lean chicken breast, and a little brown rice, and was a lot slower in my workouts, and a lot slower to recover. I think more clearly now. Load up on the fruit and salad. Eat all the homemade veggie soup you want. You will feel great, and that is coming from someone who has actually tried both ways of eating.

Oh, and I do not get a check from the meat industry, I just have them send me a box of steaks each month...
    If i wasn't getting enough calories, i wouldn't have been gaining weight, both fat and muscle. I just hope they send you some potatoes to go with that steak.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I keep hoping that the booze industry will start sending ME boxes of stuff each month.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm on a plant based diet. I just like to feed the plants to animals and then eat the animals. It's still plant based and plenty healthy.

Haha! That's great.

I actually was a strict vegetarian for 3 years and now I eat meat and fish occasionally. For me, I operate better when I don't eat meat. It's a personal choice and I don't think meat is evil or that everyone should stop eating it altogether. But I do think most people eat too much meat and could benefit from a few vegetarian meals a week. Give it a try and see if it is for you!

I did try it. Never again. It was too hard to get the necessary nutrition and during the course of it my iron levels fell low enough where, for the first and only time in my life, I wasn't permitted to give blood.

Yikes. But like I said, varies person to person. I actually meant for the OP to give it a try if he was interested in it. Sorry for not redirecting!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

If i wasn't getting enough calories, i wouldn't have been gaining weight, both fat and muscle. I just hope they send you some potatoes to go with that steak.

Coming from someone who has tried both ways is a good point but I can't help but point out that you have zero muscle mass and a higher bodyfat % than most people on here would desire. You'll probably just scoff at this but it is an important thing to take into consideration. You wouldn't ask a janitor how to become rich.