Plantar fasciitis

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions on workout videos or exercise plans that do not involve impact to the feet? I have plantar fasciitis in both feet and can't run or do aerobics anymore :( . I know I can walk, swim, bike, do yoga, but I'm looking for something that really gets my heart rate going. I need to be able to do these exercises at home (no time in my schedule to go to a gym). Any suggestions are appreciated, especially if they are videos or iPhone apps. Thanks!

Replies

• KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know biking and swimming can get the heart rate going, but sometimes the weather is not conducive to biking, and right now it's too cold to swim.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    minimus shoes helped me out incredibly.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Go to your local running store, get fitted and talk to someone about shoes and other things that can help. They have a ton of info and its free!
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I would google stretches for plantar fasciitis. Calf stretches REALLY help. I would investigate getting orthotics. I would freeze small bottles of water, wrap in a towel, and roll my feet on the frozen bottles. That really helps. And lastly, go on YouTube and search for chair exercises or other exercises for those with plantar fascitis.

Hope this helps.
  • figueirt
    figueirt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells will get your heart rate up!
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I had PF last year. Taking a towel and placing right under toes then stretch foot helps a lot, as well as rolling frozen water bottles under my feet. I also bought a GOOD PAIR of neutral running shoes. I haven't had issues since.
  • Lladnaar
    Lladnaar Posts: 6
    Options
    During the winter evenings I do intervals on a stationary bike. My standard set has my heart rate up at 90% for 1 minute of each of the 8 intervals. I started this routine largely to relieve the monotony of stationary exercise, as it has me changing effort every minute or two. But it's actually aided my regular outdoor cycling quite a bit.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a podiatrist? Orthotics fit in good running shoes (or any shoes that the insole can be removed from), and make a big difference. I could hardly get out of bed without being in agony until I got them.
    Also, they can show you how to stretch before getting out of bed to minimize pain upon standing.
    I rarely have a problem with mine anymore and it was really bad!
    good luck!
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cortisone shot. I had PF in both feet and got cortisone shots back in 1999 and haven't had a problem with PF since. Of course, I wear my doctor recommended (not dr scholl from grocery store) inserts religiously as well, but why live with pain when there is a fairly simple (although painful for a minute) solution?

ETA: I know this wasn't what your original question was, but I hate to see people live in pain when it is easily solved.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I had the cortisone shot and it did nothing for me. I had to wear an "air boot", refrain from all exercise (except swimming), had special orthotics made and did months of physical therapy. It kicked in in October but I didn't go see the DR until the beginning of December and was wearing the boot until March when I finally decided to get rid of it. I did the therapy from December until probably May. It still flares up from time to time and I have to back off on what I'm doing. Ice really helped too but what ever you decide to do - get it taken care of ASAP so you don't battle to get rid of it. Good Luck.
  • LoveMyLife_NYC
    LoveMyLife_NYC Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I've been dealing with PF since November. Lifting weights/body weight exercises will keep you strong! And hiking is harder than walking and can help get your heart rate up.

People recommended a special sock that you wear at night to keep the calf muscle stretched at night. It helped sort of, but it was uncomfortable and I found I was taking it off in my sleep in the middle of the night. I found massaging my calf muscles and my arch really help a lot. Also, if you squat down to the ground and then lean forward slightly while keeping your heel on the ground, that will stretch the heel.

Good luck!
  • KristieJC
    Options
    Wow, thanks, everyone!

I've been seeing a podiatrist. I wear good tennis shoes with orthotics all day long, I do the daily stretches, take ibuprofen through the day, and have had a few steroid shots as well as oral steroids. She said some people will get past it and not have further problems, but some (like her) battle it forever. I may be one of those people. When I stay on top of all these things, I don't have pain. But when I get lazy, or if I don't wear the right shoes, I have pain.

So at this point, I'm looking for exercises I can do without aggravating my PF. I used to run three times a week and it was so effective! I don't think I'll ever be able to get back to doing that. I'm hoping to find some videos to replace the great ones I have (like Tae Bo, some different Jillian MIchaels ones, etc.) that don't involve impact to my feet.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • KristieJC
    Options
    Capt_Apollo - is minimus a brand? Where do you get those?

Thanks!
  • KristieJC
    Options
    figueirt - I hadn't thought about kettle bells. Thanks a lot.
  • liljen69
    liljen69 Posts: 45
    Options
    Try a foot roller. You can buy one specifically for PF or just use a tennis ball.
  • AirborneEd
    Options
    I was able to do the elliptical a few weeks after PF injury without too much discomfort. Use a tennis ball under your foot at night to massage the bottom of your foot at night as well. good luck-
    AirborneED
  • GeminiFitness1
    GeminiFitness1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You need to get a golf ball and roll it in between your foot where it is sore. Also I would use a tennis ball or softball to stretch the calfs by putting underneath calfs and holding the stretch for 30 seconds or more. These are two things you can do to help your Plantar Fasciitis Also use a foam roller as well throughout the whole leg.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I also can't do high impact though not from PF,

I swim - you said it's too cold right now - but one to keep in mind for when it warms up
    I also got a training base for my bike for my birthday last year, so now I use my road bike as a stationary excercise bike - it's in the sitting room - I've used it a lot more as I don't like cycling on the local narrow roads with high and dark hedges after dark when I get home. I was given the entry level bike base - clip the bike in and out, the nice thing is that it's not all that bulky, and when not in use I can fold the base under the sofa and put hte bike back outside.
    And during last summer, I moved the bike and base out onto the pattio, to get some extra fresh air.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I used the Strassburg Sock to help treat my PF, I slept with it on and it worked wonders for me.

Here's the website: (I just bought mine at my local running store though)

http://thesock.com/works/wearing-instructions
  • AngieCook09
    AngieCook09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    http://www.rei.com/product/870232/new-balance-minimus-1010-road-running-shoes-womens-2013-closeout?s_kwcid=TC|13029|_inurl:closeout|DSA|S|b|29274709325&gclid=CN-cz6eVs70CFQ8OOgodWn8AQQ

Looks like it is a type of New Balance.