Orthorexia Nervosa: the new eating disorder

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I disagree they have done very successful studies on rabbits, where broccoli was there main food source and they went on to live a normal life span!

Also my point isn't about food, it's about the persons mind set and mental wiring.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why would any one be embarrassed to refuse or be around anyone who refused cake? I would be more impressed at their will power. This is why peer pressure gets people to do stupid things. If refusing cake embarrasses someone I hate to see what else they might do just to avoid being embarrassed. LOL
    Its stupid and just another money maker for them to say people that are very conscience about what they put in their mouth and body is an eating disorder.

Most Dr's want their patients to be mindful of what goes in their mouth and is digested through their bodies.

My husband and I eat out within the guidelines of our eating plan, we cook most of our meals, buy the highest quality foods that we can afford and search out healthy ways of living.

If that is a disorder, I am happy to have it.

I'm with you on this one! I have the right to refuse birthday cake - and it shouldn't embarrass my kid because we've taught him that forced social eating is not a good habit. If you don't want it, politely say "no thank you" and move along.
    Perhaps it depends on their reason for refusing cake. If someone refused cake because they already had enough for lunch, that is not the same as someone refusing cake because they think the added sugars and fats and imaginary toxins are going to shorten their lifespan.

What if I don't want to eat cake because it's garbage and I'd rather not eat it. Cake's not healthy and I'd most often rather eat nothing than eat cake - even if I was hungry. Does this mean I have a disorder?

Just because someone offers me something to eat, it doesn't mean I have the social responsibility to eat it. It's this mindset that drives me nuts. Why is there such a stigma attached to refusing junk food? Why do people get so judgy if I turn down a muffin or take a club soda instead of a beer? Or take a burger with no bun and substitute my fries for a salad at the restaurant? Why do people care what I eat?

I don't have orthorexia. I eat junk food occasionally but I eat it when I want to eat it. It's not worth it to me to eat some crappy chocolate cake my colleague bought at the Loblaws this morning. If my mother-in-law makes her triple chocolate brownies or pumpkin ice cream cake, I'll generally have a piece.
    So you are saying that it doesn't apply to you, but you are going to be defensive anyway?

I wanna party with you, cowboy.

Every post is all about her. Haven't you figured that out yet?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Wow - an eating disorder where eating healthy food is bad.
    Part of the problem is the belief that there is such a thing as a healthy food.

And then people continue this mindset by placing other foods in an "unhealthy" category. As if health is a scalar quantity, and eating one type of food increases this number and eating 'bad' foods decreases it. And then they seek to become 'healthy' by avoiding all of the foods they've categorized as 'unhealthy.' As if these foods actively destroy your body.

No food is healthy in a vacuum.

It's about context.

If you eat nothing but broccoli, you will die of malnutrition. Broccoli is no better than cake. The difference is that very few people actually WANT to eat nothing but broccoli. So it's easy to blame overeating of cake and correlate it with being unhealthy, and mistakenly conclude that cake actively destroys your health.

But someone who includes reasonable amounts of both broccoli and cake in their regular intake will be just as healthy as they would if they had only included one or the other.

Nicely illustrated!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Why would any one be embarrassed to refuse or be around anyone who refused cake? I would be more impressed at their will power. This is why peer pressure gets people to do stupid things. If refusing cake embarrasses someone I hate to see what else they might do just to avoid being embarrassed. LOL
    Its stupid and just another money maker for them to say people that are very conscience about what they put in their mouth and body is an eating disorder.

Most Dr's want their patients to be mindful of what goes in their mouth and is digested through their bodies.

My husband and I eat out within the guidelines of our eating plan, we cook most of our meals, buy the highest quality foods that we can afford and search out healthy ways of living.

I'm with you on this one! I have the right to refuse birthday cake - and it shouldn't embarrass my kid because we've taught him that forced social eating is not a good habit. If you don't want it, politely say "no thank you" and move along.
    Perhaps it depends on their reason for refusing cake. If someone refused cake because they already had enough for lunch, that is not the same as someone refusing cake because they think the added sugars and fats and imaginary toxins are going to shorten their lifespan.

What if I don't want to eat cake because it's garbage and I'd rather not eat it. Cake's not healthy and I'd most often rather eat nothing than eat cake - even if I was hungry. Does this mean I have a disorder?

Just because someone offers me something to eat, it doesn't mean I have the social responsibility to eat it. It's this mindset that drives me nuts. Why is there such a stigma attached to refusing junk food? Why do people get so judgy if I turn down a muffin or take a club soda instead of a beer? Or take a burger with no bun and substitute my fries for a salad at the restaurant? Why do people care what I eat?

I don't have orthorexia. I eat junk food occasionally but I eat it when I want to eat it. It's not worth it to me to eat some crappy chocolate cake my colleague bought at the Loblaws this morning. If my mother-in-law makes her triple chocolate brownies or pumpkin ice cream cake, I'll generally have a piece.
    So you are saying that it doesn't apply to you, but you are going to be defensive anyway?

I'm saying that people should be allowed to eat how they want without being accused of having a disorder.

Is there such thing as orthorexia? Probably. But to me it would have to be *extreme* and they would have to be physically or mentally damaging themselves to get to that point.

This thread, however, is full of people saying that someone who doesn't take cheat days or occasionally allow themselves a piece of cake or bread are cases of orthorexia.

As an example in the message below:
    "These people will opt out of spending time with people they love in favor of maintaining that obsessive control. Some take it down a notch and attend the events, but bring their own food...personally, unless the person suffers from a medical disorder and cannot eat the food I prepared, I would be a bit offended."

What about vegetarians? Are vegetarians orthorexic because they refuse to eat meat? Would you get offended if a vegetarian brought a veggie burger to the barbecue? Why is it so different if someone doesn't want to eat cake or pasta salad?

You'd see a lot less of people avoiding social eating situations if others weren't so judgy about how you ate. I personally eat Paleo (not strict, but all the power to those who do) and have had to bring my own snacks at times.
    If people were supportive and instead of "Oh you're on a diet? You don't need to lose weightI Have this cake that I made or else I'll be offended" people were like "Ah that's really cool. I did notice you looked healthier. If I'd had known I'd have put out some veggies", you'd see a lot less of this 'orthorexic' behaviour.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I can't imagine why the reason would be known unless the cake server was annoyingly pushy. "No cake for me, thanks." should be enough.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

And then people continue this mindset by placing other foods in an "unhealthy" category. As if health is a scalar quantity, and eating one type of food increases this number and eating 'bad' foods decreases it. And then they seek to become 'healthy' by avoiding all of the foods they've categorized as 'unhealthy.' As if these foods actively destroy your body.

It's about context.

If you eat nothing but broccoli, you will die of malnutrition. Broccoli is no better than cake. The difference is that very few people actually WANT to eat nothing but broccoli. So it's easy to blame overeating of cake and correlate it with being unhealthy, and mistakenly conclude that cake actively destroys your health.

But someone who includes reasonable amounts of both broccoli and cake in their regular intake will be just as healthy as they would if they had only included one or the other.

re-reading this and your who point is out of context.

The diets spoken about in the article all have a balance of macro nutrients. Not sure where you have suddenly come up with this concept of only eating broccoli? Is that the only food you consider 'healthy'.

To be fair I think if you only ate cake (carrot cake in this example - keeping it healthy) and broccoli you would probably die sooner than eating a balanced diet.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I disagree they have done very successful studies on rabbits, where broccoli was there main food source and they went on to live a normal life span!

Also my point isn't about food, it's about the persons mind set and mental wiring.

Ok, I just have to stop you there, you do realize that a rabbit has an entirely different digestive system combined with completely different nutritional needs than a human right?

I didn't even look past this to see if anyone else has already said this. Comparing a human's nutritional needs to a rabbit just floored me.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would guess that -- in a vacuum: a carrot- which is food is probably healthier than a twinkie - which is food. :/
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

It's about context.

I never understood this mindset - there is nothing healthy about cake. Why are people against labeling foods as unhealthy?

Someone who eats a whole-foods based diet with no cake will be healthier than someone who eats a whole-foods based diet and regularly has cake as well.

It's not a knock on someone who eats cake. For many people the satisfaction they get out of eating cake is worth the little bit of unhealthiness involved. For others, it's not.

For me, l don't try to fool myself into thinking it's healthy because it's just a little bit. (I'll still eat some anyways but I make sure it's good cake or an important occasion so that it's worth it to me)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

I can't imagine why the reason would be known unless the cake server was annoyingly pushy. "No cake for me, thanks." should be enough.
    1- It doesn't need to be 'known' by a third party to affect someone.

2- You can usually tell by the fact that the person is also sneering at the people who do choose to eat cake, or telling them they'll get cancer.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I'm saying that people should be allowed to eat how they want without being accused of having a disorder.

Is there such thing as orthorexia? Probably. But to me it would have to be *extreme* and they would have to be physically or mentally damaging themselves to get to that point.

This thread, however, is full of people saying that someone who doesn't take cheat days or occasionally allow themselves a piece of cake or bread are cases of orthorexia.

"These people will opt out of spending time with people they love in favor of maintaining that obsessive control. Some take it down a notch and attend the events, but bring their own food...personally, unless the person suffers from a medical disorder and cannot eat the food I prepared, I would be a bit offended."

What about vegetarians? Are vegetarians orthorexic because they refuse to eat meat? Would you get offended if a vegetarian brought a veggie burger to the barbecue? Why is it so different if someone doesn't want to eat cake or pasta salad?

You'd see a lot less of people avoiding social eating situations if others weren't so judgy about how you ate. I personally eat Paleo (not strict, but all the power to those who do) and have had to bring my own snacks at times.
    If people were supportive and instead of "Oh you're on a diet? You don't need to lose weightI Have this cake that I made or else I'll be offended" people were like "Ah that's really cool. I did notice you looked healthier. If I'd had known I'd have put out some veggies", you'd see a lot less of this 'orthorexic' behaviour.

The problem with your previous post is that you say that cake is "garbage", but then go on to say that triple chocolate brownies or pumpkin ice cream cake is okay.
    If you don't like store bought cake, okay. But it's really no less "garbage" than the other foods you mentioned.

There's really no need to get bent out of shape over this. I suggest you check to see if you might be missing something in your diet that is causing you to be a bit cranky.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

It's about context.

I never understood this mindset - there is nothing healthy about cake. Why are people against labeling foods as unhealthy?

Someone who eats a whole-foods based diet with no cake will be healthier than someone who eats a whole-foods based diet and regularly has cake as well.

It's not a knock on someone who eats cake. For many people the satisfaction they get out of eating cake is worth the little bit of unhealthiness involved. For others, it's not.

For me, l don't try to fool myself into thinking it's healthy because it's just a little bit. (I'll still eat some anyways but I make sure it's good cake or an important occasion so that it's worth it to me)
    Could you please explain in what way eating a piece of cake detracts from one's health? Or for 'more vegetables than you need' to actively improve one's health. Because one of these two would necessarily have to happen in order for the above statement to be true.

This is assuming that they are both meeting all of their micro and macronutrient needs, of course. (Because, as always, context is important.)
  • DamePiglet
    Options

It's about context.

Nope. There's zero evidence to support this.
    Except that you just said that people who eat cake are not as healthy as people who don't. That IS a knock. "I'm healthier than you are because I don't eat cake and you do"... yep. Knock knock... who's there? YOU.

Except that for people who do "IIFYM", cake can easily fill a macro void that they should fill.

Just stop with all YOUR judging.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting take. I haven't thought too much about it but there could definitely be some merit to this. Thanks for posting.
  • SPeffer1
    SPeffer1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I agree with pretty much this whole post. I'm much more strict wtih my food than others, and nowhere near as strict as some. but I will NEVER feel like I have to eat something to be polite or keep from hurting someone's feelings, unless it's my grandma, and she's dead.

If I ate "just a little bit" of everything that people told me wouldn't hurt me because it's just a little bit - I'd be overweight for sure.

I don't often go out to eat because I don't enjoy it. And if my friends/family are going for ice cream or whatever - I'll go and usually won't get it. I don't sit there and look sad or eye up their food - I just go to socialize. And other than my toddler son I don't care what other people eat, so I'm certainly not judging them!

Refusing cake is not kicking a puppy...
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It's not a gimmick or made up condition.

And yet can already hear the choruses of YOU HAVE ORTHOREXIA NERVOSA when I refuse to eat what I consider garbage food.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

It's about context.

The diets spoken about in the article all have a balance of macro nutrients. Not sure where you have suddenly come up with this concept of only eating broccoli? Is that the only food you consider 'healthy'.

To be fair I think if you only ate cake (carrot cake in this example - keeping it healthy) and broccoli you would probably die sooner than eating a balanced diet.
    The problem is the popular belief that a balanced diet cannot contain cake.

If you eat 90% of your calorie need for the day and ALL of your micronutrient needs have already been met, then it makes no difference whether the last 10% of your calories come from pure sugar/fat or they come from the most vitamin-dense food on the planet.

If you eat 300 times as much vitamin A as you need, you do not become 300 times as healthy.

You do not become "even more healthy" by getting more micronutrients than you need.

This is what people mean when they are talking about context.
  • DamePiglet
    Options

If I ate "just a little bit" of everything that people told me wouldn't hurt me because it's just a little bit - I'd be overweight for sure.

Really? I'm sorry for you, honestly.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It's about context.

The problem is the popular belief that a balanced diet cannot contain cake.

If you eat 90% of your calorie need for the day and ALL of your micronutrient needs have already been met, then it makes no difference whether the last 10% of your calories come from pure sugar/fat or they come from the most vitamin-dense food on the planet.

If you eat 300 times as much vitamin A as you need, you do not become 300 times as healthy.

You do not become "even more healthy" by getting more micronutrients than you need.

This is what people mean when they are talking about context.

I agree a balanced diet can indeed contain cake.

A balanced diet can also not contain cake.

Why are you so hung up on eating cake!!!

I like cake, I eat cake (the last piece was 2 days ago - homemade lemon drizzle cake) it was very nice - in fact I ate 2 pieces.

But what does that have to do with people who do not want to eat cake and choose to get their balance of macro nutrients from other sources.

Surely the issue here isn't what people eat, but their cognitive disposition. Some people are just a bit obsessive about everything they do.

I'm sure there are people who choose to eat a 'healthy' diet (sorry can't think of a better term at the moment) that will have a piece of cake if the mood takes them. The article seems to be focusing on the obsessive individuals.

To be honest the food thing is just a vehicle for their obsession.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

I agree with pretty much this whole post. I'm much more strict wtih my food than others, and nowhere near as strict as some. but I will NEVER feel like I have to eat something to be polite or keep from hurting someone's feelings, unless it's my grandma, and she's dead.

I don't often go out to eat because I don't enjoy it. And if my friends/family are going for ice cream or whatever - I'll go and usually won't get it. I don't sit there and look sad or eye up their food - I just go to socialize. And other than my toddler son I don't care what other people eat, so I'm certainly not judging them!

Refusing cake is not kicking a puppy...
    I worked in plenty of offices where they regularly had cake and pizza etc, and 90% of the time I didn't eat any (because they'd get things like cake with raisins in it, or cheesecake, green peppers on pizza, or whatever gross things people can do to ruin a good thing) and yet in all of the times people offered me cake and I said, "nope I'm good, thanks," not a single person ever took this further or tried to convince me or pressure me or whatever all the ridiculous scenarios people are talking about here.

I even refused to sign any of the birthday cards they sent around and only one person even asked me about that. (Because it feels insincere and if I knew the person well enough to care about their birthday I'd know when it is and get them a card myself.)

So I have to wonder whether all of these scenarios are just projection, exaggerations, lies, or if I'm blissfully unaware of the Orwellian nightmare we live in.