What home gym should I get?

Options
My birthday is coming up in a couple weeks and I've asked for a home gym for my birthday. I already have an elliptical and a rowing machine but I really enjoy lifting more than cardio. I've been looking on eBay and there are some great deals to be found there. Thing is, this is my first go around with a home gym. I would LOVE some suggestions, success stories and even horror stories in order to make an informed decision on this. Thanks in advance and have a great day!!

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Power Cage, Bench and Barbells!

Once I get a place that has a garage or extra room I'll be buying my own power cage and barbell set.
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Here are some staples I tell my clients to get:

Low on space & Beginner:

1) An adjustable bench
    2) Adjustable dumbbells, ideally with weights ranging from 10-50+ pounds
    3) Mini-bands
    4) 1 thick long band, 1 thin long band (like these: http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product2_10151_10751_1003889_-1_2011009_2011009_2011009_ProductDisplayErrorView)

That can take you pretty far!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells, barbells and bar are the most versatile
  • davidhooie
    davidhooie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with what KatissimusDor suggested! You can't go wrong with a good set of dumbbells and an adjustable bench. The main thing I would recommend is not the equipment but a good workout plan that challenges you and keeps you motivated to keep at it. Sounds like you'll have the start of a great home gym and you won't have to stand around waiting for some lunkhead to get off the equipment you want/need next!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

Once I get a place that has a garage or extra room I'll be buying my own power cage and barbell set.

i second this. you can do any weight lifting exercise with thie equipement except for cable stuff.

If you buy a rig on Roguefitness.com then everything in your order ships free, which will save a lot if your buying plates.

You could also go the craigslist route, nothing wrong with that at all.

even if you have someone to spot you, your going to want the power rack to do squats... or at least something that will safely allow you get the heavy weight at shoulder level.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Great replies! Thank you all so much! I'm also planning to set my laptop up in there so I can get on YouTube and learn about proper form so I know I'm doing it correctly. I hear so much about how important good form is. Katissimus, I will check out that link. I really appreciate it. Although, I know I sound naive here, I have no idea what to do with bands! Hopefully the link will explain.

Thanks so much, everyone!
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bought this machine. It takes a fair amount of space and time to put together. I posted review there to titled great purchase

http://www.sears.com/personal-trainer-cage-system/p-00688360000P
  • KatissimusDorsi
    Options
    Great replies! Thank you all so much! I'm also planning to set my laptop up in there so I can get on YouTube and learn about proper form so I know I'm doing it correctly. I hear so much about how important good form is. Katissimus, I will check out that link. I really appreciate it. Although, I know I sound naive here, I have no idea what to do with bands! Hopefully the link will explain.

Oh there's tons to do with bands - I typically use them for warm-ups or just accessory work for my glutes or back muscles. My favorite exercises to give clients with bands are:

Mini-Bands

Glute Bridges (w/ band around above the knee)
    Seated Leg Abduction
    Lateral Band Walks
    Clamshells

Long Bands

Band Pull-Aparts
    X-band Walks
    Should Dislocations (It's a stretch with an AWFUL name, but it feels wonderful)
    Donkey kicks (adds some resistance)
    Palloff Presses
    Rows / Lat pulldowns (if you have a good place to attach them)

I think you could Youtube all of those, though you certainly dont' have to do them. I usually suggest bands because they're cheap and super portable for exercising on-the-go!
  • Lize11e
    Options
    @ MDChessler Dude! That thing rocks!
  • Lize11e
    Options

Oh there's tons to do with bands - I typically use them for warm-ups or just accessory work for my glutes or back muscles. My favorite exercises to give clients with bands are:

Mini-Bands

Glute Bridges (w/ band around above the knee)
    Seated Leg Abduction
    Lateral Band Walks
    Clamshells

Long Bands

Band Pull-Aparts
    X-band Walks
    Should Dislocations (It's a stretch with an AWFUL name, but it feels wonderful)
    Donkey kicks (adds some resistance)
    Palloff Presses
    Rows / Lat pulldowns (if you have a good place to attach them)

I think you could Youtube all of those, though you certainly dont' have to do them. I usually suggest bands because they're cheap and super portable for exercising on-the-go!

I am totally putting this in a word doc for future use! Thanks so much!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

also get a mirror or means of recording yourself to improve form
  • MDChesler
    MDChesler Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @ MDChessler Dude! That thing rocks!

I love it! I work my tail off with it daily!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

i second this. you can do any weight lifting exercise with thie equipement except for cable stuff.

If you buy a rig on Roguefitness.com then everything in your order ships free, which will save a lot if your buying plates.

even if you have someone to spot you, your going to want the power rack to do squats... or at least something that will safely allow you get the heavy weight at shoulder level.

Yes this definately...note tho with the barbell pick one you are going to stick with..standard or olympic...I have standard and about 300lbs worth of weights so I wont be buying any olympic bars ...

As well if a power cage is too expensive at this point there are lots of online templates for "home built" racks...my husband built mine it's saved my *kitten* a lot.
  • Lize11e
    Options

also get a mirror or means of recording yourself to improve form

I love this idea! I have several mirrors I could place around the room to help once I get it set up. Thank you!
  • Lize11e
    Options

Yes this definately...note tho with the barbell pick one you are going to stick with..standard or olympic...I have standard and about 300lbs worth of weights so I wont be buying any olympic bars ...

As well if a power cage is too expensive at this point there are lots of online templates for "home built" racks...my husband built mine it's saved my *kitten* a lot.

Oh, good thinking! I also appreciate the suggestion to pick either olympic or standard. I wouldn't have thought of that.