Diet Soda.... to ditch the Diet Coke.... or not

Options
I need to lose 30 pounds... and Diet Coke is my daily vice. I have 1 can a day, when I need an afternoon pick me up, rather than reaching for a snack. So my question is.... is it more.beneficial to ditch the soda and chance the snacking?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drink one every night sometimes two...hasn't hurt me at all in my weight loss.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I drink diet Pepsi, several times a day. No issues.
  • The_Sandra
    The_Sandra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I say to each their own. Some people incorporate diet drinks into their day without harm, and if it takes the place of calories that would otherwise be consumed, all the better. Personally, the diet stuff doesn't do it for me taste-wise, and will sometimes trigger migraines, so I steer clear. Once every couple of months the hubs and I will split a real Coke and that works fine for me.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Diet Coke head, then I got desperate and gave it up to see if it was stalling my metabolism. Nothing changed after I gave it up. I still only drink it on occasion so its a treat and so its easier on the grocery budget. But from my personal experience 1-2 cans of Diet Coke a day were not detrimental to my weight loss.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You'll have lost of people who will tell you diet coke and aspartame will cause a nuclear winter and force the world into hunger. In reality it's what works for you. I have a pepsi Max most days and it hasn't effected me. It's just a drink i like along with coffee and tea. Do what works for you if you like diet coke drink it
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I say absolutely not. I also drink a Diet Coke every day. I don't think diet soda contributes to weight gain. I know there have been a couple of studies lately that says it might, slightly, but if you're consciously trying to track your calories and lose weight, I think a calorie free treat can only help.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, 0 calorie soda is better than snacking if it's pushing you over your calorie goal.
    As far as health goes, a handful of nuts is better for you than a bunch of chemicals in my opinion.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I found things worked better for me when I ditched diet sodas, but I wasn't replacing them with anything but water. If it's helping you avoid a snack/calories, then meh. Keep it. I just feel and do better without artificial sugars, personally. This is totally a YMMV scenario.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The only thing that might happen is you gain some water weight if you drink too many. Fake sugar supposedly dehydrates you.

But who knows ...

If you want to ditch it, ditch it.

I have maybe 5 a month.
  • fmhidalgo
    fmhidalgo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard differing opinions on this. However, one can will definitely not hurt your progress.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I drink one every night sometimes two...hasn't hurt me at all in my weight loss.

This^

1 or 2 diet sodas a day is fine. I look forward to my diet root beer.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, the flavored ones are my favorite (diet cherry, vanilla, lime). I drink 1-2 cans a day. It's zero calories and no more sodium than a slice of cheese *shrugs* If you like it, why give it up? Course, I feel that way about everything.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have a diet soda whenever I am in the mood for one, usually a couple times a week. To lose weight you do not have to eliminate anything other than consuming too many calories.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I just shared on another thread called 'Anxiety' in the Motivation section about caffeine and the affects it had on me when I finally gave it up.

Basically, I drank DC. It was my 'go to' drink. Had to have at least one a day. For various reasons, in January 2012, I decided I was going to quit all caffeine products (except chocolate which has small traces). Yes, I had minor headaches for about a week and a half. But that got better. I increased my water consumption slowly up to at least 64 oz per day. I now only drink water with the occasional going out alcohol and once in a blue moon a cup of my son's fruit juice. During the first month and a half, I lost 20 pounds!!! It also helped to reduce my blood pressure and I was able to sleep better at night.

So, this is what happened to me. Therefore, I do advocate giving up caffeine. But, everyone's body is different, do what's right for you. :flowerforyou:
  • kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    In my opinion, eliminating calorie-free items shouldn't be the first step, I'd look first at your calorie intake, and when you're closer to your weight loss goal and have the calories under control, maybe then look at removing calorie-free things that you're wanting to eliminate.
  • Courtshorr
    Courtshorr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I LOVE my diet coke.... so it may be hard. I may try just to see what my body does...
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I've seen some talk about it being detrimental because of the artificial sweeteners as well as phosphoric acid, but it looked far from conclusive to me. I think it probably won't make a difference for the vast majority of people, especially if you're just talking about 1 or 2 a day.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Keep it if you enjoy it. As everyone else here seems to point out, it's not going to prevent you from losing weight.

Also, if you're concerned about the aspartame, don't be. I have heard so much **** about it being horrible for you, but when asked the people spewing just say they heard it, there's no real validity to their concerns, as far as research shows... and they've been doing study after study for years. After reading a number of them, I've realized, people like to jump the band wagon without looking into it. In short, I would have to drink something like 36 (355ml) cans of diet soda a day for 7 straight years for enough of it to build up in my system to see any kind of effect (that was based on my weight at the time, obv people will need more/less) but in the end, you'd have to consume a HUGE amount over a long period of time for it to effect you.
  • trevnem
    trevnem Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Just google Diet soda dangers, heres one http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/diet-soda-bad-you

theres several studies to back up that soda in any form is horrible for you inside and out! Find something else :) and often I've heard that when youre feeling tired in the middle of the day that may be a sign of dehydration, I suggest a healthy snack...I snack all the time, stay within my calories and lose weight...Good Luck!
  • methridg
    methridg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I LOVE my diet coke.... so it may be hard. I may try just to see what my body does...

I completely understand where you are coming from as I have had a serious Diet Coke addiction for years. Its hard to say one way or another which side is correct or incorrect so I went back and forth on it for a very long time (while still indulging of course). What I realized, however, was I limited the amount of water I was drinking because I always wanted soda. So I decided I was going try and stop and drink water instead. I have been diet soda-free for 4 months now!

My favorite thing to drink now is flavored seltzer water. It gives me that fizz I like and a good flavor, more water and NO artificial anything!

Just my two cents.