Transition clothes?

Options
2»

Replies

• klyn7788
    klyn7788 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    There's certainly value in buying things that you can wear for a few sizes or that are used, but finding a few things that make you look good now can be so motivating and great for your self-confidence. I think it would be so worth it to buy something new that you love at a discount store to celebrate your achievement so far!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    While I was loosing my weight, I didn't hardly buy anything new cause it was too big in like 2 weeks! I went to my local Salvation Army store on Saturdays and they have a certain tag color that was 49 cents a pc. It is now 69 cents but still a bargain. I had never ever shopped at a Salvation Army or Goodwill store before this ever. I never tried anything on, went home washed it in hot water and high heat in dryer and then tried it on, if it was too big I would just re donate it and if too small hung onto it till I fit into it. I took all my too big clothes to consignment stores in town and made about $800 on them. What the consignment stores didn't take I either gave to friends or donated to my local womens domestic violence shelter.

It is hard for me to buy new now too even though I am done loosing weight! I have too many clothes right now but still go to the Salvation Army store every once in a while on Sat. for those 69 cent bargains. I have found brand new clothes with price tags on them, never worn item, coats.... I did buy some clothes at the consignment stores too I got a leather jacket for $5 and Columbia jacket for $5 and then shop the $1 rack at the consignment stores.
    Good luck!
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Don't miss out on the Kohls discount racks too, I know their prices are overly inflated to start but they slash some stuff as much as 80% when they are discontinuing them and have a fair selection. I bought a lot of clothing at wholesale clubs figuring they would last a year, ended up lasting 5 months due to size changing more rapidly than I expected and spent more than I intended on transition clothing. Finally getting close to my target so I probably won't need anymore things as I did amass a fair amount on sales and such. Although I will admit it may be easier for a male to find such things as for me if it mostly fits and doesn't look horrible I am generally okay with it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    For a long time I relied on secondhand stores.

But now that I am getting into smaller sizes (for me, that is...14, so sizes 13-16 and L-XL) I am actually finding it MUCH harder to find good quality, affordable items in thrift stores and at consignment shops and so on. I don't know if it's just in my area or what...but they seem to have tons of excellent plus size stuff and then some good small/juniors...very little misses and larger "regular" sizes.

So what I am doing right now is learning to deal with a drastically smaller wardrobe. For years at size 22, I had about 60 days of different outfits for each season. Now I recycle items weekly and will wear the same outfit 2-3 times in a month. For me that is a lot. Right now I own 3 pairs of regular jeans, 2 pairs of colored skinnies, and 2 pairs of black pants. That's about 1/8 of my past jean-and-pant wardrobe. But it's working for me.

My go-to places right now are Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, and clearance racks at Macy's and JC Penney.
  • superkt
    superkt Posts: 12
    Options
    do you have a DOTS near you? they have super low prices and usually have a variety of sizes including plus size.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    eBay has been my friend. What I like is many of the sellers give detailed measurements. So I've found some labels that tend to fit me better. That makes searching easier. If you keep watching, you can pick up good quality stuff really cheap, even counting the shipping. Some times I'll see nothing remotely interesting, then the next time I check I'll find several to follow.

It's a nice problem to have, but still frustrating.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Look at the website for Woman Within. Cheap plus size stuff.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've already replaced most of my work wardrobe and a few wear around the house pieces. It's still cold here in MN but we are getting ready for a beach vacation, so I had to go find a few summer clothes too, which I know probably won't fit come summer. Shoot, the dress pants I bought in January are now too big.

Besides secondhand shops, try to find someone who can see. I'm having a few expensive items altered so I don't have to rebuy them anytime too soon. I've signed up for the mailing lists at all my favorite stores. It's added a lot to my email but they send me coupons and such all the time which helps.

JCPenney has a nice women's section for work clothes. I've found some great clearance deals there, long sleeve button down shirts for $4, dress pants for $10. They've become my go to store of late.