Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    In for link later....
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You can subscribe to see pre-published articles here - http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/pages/default.aspx.
    :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the paper. Thanks OP
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Food for thought. All of the people who came before you and up until this point even for yourself (those of you that have had results). You got the results you have or had before this study was done. Is it really going to make that much of a difference ? I wonder how convicts in the pens across the nation are able to achieve such fantastic physiques without the supplements and clean diets and sports nutrition studies ? Studies are great, there have been many great studies. However trying to narrow down for all humans without taking into account allergies, metabolic rate, genetics etc.. Makes these studies fouled from the begining. I have studied people with the best physiques. The consesus seems to me to be eat, train (your *kitten* off) sleep repeat. Unless you are trying to be the next Mr.Olympia I don't think the little stuff matters for us. If it does then, right on skeeter. I'l keep doing what I am doing and hopefully one day I will die with a smile on my face.
  • byrdgirl99
    byrdgirl99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am totally confused how much protein I should have per day based on my weight. and how I'm supposed to take it through out the day? Can anyone help me figure that out? I would like to go back to the gym and gain weight that's my goal.

BACKGROUND: New to MFP. today is my first day. :bigsmile: my goal to gain 130 to 140 pounds. I'm trying to figure out how to gain my weight back to 140lb. MFP indicates 2000c/day. I didn't get enough protein though I have over 2800c today. I'm 52 and not sure why i can't keep it on yet. I gain 2lb and lose 2lb/ day - even though I've increased calories. quit gym (3/wk) to save calories. I'm considering protein whey (One World Whey) to supplement my protein and reduce toxins. Still researching the benefits of protein whey.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Byrdgirl
  • smand2000
    smand2000 Posts: 88
    Options
    In for results ...
  • byrdgirl99
    byrdgirl99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am totally confused how much protein I should have per day based on my weight. and how I'm supposed to take it through out the day? Can anyone help me figure that out? I would like to go back to the gym and gain weight that's my goal.

BACKGROUND: New to MFP. today is my first day. :bigsmile: my goal to gain 130 to 140 pounds. I'm trying to figure out how to gain my weight back to 140lb. MFP indicates 2000c/day. I didn't get enough protein though I have over 2800c today. I'm 52 and not sure why i can't keep it on yet. I gain 2lb and lose 2lb/ day - even though I've increased calories. quit gym (3/wk) to save calories. I'm considering protein whey (One World Whey) to supplement my protein and reduce toxins. Still researching the benefits of protein whey.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Byrdgirl

any help here? thx
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Food for thought. All of the people who came before you and up until this point even for yourself (those of you that have had results). You got the results you have or had before this study was done. Is it really going to make that much of a difference ? I wonder how convicts in the pens across the nation are able to achieve such fantastic physiques without the supplements and clean diets and sports nutrition studies ? Studies are great, there have been many great studies. However trying to narrow down for all humans without taking into account allergies, metabolic rate, genetics etc.. Makes these studies fouled from the begining. I have studied people with the best physiques. The consesus seems to me to be eat, train (your *kitten* off) sleep repeat. Unless you are trying to be the next Mr.Olympia I don't think the little stuff matters for us. If it does then, right on skeeter. I'l keep doing what I am doing and hopefully one day I will die with a smile on my face.

True, and I don't think anyone here is really looking for earth-shattering news (at least, I'm not).

There are many things in the world where we can say we had success before any scientific study, and many times those studies simply verify what is already practiced. But sometimes it enhances our understanding. Sometimes, it gives us valuable new insight. Cultures had been making vessels that successfully floated on water long before Archimedes figured out how buoyancy worked in 212 BCE. And, while he was FAR from revolutionizing the world of shipbuilding at the time, that additional understanding from the laboratory setting is part of what lets us reliably design the massive ships that are part of our lives, today.

Perhaps this paper will bring valuable insight into how the body works. Perhaps it will simply validate existing practices. Until the paper is available to read, it will be hard to weigh its significance.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

All of what you said is true, but.... I like knowledge. This "could be" new knowledge that I didn't know prior.
  • amazin71
    amazin71 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was barely consuming any protein at all and am starting to notice a difference not that I have started taking the whey protein powder but how do you know how much you personally should have???
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    ^^^I personally like the tactic of aiming for one gram of protein per pound of my goal weight.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (though can't remember where off the top of my head now), to aim for 0.7 g per pound of body weight to minimize lean body mass (i.e. muscle) loss while in a deficit (i.e. losing weight) -- this meant that it maximized the fat-to-muscle ratio when losing weight as you inevitably lose both fat and muscle.

But, eating that much protein minimizes the muscle loss and for some subjects, it actually allowed them to maintain the muscle if they were heavy lifting as well. This also means that the scale goes down slower as it takes 3500 calories for a pound of fat and only about 600 calories for a pound of muscle. People that drop a lot of weight quickly are usually losing a considerable amount of muscle.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    *nudge*
  • AnnetteCorrado983
    Options
    Protein should be from lean meats or fish or other sources of protein. I was advised that if I am doing exercise (one hour or more) for that day to drink a shake to get to 80 grams per day of a protein at 150lbs. Usually one shake post workout 30 grams low sugar and carbs. I have to watch because I can gain weight on whey.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/01/it-does-matter-how-you-spread-your.html

Suppversity article: It Does Matter How You Spread Your Protein Intake - 30% Higher 24h Protein Synthesis with 30g+ Protein per Meal

"In view of the fact that I gather that you'd expected a result like this, I don't feel inclined to repeat that I have been suggesting for years to consume 30g+ of quality protein ("quality" = 10g+ of EAAs per 30g serving) with every meal.

If you stick to this simple principle, it's going to help you build muscle and lose fat (see "Fat Loss Principles That Work: 10g+ of EAA W/ Every Meal" | read more). "

Protein Power - Study Suggests: 40%+ is Where True Magic Happens. Plus: If Protein is King, Whey is the Emperor

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/02/protein-power-study-suggests-40-is.html

"Bottom line: The beneficial metabolic effects the addition of 40% whey protein isolate to a highly obesogenic baseline diet produced in the study at hand are remarkable and highly specific. "Specific", in that they don't occur with "an increase in protein intake".

In other words, the anti-obesogenic, anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects occurred not in response to "any type and amount of additional protein" that was added on top of what can be considered a model of a high fat version of the Western Diet. The previously discussed benefits were observed only, when this protein was whey protein and comprised a whopping 40% of the total energy intake of the rodents. The casein-based diets, as well as diets with lower amounts of whey protein isolate were ineffective, or - as you can see in Figure 3 - they "clustered together and away from the 40% WPI group", whose body weight - and this unquestionably quite remarkable - was hardly different from that of those 10 mice who were fed a regular, low fat diet for the whole 21-week study period."

tl:dr - For optimal fat loss combined with muscle building - have at least 30g of protein every time you eat, and 40% of your daily protein come from whey.

For daily consumption, I have at least my bodyweight in grams. Usually more, though. To tell when you've had enough protein, your body lets you know by gas.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If I ate the way you described, op, I would need to eat 9-10 meals a day. Not happening.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If I ate the way you described, op, I would need to eat 9-10 meals a day. Not happening.

OP is describing an attempt to identify optimal, which is not necessarily realistic.

Anyway, it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum.
  • meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert on any of this, but from researching bits and pieces here and there, this time around i focused on upping my protein intake, and WOW!
    I was very out of shape and it's been a month since I started and my body feels full and stronger than ever.
    2 years ago when I wanted to get into a workout routine, my body ached so bad I would have to start with 2-3 workouts a week. This time around I was heavier than before, and i would try to have a significant amount of protein daily and throw in a lil extra before and after my workouts (peanut butter, almond butter, almonds, yogurt, cottage cheese, pumpkin seeds,) and i have felt great and have already seen a difference in my legs and arms, i've only lost a few.inches but they are no longer jelly-like, rather more defined.

I'm having 3 meals a day with some protein and my snacks should have some protein in it too.
    Depending on my workouts MFP always gives tell me to.consume about 60-99grams of protein.
    Pinterest has lots of ideas for protein packed foods.
  • AnnetteCorrado983
    Options
    Much respect for researchers; will be watching for the published paper and the #of subjects.:heart: