HELP :( healthy+runner = fat!?

Options
2»

Replies

• fittams
    fittams Posts: 16
    Options
    if you're not logging the dinner food it might seem like a small portion but still be VERY calorie dense. My friend made a dinner of curry coconut chicken and ended up not liking it so she brought it to me. I found out from her what all went into it and plugged it into the recipe thing here. cutting the small amount she brought me (in a partially filled medium sized tupperware container) into thirds still left me with each portion being approximately 450 calories and an enormous amount of fat. It was about 5 bites. It was delicious....but really not worth it.

Eek!!! I get your drift. Gonna start prepping my own meals from now on I think...

Weight training + my own (not-parents-curry) cooking should hopefully do the trick.
  • lucyannp
    lucyannp Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey there, thought I'd reply as I'm also 5'2 and used to weigh 10 and a half stone. It took me 2 years to get the weight off but don't lose hope, it's so much easier to get rid of if you've only just put it on! If you are anything like me you MUST do weight training. Keep your cardio to 20 mins only, it's not effective for fat burning after that. It's your muscles that use the most energy, the more you have the higher the base number of calories your body needs just to survive. Try 30 day shred, I'm doing it right now and it's fab. Take up something like a kettle bells class and you'll see some significant improvements. Remember a calorie is still a calorie even if it's green (!) so weight out your food for a week and record accurately, that way you can adjust your portion sizes and carry on. Be honest and record every morsel that goes into your mouth because it's only you you're cheating if you don't. If you're still struggling combine mfp with a food combining programme like slimming world. Weight loss does not cone from hours of cardio I promise! Good luck! P.s. I'm now 8 stone 9
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily about diet. Exercise helps, yes, but it's remarkably easy to eat back everything you've burned off running, especially if you are sedentary the rest of the day. It doesn't matter how healthy your calories are. If there is too much for you, you'll gain. I would start by buying a food scale and tracking carefully, as it sounds like you really aren't sure exactly how much you are eating. It may even be a good idea to not try and control portions for the first week - just weigh everything you normally eat as you fix it so you have an idea of where your true starting point is. Once you have an idea of what you have been eating and what it has been doing to your weight, you'll get a better idea of what changes to make.

For weights, if you're worried about form, is it possible for you to hire a trainer for a few sessions? They can teach you the basics so you don't hurt yourself and then you can continue on your own.
  • fittams
    Options
    Hey there, thought I'd reply as I'm also 5'2 and used to weigh 10 and a half stone. It took me 2 years to get the weight off but don't lose hope, it's so much easier to get rid of if you've only just put it on! If you are anything like me you MUST do weight training. Keep your cardio to 20 mins only, it's not effective for fat burning after that. It's your muscles that use the most energy, the more you have the higher the base number of calories your body needs just to survive. Try 30 day shred, I'm doing it right now and it's fab. Take up something like a kettle bells class and you'll see some significant improvements. Remember a calorie is still a calorie even if it's green (!) so weight out your food for a week and record accurately, that way you can adjust your portion sizes and carry on. Be honest and record every morsel that goes into your mouth because it's only you you're cheating if you don't. If you're still struggling combine mfp with a food combining programme like slimming world. Weight loss does not cone from hours of cardio I promise! Good luck! P.s. I'm now 8 stone 9

Firstly, that's really awesome - well done on 8st 9 :D thanks for all your info too

Not gonna lie - I was sad about the two years bit - is that with your doing a rigid and strict diet/workout too?

I think the take home message from everyone is really "DO WEIGHTS!!!"
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    HASfit.com has a great 15 minute beginners weight training online. It's free! I use it 2 to 3 days a week and have found a great difference in "inches" lost. I walk, bike ride and swim too on the days I don't weight train. HASfit.com does have a lot of other type training sessions too. I use 8 lb. dump bells. I've lost 77lbs. so far and have about a 100+ to still go! I'm not giving up and don't you! That is key, not giving up! You'll find what works best for you!
  • fittams
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily about diet. Exercise helps, yes, but it's remarkably easy to eat back everything you've burned off running, especially if you are sedentary the rest of the day. It doesn't matter how healthy your calories are. If there is too much for you, you'll gain. I would start by buying a food scale and tracking carefully, as it sounds like you really aren't sure exactly how much you are eating. It may even be a good idea to not try and control portions for the first week - just weigh everything you normally eat as you fix it so you have an idea of where your true starting point is. Once you have an idea of what you have been eating and what it has been doing to your weight, you'll get a better idea of what changes to make.

For weights, if you're worried about form, is it possible for you to hire a trainer for a few sessions? They can teach you the basics so you don't hurt yourself and then you can continue on your own.

I am looking into that - I might make my boyfriend show me how as he does a lot of weights (and unlike me with my running, his hard work shows pretty well so I know he's doing it right). Failing that I'll definitely get a PT.

I do wonder though how it's so technical to lose weight, whereas, some people are just skinny minnies doing occasional running and really not even eating healthily :( *green eyed monster*
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ^This.

You're seriously underestimating your food. Start logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Use the recipe builder.

Logging works.
  • fittams
    Options
    Thanks again all! Going to start using the recipe builder (didn't know it existed so I've been searching and adding) and logging everything.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    If you use the machines at the gym, instead of free weights, it's pretty easy to keep in form. I've started lifting a few weeks ago and I was really nervous about it, too, but so far it's going really well.

As others have basically said, you can't outrun overeating. Portion control and being really honest with your logging is key. It sounds like you have a better handle on it. There's nothing wrong with running more than 20 minutes at a time, if you enjoy it. I'd suggest running every other day and adding the strength training on the days between runs. Good luck!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will second what others have said re logging your calories and portion control. But I will also add that you might want to look at increasing your running as well. Cardio really needs to be be done for more than 30minutes to have any effect on fat burning, but done consistently and enough will definately make you lose fat as long as you don't overeat. How many fat marathon runners do you see? And do lift weights to maintain muscle mass and tone as well.

When I first started running I also fell into the mindset that because I was running 3km a few times a week I could suddenly eat whatever I wanted. Definately.....no.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am looking into that - I might make my boyfriend show me how as he does a lot of weights (and unlike me with my running, his hard work shows pretty well so I know he's doing it right). Failing that I'll definitely get a PT.

I do wonder though how it's so technical to lose weight, whereas, some people are just skinny minnies doing occasional running and really not even eating healthily :( *green eyed monster*

There has been research into that - the whole idea of "naturally thin". It has been a long time since I have read any of the studies, but IIRC the takeaway is that some people have better satiety signals, so they are less likely to overeat. People who are "naturally thin" also seemed to have habits that made their daily calorie burn higher - fidgeting, getting up to get stuff more often, etc. All little things that go unnoticed but add up over time to a fairly significant calorie burn.
  • fittams
    Options
    So I've got a personal trainer and she's making me use MFP to count my calories but here's the thing. SHE WANTS ME TO INCREASE MY CALORIES TO 1950?!?!?!!

She says it'll help me to lose weight. I've googled stuff and there's a lot of research to show that eating the right kinds of calories whilst exercising will help you to lose weight... Also eating the right kinds and not enough ie. what I've been trying to do - eat a healthy 1400 cals a day will cause you to plateau.

Has anyone else tried this? Or has anyone else seen weight loss effects by increasing their calorie intake?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Eat 1,950 calories for a few weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • s_dash
    s_dash Posts: 6
    Options
    Listen to your personal trainer!!!

Number 1) Your personal trainer knows more than the internet, at least on this topic. This is what personal trainers do everyday, they've taken classes on the subject, they read about it constantly, and they *know* their stuff because, well, it's their job.

Number 2) Why are you wasting time and money on a personal trainer if you're just going to turn around and look to the internet for someone to confirm the answer you really want, to tell you to keep doing the same thing you've been doing that hasn't worked at all? Refer back to 1.

Number 3) When you eat too few calories in the day, you send your body into starvation mode. This causes several things: low energy is a big one, and will effect you throughout the rest of the day, but it also tells your body to start storing fats and to stop burning efficiently, and most importantly, it keeps your body from building muscle -- it doesn't have the energy and calories to do it -- and even worse, it starts breaking down your muscle in favor of fat because muscle is the more calorically expensive to maintain!!!

We talk about wanting to lose weight, but that's not actually what we want to do. What we want to do is to slim down and tone up, and the only way to do that is to turn fat into muscle. And the only way to *that* is to break down fat with cardio, build muscle with strength training (weights and resistance), and make sure you are eating enough calories in the day! It seems counter-intuitive, I know, but listen to your trainer.
  • fittams
    Options

Number 1) Your personal trainer knows more than the internet, at least on this topic. This is what personal trainers do everyday, they've taken classes on the subject, they read about it constantly, and they *know* their stuff because, well, it's their job.

Number 2) Why are you wasting time and money on a personal trainer if you're just going to turn around and look to the internet for someone to confirm the answer you really want, to tell you to keep doing the same thing you've been doing that hasn't worked at all? Refer back to 1.

Number 3) When you eat too few calories in the day, you send your body into starvation mode. This causes several things: low energy is a big one, and will effect you throughout the rest of the day, but it also tells your body to start storing fats and to stop burning efficiently, and most importantly, it keeps your body from building muscle -- it doesn't have the energy and calories to do it -- and even worse, it starts breaking down your muscle in favor of fat because muscle is the more calorically expensive to maintain!!!

We talk about wanting to lose weight, but that's not actually what we want to do. What we want to do is to slim down and tone up, and the only way to do that is to turn fat into muscle. And the only way to *that* is to break down fat with cardio, build muscle with strength training (weights and resistance), and make sure you are eating enough calories in the day! It seems counter-intuitive, I know, but listen to your trainer.

Thank you for your reply - you did make a lot of sense.

I think it's a mixture of a) it's been drummed into me that eating less = less cals = slim and b) slightly paranoid that she wants me to be fatter so I will pay for more sessions.

I know I'm being crazy, it feels so wrong to up my calories but I will do it. EEK!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'd say start with your logging. It's easy to under estimate the calories you take in (equally easy to estimate the calorie burn on cardio too). I, myself, do a whole bunch of cardio (min 30 mins rowing, HIIT or biking 6 days/week) and I lost around 14lbs of fat. So cardio will bring it off for you, you just have to vary the program.

Second however is you need to incorporate some resistance training for two reasons, one it's good for you and two it will keep your muscles toned and dense.
  • lucyannp
    lucyannp Posts: 15
    Options
    Just give it a go :) 1950 is still under a woman's RDA and if you're doing a lot of calorie burning you'll need it! You'll probably find that once logged in mfp it will tell you to eat back that many anyway. In no way take to heart my 2 years, at 13 years old I was 12 stone, at 18 about 11 stone and at 21 about the 10 and a half stone I was when really starting to learn about nutrition and exercise. It can be really difficult to lose long held weight, but that doesn't apply to you :). What it has done is give me time to understand what does and doesn't work for me, so hopefully I can help other people can get there quicker! And to allay your fears, no I wasn't able to stick to it continuously - I did half stone chunks. We're all built differently, even at 8 stone 8 now (yay!) I have a full on Buddha belly (I carry all my weight below the belly button) and pretty hefty thighs. Set yourself a weight goal but don't lose sight of your goal to look great- it might happen before your 2 stone! Sadly for me I'm going to have to keep going for a little while, but it will be worth it in the end.
  • s_dash
    s_dash Posts: 6
    Options

Thank you for your reply - you did make a lot of sense.

I think it's a mixture of a) it's been drummed into me that eating less = less cals = slim and b) slightly paranoid that she wants me to be fatter so I will pay for more sessions.

I know I'm being crazy, it feels so wrong to up my calories but I will do it. EEK!

I'm glad to hear it was helpful and that you'll be listening to your trainer. :)

Judging by most of the forum posts on here, I think a lot of people make that association of eat less to lose more. There's just a lot of bad information about how to get fit out there. It's best to listen to the experts, though it is good to get a second opinion sometimes.

Also, I totally understand your paranoia. But your personal trainer knows that if she tells you to do something and it isn't working, you're not likely to continue coming back for more sessions. Even worse, you're less likely to recommend her to friends. That's where the real continuation of business comes from for trainers, friend recommendations. There are always more people in the world looking to lose weight and they have a higher likelihood of going to a trainer suggested to them by word of mouth.

Good luck!