Constipation- TMI

Options

Replies

• yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Try adding a magnesium supplement and a hot bath with Epsom or Dead Sea salts.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just to add...

I have tried most of the advice given here. Most of them relieved the immediate problem. They just didn't resolve it long term and that I what I was striving for. So I took a look at my diet to see if there was something that was causing my problem.

I had concentrated so much on upping my protein...eliminating sodium due to BP...upping my fiber and potassium...that I had ignored my fat intake. When I first started losing weight I tried to reduce the calories in the way that I cooked and one of the easiest ways to do that is by reducing the fat that I used in my recipes. What I didn't think about was that I needed some on that fat in order to stay regular.

I have tried to increase it by adding in natural peanut butter...using a bit more olive oil...and now the avocados that contain healthy fats. It has played havoc with my calorie count but I feel it is worth having to make some modifications to solve this problem.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

but don't take more than 350 mg of magnesium per day. That's the highest recommended dose for adults.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a colonic. Get it all washed out and start again with some proper food to prevent this happening again. Trust me you will feel AMAZING afterwards especially if you've not been for 7 days!!!

No. Colonics are dangerous.

Colonics are not dangerous! What are you talking about? You clearly have never had one. I have been on two detox cleanses one for 1 week the second for 2 weeks with colonics 2x a day. And as long as you go to a professional there is nothing dangerous about them! I did them myself with good instructions. Rested my digestive system during this time and had plenty of fresh juice and veggie broth during the detox along with daily yoga and abdominal massages. Please do your research before making unfounded comments. I was simply offering a temporary solution to a painful problem.

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20429816,00.html

Peace

Here's the link- from a legitimate medical source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colon-cleansing/faq-20058435

and from the article: In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems
  • mccindy72
    Options
    These are all GREAT suggestions. I guess I just feel frustrated due to the fact that I workout daily for 30-45 minutes, drink 80 or more ounces of water, and eat 25-30 grams of fiber per day. I feel like I am "healthy." Am I not? Why is this so difficult for me?

Have you called your doctor? Seems like an important step after so much time without going, especially if you're experiencing discomfort.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

but don't take more than 350 mg of magnesium per day. That's the highest recommended dose for adults.

why's that? I was previously told (by my doc) to take 1500 for migraine prevention, which worked but gave me the burning sh!ts so I quit after a while - but because of the previous advice, when migraines started up more frequently again I added back a little over 850mg a day in divided doses on my own, you have me wondering now if that's a bad idea...
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Its been over 24hours

Hopefully OP has taken a dump
  • mccindy72
    Options

why's that? I was previously told (by my doc) to take 1500 for migraine prevention, which worked but gave me the burning sh!ts so I quit after a while - but because of the previous advice, when migraines started up more frequently again I added back a little over 850mg a day in divided doses on my own, you have me wondering now if that's a bad idea...

Magnesium can help with migraines, but its better to use in combination with other meds. 400 mg of Riboflavin (B2) is another good one with low side efftects and can help a lot too. So can Aleve. I take 250 mg of Magnesium, the B2, and also Topamax to keep migraines under control, that works well. Too much magnesium can result in cramping, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, mood changes, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, pain with urination, and appetite loss. Should be taken with food if it is taken
  • smyrnist
    smyrnist Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi,

My advice could be out of topic when trying to avoid fat but I know that drinking a tsp of olive oil and a big glass of water afterwards (you really need this to clear that smell out of your throat) on an empty stomach and preferably in the morning really helps... :)
  • Phrick
    Options

Magnesium can help with migraines, but its better to use in combination with other meds. 400 mg of Riboflavin (B2) is another good one with low side efftects and can help a lot too. So can Aleve. I take 250 mg of Magnesium, the B2, and also Topamax to keep migraines under control, that works well. Too much magnesium can result in cramping, diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, mood changes, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, pain with urination, and appetite loss. Should be taken with food if it is taken

Thanks for that. I'm without insurance for a few more days but come April 1 we'll be covered again and I can talk to a doc about it. In the meantime... I'm not sure. I haven't noticed the side effects you mentioned, at this dose, but lowering it a little at a time (till I experience migraine again) can't hurt anything either. Think I'll go that route till I can be seen.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I poop deer balls too. It's from IBS. You might want to look into Tumeric pills as those are supposed to help. My sister, who is like me but actually worse, swears by it.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Thanks for that. I'm without insurance for a few more days but come April 1 we'll be covered again and I can talk to a doc about it. In the meantime... I'm not sure. I haven't noticed the side effects you mentioned, at this dose, but lowering it a little at a time (till I experience migraine again) can't hurt anything either. Think I'll go that route till I can be seen.

You can find the B2 at the 400 mg dose on Amazon for about $16, I think, that's where I get it. It's a bit bottle and lasts a long time. Main side effect : turns your urine Jolly Rancher yellow.
  • Phrick
    Options

You can find the B2 at the 400 mg dose on Amazon for about $16, I think, that's where I get it. It's a bit bottle and lasts a long time. Main side effect : turns your urine Jolly Rancher yellow.

So I'll have to judge the sufficiency of my fluids intake another way, hmm? :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    Options

So I'll have to judge the sufficiency of my fluids intake another way, hmm? :laugh:

LOL - definitely!
  • zoquo
    zoquo Posts: 75
    Options
    I highly recommend getting a colonic. Get it all washed out and start again with some proper food to prevent this happening again. Trust me you will feel AMAZING afterwards especially if you've not been for 7 days!!!

No. Colonics are dangerous.

Colonics are not dangerous! What are you talking about? You clearly have never had one. I have been on two detox cleanses one for 1 week the second for 2 weeks with colonics 2x a day. And as long as you go to a professional there is nothing dangerous about them! I did them myself with good instructions. Rested my digestive system during this time and had plenty of fresh juice and veggie broth during the detox along with daily yoga and abdominal massages. Please do your research before making unfounded comments. I was simply offering a temporary solution to a painful problem.

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20429816,00.html

Peace

Here's the link- from a legitimate medical source: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/consumer-health/expert-answers/colon-cleansing/faq-20058435

and from the article: In fact, colon cleansing can sometimes be harmful. Colon cleansing can cause side effects, such as cramping, bloating, nausea and vomiting. More serious concerns with colon cleansing are that it can:

Increase your risk of dehydration
    Lead to bowel perforations
    Increase the risk of infection
    Cause changes in your electrolytes, which can be dangerous if you have kidney disease or other health problems

Yes and THATs why you go to a professional to avoid having bowel perforations etc.. Come on people common sense please. I know many people that have either had or do still have colonics and not one of them has had any of the above problems, but like i said they go to professionals. And if you do go to a professional you have to pass a health test first and answer a series of questions therefore eliminating those with kidney disease or other potentially problematic conditions.

After all said and done it's your own personal choice if you wish to try and if you do go to a professional. I highly recommend it as a good jump start to a healthier lifestyle and especially recommend if you have not had a bowel movement in 7 days! Having 7 days of digested waste sat inside your body is far more harmful for you than having a colonic to remove it! Get some perspective people!

Peace
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So much advice; hopefully something's worked by now!
    Only thing left to suggest...all of the above, + jumping jacks?

Hey, it might help get things moving...
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Simple but might be worth a try, cup of hot (ie boiling) water first thing in the morning every day, has worked for me! Also dried apricots are great when things get really bad. Hope you feel better!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Really
    discuss with your doctor not on here.
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Put 3 prunes in a glass of water and leave them overnight soaking. In the morning drink the water and eat the prunes. It works wonders.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough fiber in your diet. You should be having a bowel movement every day, at least. Most of us don't get the fiber we need because processed foods don't contain much at all. Soft breads, meats, cheeses - these things aren't our fiber friends!

Try adding 2 cups of leafy greens (even butter lettuce if that's all you can stomach) to every day, and try eating whole fruits like pears, apples, oranges - one with each meal.

I'm sorry you're having this issue, I'm sure it feels awful. Once you've passed the problem of the moment you can take steps to prevent it in the future by incorporating regular fiber into your diet. Good luck!

This. Eat anything with fiber, and that can include apples and whole grains. Use "fiber" as something to track and try for 40g a day. It will be HUGELY beneficial. Good luck!