Does ovulation cause weight gain?

Options
I've lost nine pounds-supposedly. But then out of nowhere I gained 7 pounds. I don't know if it's water weight from sodium or what. I also heard maybe it's from muscle repair because I really worked out my arms monday and they've been sore for a while.
But anyways... I usually gain weight due to water retention before and during my period.
But I'm not on my period and it's not till a few weeks from now.

According to a period app I use to track my cycle... I'm actually ovulating.
But my ovulation began sunday and ...my weird weight gain began wednesday.
Tuesday I was having weird cravings though. Maybe it was because I was stressed. I ate two thin mints and a cake (a small one which was worth 440 calls). I did workout out that day. Next thing I know I wake up 7 pounds heavier.
Obviously the seven pounds can't be from the cake and cookies lol.

i don't know guys I'm freaking out. Being a female is just too complicated and confusing.

Replies

• amanstewa3
    amanstewa3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have this problem every month. I don't know how many pounds I gain because I don't have a scale, but my belly gets so bloated I almost look pregnant. And I crave sweets terribly. I am ovulating now and ended up eating two pastries today. It's awful to go through every month. But after my period, my belly flattens back out. Just remember that it will pass.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It really is hard to be a woman, sometimes you only get one good accurate week to get a reading properly, I saw your other post and commented and I think if you know for sure that you're not massively over eating then I think that maybe you just need to relax, keep up what you're doing and revisit the scale. Give yourself a few days to level out (your muscle repair), and I stand by my explanation regarding sodium. Even on my 9 day holiday eating 3500 cals a day I still only gained 5 pounds. Just take care of yourself and cut your sodium if it's high.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Ovulation typically runs over 3-5 days in most women. Bloating is a natural occurrence during this time as well as the following period. Basically, the end of one cycle/beginning of another, you can expect to retain a decent amount of water. It's a natural process that tends to signify fertility and proper hormonal function, so I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it's just 7 pounds.

I had an IUD for a year and didn't have this happen much but since I've had it out, I gain up to 20 pounds during ovulation. It drive me crazy, because I feel so full up, but basically, I let it go unless it sticks around for more than a couple weeks. That's the kicker though, those 7 pounds may stay through to either the beginning or end of your period.

This is why some women have opted to weigh once a month for their official weigh-in, 2 days after finishing their period, in the morning, after the bathroom, before breakfast, and naked. Yeah, lots of details, but it allows for the water weight to dissipate from the period session, and regulates the timing of your weigh ins to try and standardize the analysis of loss.