I need chocolate and sugar replacements!

Options
VCopple
VCopple Posts: 56 Member
Hi there. Here's some background info: I have been using MFP for almost a year now, and I've been syncing it with my Fitbit Flex for about six months. I have had the Mirena IUD for three months. I walk an average of 4 miles every day for my job as a teacher's assistant. I get some exercise at work and then try to walk on the weekends.

I have a problem with will power when it comes to chocolate or candy in general. The time sheet log bog sits right next to the candy jar. Every day I eat at least two fun sized candy bars. One when I sign in, and one when I sign out. I have figured out how to curb my cravings at work during the 10:30 slump I used to hit, but now I am having a 3:30-4:00 slump where I am craving sugar and chocolate like nobody's business. The last three days it has been a craving for a Bavarian cream filled doughnut.

I was thinking this most recent three days have been hormonal as I have been breaking out on my face like I did before I had my IUD put in.

I need ideas on how to stop the sugar cravings, and ideas on how I can still get my chocolate fix without 120 calories per day....I am open to pretty much any ideas you people can come up with!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    i get my chocolate in my post workout chocolate milk and my protein/fiber bars are coated in chocolate, or trail mix. So i get my chocolate but it all serves a purpose with protein, fiber or nuts not just empty chocolate bar calories.

and if 120 calories keeps you on the wagon so be it!
  • snappled
    snappled Posts: 48
    Options
    voortman cookies
    no trans fats
    Sugar Free

Canadian company that made headlines when it said they were banning trans fats. It became the first to do so in Canada and in North America

I buy the oatmeal and chocolate chip kind
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ever try a Quest bar? The chocolate chip cookie is really good and if you can warm it for a few seconds its even better :)
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    bump - I would like some creative alternatives to sweets too!
  • coconuttjd
    Options
    I would recommend a bit of intense exercise every day.

For myself the endorphins from exercise have replaced the feel good feeling I got from eating. I still get cravings but they go away after an exercise session.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I mix 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder. Lot of protein, low in carbs, low sugar, low fat. Probably more calories that one mini chocolate bar, but it keeps me full a long time and it's delicious.

There's no way I could control myself if I were near a jar of chocolates every day. I don't know how you do it.

(edit: I just looked it up. My snack above is 150 cal.)
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I can eat what seems like a lot of chocolate flavoured things without actually eating chocolate. In my preworkout shake I have chocolate milk with unflavoured protein OR chocolate protein in milk (almond/skim/hazelnut). In my post workout oats I put chocolate protein in OR unflavoured protein with unsweetened cocoa powder and some honey (tastes like pudding for breakfast). For an evening snack when I really want chocolate, I mix in a bowl, plain Greek yogurt (0%Fage) with unsweetened cocoa, sweetener of choice (vanilla flavour drops or honey) and then I'll add some raspberries and ground flaxseed. Because right now I'm all over chocolate and raspberry combo. It's chocolate yogurt heaven.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use a tablespoon or two of dark chocolate powder in my morning smoothie. Only adds about 20 calories and maybe some health benefits, but it's still chocolate which makes it feel more like a treat.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Make a hot chocolate with cocoa and a touch of sugar. 1 tablespoon of cocoa has 12 cal, 1 teaspoon of sugar has 16 cal. Water has 0 total cals 28. (marshmallows extra)
    Can you tell I am in Canada and there is still 3 feet of snow outside lol
  • Kixshots
    Kixshots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I put a tablespoon of hot chocolate powder in my oatmeal in the morning XD it's epic
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions here! I completely forgot I used to use unsweetened cocoa powder in things - I will have to buy some more! :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you sure this is the best approach? What if eating sweet stuff - the real deal or artificial - only maintain your cravings for it. Do you eat a varied diet and enogh fat and protein?
  • For chocolate cravings, I snack on a square of Baker's chocolate: the bittersweet ones or the white chocolate ones.

If it's just a general sweetness craving, I spoon out a bit of honey and just eat it. Mmm...

I swear, both of these are satisfying and low cal.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    1. Just plan the snacks into your daily calories/macro's. Done!
    2. Plan other better snacks into your daily calories that make you not want the candy bars so much.
    3. Curb the cravings by drinking coffee or tea.
    4. Eat a breakfast and lunch that are high in solid protein and also with plenty of veggies/fruit, thereby keeping you full longer.
    5. Bring healthy snacks to work, like apples or nuts.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas! :happy: Thank you! How about you all add me as a friend, and then you can help me! Questions: Where do I find Quest bars or voortman cookies? I have never heard of either of these. I also went out and bought some pre-portioned nuts covered in dark chocolate cocoa powder (The Emerald brand) and I'm wondering if I can make these myself at home to save money? Ahamm002, I have done many of your suggestions and found that 80% of the time that works for me, but it is the other 20% of the time that it doesn't, which is why I think the cravings may be hormonal.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Pudding cups or a chocolate protein shake. I haven't had an actual chocolate bar in months.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would make it a point to not eat them on purpose.

even for just a week. Mostly as a discipline issue.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Plan around the snacks. No one says you have to give up anything to make this work. However, sugar can be a big part of the issue for many.

Alternatives:

Quest Bar - cookies N Cream, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough or Chocolate Brownie
    Ovaltine - Mix it with milk and a banana
    Nutella - 1 serving is enough to cure my sweet tooth
    Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
    Vanilla Greek Yogurt - add in 1 serving of dark chocolate chips
    Engery Balls - Oatmeal, dark chocolate chips, honey, flax seed and peanut butter.

Also - look in Recipes - there are often sweet tooth ideas that wont break your macros.

Try to reduce, but if you have a craving...its okay!!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I want to read what people have to say, because I LOVE chocolate!!! Thanks for asking the question, sorry I couldnt really offer any suggestions! :(
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For chocolate cravings I'll usually have an EAS Carb Control Chocolate Fudge protein shake, 100 calories, 0 sugar, 3.5 carbs & 17 grams of protein.