how to stop eating sweets?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimazoo
    kimazoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a reallllyyyy hard time stopping myself from eating what I crave specially in the evening. during day time I can control myself from eating what I want like sweets and other stuff that will make you fat and continue to eat clean but at night I go crazy for it then I start to eat it. I only shop for healthy food but i live with my mother and there are times where she brings home all those junky food. i have a sweet tooth so it's hard not to eat it when you can see it lol. she knows I'm trying to eat healthy but she still brings them home cause most of the times the food are just given to her by friends or co workers. how do i stop myself from eating all these sugars and carbs? :(

One of my favorite things to grab when I want something sweet at night is a chocolate "ice cream". It's one frozen banana, 1-2 tsp of cocoa powder, and 1 tsp of pure vanilla, and 1/4 cup of almond milk. Put it in a food processor and it's like chocolate soft serve ice cream without all the guilt. Works for me every time! Good luck!!
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I'd just about strangle somebody for a chocolate bar if I don't get enough carbs during the day. Carbs help me feel full and energized and if I try to cut them down too much I'm an exhausted sugar - craving maniac who ends up waaaaay over my calorie limit. Maybe get a little more during the day? That way you've planned for them and your total cals are still good and you're not tempted to start raiding the sugar bowl with a spoon?
    This! If I haven't had enough carbs, for whatever reason, all I want is chocolate. Not even any other kind of sugar, specifically chocolate. I've learned my lesson there - just eat the pasta, it's going to add up to far fewer calories than NOT eating it and ending up with extra chocolate later!

That said, I do make space in my day for chocolate, even if I'm losing. A little bit each day is a far nicer plan than not having it for ages (I don't care what anyone says, the cravings don't go just because I avoid it for weeks) and then far too much all at once.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If you go for a while without it, the cravings WILL subside and you won't want them as much....you just have to want it bad enough to break past the habitual behavior. Try getting rid of the bad temptations in your home, and substituting it with healthier options till you get to that point. If you're eating from boredom at night, then find something else to do so you aren't focusing on those cravings.
  • SmootzyDee
    Options
    I agree. Weigh it and log it. When you deprive yourself of things you love you are setting yourself up to fail. I am a big sweet eater too, such as eating a whole box of Hostess Cupcakes or Ding Dongs a day, or 20 oreo cookies and milk, so I can relate. Buy some Skinny Cow Ice Cream Bars. They are delicious, expensive, but delicious! As you continue on, your cravings should lessen, especially if you are eating right. I do a Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink every morning, I mix up a Green Drink for lunch, and have a Lean Cuisine for Supper, plus my snacks! It's working great for me and I'm not craving sweets like I was, but when I do, which is about every 4 days or so, I eat a Skinny Cow. lol. Just my opinion and what's worked for me.
  • SamanthaKayShaver
    SamanthaKayShaver Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving, I plan out the entire rest of my day and fit a bit in there somewhere. I know the cravings can come suddenly, so i've started doing it out of habit.

It also really helps finding low calorie things that curbed the sweet tooth. That banana icecream recipes mentioned earlier has already been added to my databank! lol. There are also recipes for microwavable brownies. A spoonful of peanut butter. Dark chocolate covered strawberries. Sugar free hard candies.

I'm ordering dinner from iHOP tonight and my dinner is 2 blueberry whole wheat pancakes with bananas on top, egg substitute and turkey bacon. And I have just enough left over for their 130 cal ice cream sundae!

But know it happens to everyone. Last night I went back for a second reese's cheesecake :-/ I just worked out a little longer today!
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Another idea: I just changed up my meal names from breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks to Veg & Fruit, Grains, Protein, Dairy, and Treats. This helps MFP recall my most frequent choices faster in each category and it helps me prioritize the things I should eat regardless of what I want to eat. And it trains my mind to think of certain foods (like ketchup and jelly) as a treat and not a food.

In general I've found that the less sugar I eat, the less sugar I crave.
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel like eating sweet have a bowl of salad, evan a few salads of cucumber will do. Munching on something can make you feel a little relaxed and stop thinking of the sweet cravings you have frequently. After that if you feel like then you can go for a walk outside and take in some fresh air. I have found people get relief from this. Hope it helps you too.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have a reallllyyyy hard time stopping myself from eating what I crave specially in the evening. during day time I can control myself from eating what I want like sweets and other stuff that will make you fat and continue to eat clean but at night I go crazy for it then I start to eat it. I only shop for healthy food but i live with my mother and there are times where she brings home all those junky food. i have a sweet tooth so it's hard not to eat it when you can see it lol. she knows I'm trying to eat healthy but she still brings them home cause most of the times the food are just given to her by friends or co workers. how do i stop myself from eating all these sugars and carbs? :(

I know what you mean. Most people have their vulnerabilities, sweets are yours. You can measure your sweets out, put them in a ziplock bag and toss the rest. That's your portion for the day or, you can emind yourself it is just you engaging in what has become a habit and you can unlearn it.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I find I can't just have one biscuit. So sad as this sounds, when I get the urge to have another I open the biscuit tin (which is there for hubby and son) and smell the biscuits and shut the lid, it almost feels like eating them. Sounds like a crackpot idea but its working in this house at the moment!