BMR, TDEE, Hypothyroid

Options
cloe31
cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
Hi everyone,

I am wondering is someone can tell me if they had success with losing weight with having hypothyroid.

I follow the Eat more to lose weight guide and according to them I should be eating 2200 calories to lose weight. I have done this with no success. I also read some where that when you are hypo you should deduct 20% off your BMR to get the right TDEE. Has this worked for anybody?

I am only looking to see who has lost weight with people simply counting their calories. Cutting out foods groups and starving myself is not an option.

Thanks

Replies

• jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My thyroid was killed off with radioactive iodine, I am now Hypo on medication. I have lost 41lbs in 6 months just following calorie counting and exercising at least 5X a week for a minimum of 30 mins. The highest I have set my calories is 1800 and I didnt eat back exercise calories and its been slow but steady.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm hypo and have been eating around 1750 a day (my BMR) with 3 days (1 hour each) of intense exercise and I'm losing! I'm not eating back exercise calories and I'm tracking macros at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I was always convinced I couldn't lose weight without low-carb and here I am... losing FAT. The trainer I go to has a scale that shows body composition. It's very interesting to see what's changing.
  • eigna69
    eigna69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo. I've been up and down with the weight for years. i finally decided to take this journey again. I decided to incorporate coconut oil into my diet.It is suppose to help with the thyroid and fat- burning. I monitor my carbs somewhat, but I really don't count the calories. My daily allowance is 1730. Sometimes I'm under sometimes I'm over. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since I seriously changed how I eat. I've lost 12 lbs.I'm determined to weight less often and focus more on the inches. Hope this helps. I still have 75 lbs to lose.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, I take 75mcg Synthroid daily. I've been stable on this dose for many years so my metabolism seems to be like that of a normal person my age. (Late 30s.) The biggest key to success is getting your TSH below 3. If it's higher than 3-5, you really should have your thyroid replacement medication increased. Your metabolism can't recover until your TSH is where it should be, preferably in the 1-3 range.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!