Single Person Meals!

Options
2»

Replies

• Brett_Mason
    Brett_Mason Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a local restaurant that makes amazing side. Greens, beans, corn, cabbage, carrots etc etc. And you can buy them by the pint, quart or whatever. So I buy the sides I like and freeze them and just cook my meat fresh. Easy to do a chicken breast or whatever, pop the veggies in the microwave....walla! healthy quick meal for one
  • IRISHCHRIS58
    IRISHCHRIS58 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WOW !! Everyone Thanks :wink:
  • IRISHCHRIS58
    IRISHCHRIS58 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks !!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. Another one www.allrecipes.com. Type in cooking for one and there are tons of recipes. Good luck..
  • tattsb4u
    tattsb4u Posts: 30
    Options
    My hubby works out of town all week and I have a 15 year old daughter who is the pickiest person alive so I basically cook for myself all week. The main thing I have started to do is buy a large pack of fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts and bake them on Sunday night. I season the heck out of them with salt free seasoning. Chop all the chicken up and throw it into the fridge. I eat off of that for most of the week.

I absolutely LOVE chicken salad....so I tried this

Chicken
    Oikos Fat Free French Onion Dip (25 calories for two tablespoons) - seriously rocks!
    Onions
    Celery
    1/2 whole wheat pita

I mix all the ingredients together and stick it in the pita with lettuce and tomato.

Fresh cut up chicken in my fridge is my salvation. I can never say I don't have anything to eat....

Just a few thoughts :smile:
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I make four serving recipes from Allrecipes.com...chili, beans and rice, chicken and vegetables, things like that. Cook it on a Sunday and you have three servings of lunch/dinner throughout the week. Great timesaver also.

I like this ... My son does not eat leftovers like he used to so tossing food has become an issue for me - I tend to just plan a couple days ahead now and try to keep the wasted food to a minimum.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cook enough for two people and have the other portion for lunch or dinner the next day or freeze it for when you're too lazy to cook.
  • realtrueblue
    realtrueblue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Such great ideas - thank you all! I do what many people here suggest - cook in bulk and then freeze so you don't get bored by eating the same thing for a week! One of my go to standards though is to get a pack of chicken thighs from Cosco. They come in six packs of four thighs which are freezer ready. I take one pack of the thighs, remove the skin and cut off any fat remaining. Smother them in smooth Dijon mustard (which you can also get from Costco to have a large supply at hand) and then season liberally. Besides pepper I put garlic and herb salt free seasoning, and spicy pepper flakes. Shove it in the oven (I put it in the toaster oven) at 375 for 45 minutes and serve two of those thighs with whatever veggies my heart desires. It is a delicious meal and you have two thighs left for the next day - which are equally delicious eater cold.

Grace and strength to all on the downward journey!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I season and bake a few chicken breasts during meal prep.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Your Freezer and Tupperware should become your new best friends. Make a 4 portion (or however many) recipe - save one for later in the week and freeze two!

Even cooking for a family I make things this way - we make a HUGE lasagna and freeze 1/2 (or make two pans and freeze one). Spaghetti sauce, casseroles, meat loaf, soups, chili, etc. Sometimes it's easier to only make the mess once!

As a single guy you can even do that with sides. Make a pasta salad or and use it for lunch during the week (sometimes I add protein to it for a main dish - tuna, chicken, etc.)

Make a small steak and baked potato with veggies and salad.

Make 4 burgers and grill them and then freeze them after they are cooked - they reheat fine in the microwave and you don't have to light the grill every night!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Get a muffin pan, make a mix of egg whites, cheese, diced tomatoes, spinach, and turkey bacon (or whatever else strikes your fancy,) and then fill the muffin spots up half way and bake, for mini quiches that are high in protein and low in calories!!!
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some people will probably complain that I'm saying this, but whatever. I eat Lean Cuisines sometimes. They take like 3 minutes to microwave, taste pretty good, clean up takes 5 seconds, aren't full of sodium, and I can't binge on them because it takes effort to open up another one. Plus my local Target had them BOGO free, so they only cost $1.25 each. /shrug

I had their Asian salad today...it was amazing. I take these to work a lot. LC and Healthy Choice are the only frozen dinners I like at all that are low enough in calories for me.

^^ this. I literally have a Lean Cuisine for lunch at work almost every day. I have also recently started with some Healthy Choice ones. they are just simple for when I'm at work!! I guess I'm lazy. I like sleep.
    I am not a huge fan of cooking in general - I get too distracted by other things! I'm trying to get better at that! HA but I usually eat lots of salads & veggies. I bake single servings of chicken or fish.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what other people have already suggested.

Cook generic/multi-use proteins on a Sunday to use for the rest of your week. Ground turkey/beef can serve as a platform for taco salad and extra protein in a pasta dish or spaghetti sauce. Chicken breast is as at home in a ton of ethnic applications as it is as a salad topper. Chicken thigh is equally diverse and a great choice for those of us that are thrifty. Pork chops can be separated into the appropriate serving size when you bring them home from the store. I live in Colorado, so all of my fish is frozen anyway, but the manufacturers now individually seal fish fillets.

Buy containers and use leftovers for lunches or freeze leftovers for another week. I know I don't always like having the same thing for lunch as I had for dinner and variety is the spice of life.

I've found using frozen vegetables from the store make great "single serving" lunches. Add some of said chicken breast to the veggies and you have a nutritious meal. I swear by Kroger's Asian stir-fry veggies with noodles for this application.

Good luck!
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Cook for 4 and freeze three portions in seperate containers. This means dividing the meal when it is completed cooking into four equal portions. You can then have the same mealat the same time for three weeks. Do this for a week and you cut down your cooking time immensely. More time for excercise loving and the occassional very occassional:drinker: Guiness

I do this but I'll make several different meals (usually on the weekend) and freeze them in divided ziplock containers. Then I have a variety of frozen meals.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Get a wok and do stir fry, You can buy frozen shrimp, frozen boneless skinless chicken portions for your base protein. I also grill a whole tri tip beef roast rare about 5 minuets on each side. I use the end cuts for the first meal and refrigerate whats left. It is easier to slice when cold and then I slice of 3-4 oz portions wrap in plastic and freeze for future meals to rotate in with the frozen chicken and shrimp. Beef Broccoli and ****aki, Chicken with mango chunks keffir lime red bell pepper and onions, Shrimp with shallots and snow peas and carrot. Mung bean noodles, are gluten free, hydrate quickly and come dried in single serving portions. Start with store bought sauces like oyster, banana sauce, sweet chili, and then move on to make your own. Not into Asian style food? do tacos. I use the 4 inch street tacos corn tortillas. 3-4 tacos makes a meal, The tortillas last a long in the fridge.

Quinoa is also a bachelor chow staple. I make a batch and fill clean mason jars and fill it while hot and lid it and refrigerate. Canned Quinoa. Then I use the single portion of Quinoa as a base for pesto chicken, or a cold lunch of Quinoa de gallo. basically quinoa mixed with lime juice, diced tomato minced onion, chopped cilantro and sea salt. usually what is left of from taco night.

I also make and can soups. Chicken with wild rice and root veggies, Thai style green curry( soak the bean noodles and add after reheating). Albondigas i.e. Mexican meatball, and an Italian wedding soup. If canned properly these stay preserved in in the fridge for months. Its a go to meal when all you have the time or patience to reheat something.
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    With the guy above me!

I love stir frys. I make loads of veggies and a bit of chicken. Put it over some rice.

I also do loads of recipes from Skinny taste. I freeze the leftovers. This is the one I use the most. You can eat it over some rice. Or I like to put it in a corn tortilla with some avocado and jicama. Yum!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html