Any relation - morning cardio makes one sleepy later?

Options
runner475
runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
I experience it ALL THE TIME on days I do cardio. I'm a morning person and on cardio days (I run) I feel sleepy after I'm done running, let's say after 2 hours I start getting drowsy. Is there any particular reason why this may be happening? What is my body telling me?

I spoke with 2 friends of mine who workout in the mornings and they feel the same.

Replies

• PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It might be the way you're fueling your body after your workouts.
    How many calories do you consume a day?
  • runner475
    Options

I eat/drink protein after workout.

1200 calories and I eat workout calories.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Net more calories in your day.

Drink coffee.

If you already drink coffee, drink more.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I do HIIT cardio every morning at 5am. Follow that up with a lukewarm-then-cold shower, and I've got energy for DAYS afterwards...

I also train in a fasted state; breakfast at 9:30 am.
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 6 mornings a week and strength training 3 days a week. I've never felt sleepy after cardio, actually I'm usually quite hyper for a couple of hours(so my co-workers say lol).

I drink a protein after working out and I eat 6 times throughout the day. I'm wondering if 1200 calories is enough for you. Many people have got caught in the "1200 calories" trap.

Try adding a few my after workout calories or have a small snack prior to cardio.

I'm no doctor, i'm just rrying to help :)
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options

If you are only consuming 1,200 calories a day and feeling low in energy you should up your calories a bit more.
    Also try also adding some good carbs along with that protein/drink.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess, but maybe it's because you're expending energy.

THIS IS JUST A GUESS!
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I can feel really wiped out on days I do cardio if I don't have a large meal afterwards. I typically will take in 400-600 cals after a cardio workout. My daily calories are quite a bit higher than yours though, so that might not be as feasible for you at 1200 cals/days unless you up your calories a bit.

When I was marathon training in 2012, I used to swear by a big glass (16-20 oz IIRC?) of chocolate milk the minute I came in from a run, and then I'd eat a larger meal after showering and stretching. I generally felt pretty good for the entire time I was on that training schedule and had lots of energy.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

If you are only consuming 1,200 calories a day and feeling low in energy you should up your calories a bit more.

^^^
  • runner475
    Options

^^^

I eat my exercise calories. I think I'm depending on MFP for exercise calories which like someone jus' mentioned is "laughable". I think that must be the reason.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I agree with Sonic, you probably need to net more calories. Eat carbs after a run (ideally something with a carb to protein ratio of 4:1) Running depletes stored glycogen which is what you want to replenish. Protein after lifting.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Check your iron intake. If it's low, you should try to eat more iron rich foods (try to stay away from supplements because they cause constipation) combined with vitamin C for better iron absorption. Low iron stores can cause sleepiness.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I have never become tired later because of my morning cardio.

If you're low on energy you may need to up your food intake, higher energy foods, or coffee, people seem to like that for energy!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I really think you just need to eat more.

I work out in the mornings and never feel tired after. I come home and have a protein shake in addition to maybe some greek yogurt and fruit...and after I'm done working out, I eat a protein bar on the drive home.

Good luck!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I find it's the exact opposite, it's better than a cup of coffee for me!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I really think you just need to eat more.

I work out in the mornings and never feel tired after. I come home and have a protein shake in addition to maybe some greek yogurt and fruit...and after I'm done working out, I eat a protein bar on the drive home.

Good luck!
    +1

When I would workout at 5am, before work, I felt so energized throughout the rest of the day.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Try adding fruit to your protein drink. Maybe your body needs more sugar and you are experiencing a drop in blood sugar?
  • Mich4871
    Mich4871 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the other advice, I would get your Vitamin D levels checked. I was beyond fatigued after work outs, and upon having Vitamin D levels checked at a routine check up, I was found to have extreamly low Vit D. Once I started a high dose of Vitamin D supplements (at my Drs recommendation), I found my energy levels were great after a work out.
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Running makes me need an afternoon nap. I am fine any other sort of cardio but after a 6-10k run I am always exhausted and hungry.