Pickles

Options
So I picked up some baby dill pickles today, since I know they're low calorie and make a good snack. But the jar says 0 calories per pickle...so I am at a loss! If I eat six baby pickes, I'm sure I've consumed some sort of caloric content, right? How do I calculate how many calories consumed?

Replies

• April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I googled baby dill pickles and it shows most of them as 2.5 calories per pickle. so i would go by that just to be safe :)
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064932.htm

In summary, something labeled as "0 calories" will have less than 5 calories per serving. So 6 of them is at most 24 calories.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I dunno lol. I always log my pickles as zero and sometimes I eat half a jar D: I say whatever you're comfortable with logging-wise, I suppose
  • Super_Amy
    Super_Amy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the salt.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Well, I know for a fact that pickle chips have calories. I think what it comes down to are the ingredients and how they are prepared. Some pickles are not only loaded with salt, but also with sugar. Sounds like these aren't the case. Negligible at best in the calorie department, but if you eat half the jar in one day, you've definitely changed it from "zero calorie" per serving to calories.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Well, I know for a fact that pickle chips have calories. I think what it comes down to are the ingredients and how they are prepared. Some pickles are not only loaded with salt, but also with sugar. Sounds like these aren't the case. Negligible at best in the calorie department, but if you eat half the jar in one day, you've definitely changed it from "zero calorie" per serving to calories.

Don't you rain on ma parade :P Bahaha. I have to agree though.
  • dodochoga
    dodochoga Posts: 33
    Options
    you aren't going to break your diet by eating pickles, trust me. what you will break is your heart with all that sodium, so watch out! eat pickles with moderation.