People irritate the *kitten* out of me

Options
It should never be OK to talk about a person's weight. Ever. Period. I have worked at the same place for the past 14 years. Some of these people have known me almost half my life. And over the years (and 2 kids) I had put on some weight. I carried it well, thankfully, but it was totally unhealthy. Now that I have lost the bulk of it and am back to a healthy weight people are making all kinds of comments! "Oh you're too skinny now" "You need to stop losing weight" Mind you, I was this weight 14 years ago when I started working here and no one had anything to say about it then! It's just that they got used to seeing me heavier and now they aren't used to it. I'm so over. I've gotten to the point where I lie to people about whether or not I have more weight to lose. Granted, I'm only one pound away from my goal (!) but it still aggravates the *kitten* out of me!

Ok, rant over. Thanks for listening. Happy Friday :happy:

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I'm 1 lb to goal and I've taken to evading the question about whether or not I'm in maintenance yet. It's annoying to have to explain yourself. I don't generally get too aggravated because the people who comment to me are family and friends who I know for certain really do care about me. The problem is I'm 5'6", 149 lbs, and no where near too thin. I'm a grown woman and I do know how to take care of myself. I can decide if I'm at a healthy, satisfactory weight or if I need to gain or lose a few pounds.

I think it really does boil down to people getting used to the overweight you and they can't really wrap their brains around the slimmer you.

BTW, congrats on your success!! You've done amazing!
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    First off congrats!! :happy:

I have been getting the same kind of remarks at work, I am only 1/2 to my goal and people keep telling me not to lose more. Really working at this office the last 5 years I have been my heaviest ever. They didnt know me at my smallest (when I was with my previous employer) so they have no base to know my healthy weight.

I think people just dont know how to handle change in those they see everyday....I dont know about your case but I know a couple here it has been jealousy that has spurred their comments.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I'm 1 lb to goal and I've taken to evading the question about whether or not I'm in maintenance yet. It's annoying to have to explain yourself. I don't generally get too aggravated because the people who comment to me are family and friends who I know for certain really do care about me. The problem is I'm 5'6", 149 lbs, and no where near too thin. I'm a grown woman and I do know how to take care of myself. I can decide if I'm at a healthy, satisfactory weight or if I need to gain or lose a few pounds.

I think it really does boil down to people getting used to the overweight you and they can't really wrap their brains around the slimmer you.

BTW, congrats on your success!! You've done amazing!

I am 5ft 6 and I can't wait till I am 149lb - I'm currently in the 190's. Congratulations on your dedication and effort! :)
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think people just dont know how to handle change in those they see everyday....I dont know about your case but I know a couple here it has been jealousy that has spurred their comments.

This!
    Congrats on your achievement!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I cant wait until someone tells me to stop losing weight LOL
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My friend lost a great deal of weight two years ago and has maintained for over a year. People STILL tell her she's "melting away." Her response is "You have to get the 'fat me' out of your mind. I've been this size for 14 months."

Sometimes, people have to get new "us" into their minds before those comments stop.

Congrats on your hard work!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I saw your profile pic. Goal weight, check. Boobs, check. Curves, check. Until you appear like a young boy with no boobs or hips or butt, you are exactly how you should be. Lean and ladylike! Don't let the people bringing in the donuts make you feel like you have to explain anything. You look great!
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's probably jealousy. Have they been bulking up a bit too? If so they have probably adjusted their thoughts of what's "OK" upwards and now they think you're unhealthy.
  • joeysfacts
    joeysfacts Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have the same problem. I've actually been maintaining now for almost a year and still getting the odd comment of "Oh you are too skiinny" or "stop losing weight". My gawd, I'm 5'2" and weigh between 125-127 lbs. I'm muscle and not skin and bones! It has only been comments from women I work with and not men though. I also get the odd teasing on my healthy eating and gluten free options. I chalk it up to envy.

Congrats on your weight loss;)
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Raw envy.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I think this is a girl issue . as I never ever get asked about my weight .. and I am considerably less overweight than I was 8 months ago. If someone was to say something I would just tell them I have lost over 40 lbs of body fat and gained 6 lbs of muscle and feel wonderful.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Question...are you the same body composition before? I weigh the same as before I gained all kinds of weight, but my body fat percentage is probably about 10% lower than then. I still hate the "skinny" word (since I'm quite proud of the muscle I've built), but that's the factor behind my friends' and family's comments. (To the point where some don't even believe me when I say I weigh the same.)
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I got that before when I was 200 pounds! Everyone said I was perfect and needed to stop there. My BMI and (old) doctor told me I should weigh 155 lbs. I told my mom I had a goal weight of 170, and she said I was going to get too thin. LOL.
    I'm trying to persuade her to eat tho..she dropped to 95 lbs. since I last saw her. She is grossly underweight.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    This is something I've experiance a lot to, you've lost enough now or you don't want to start looking unwell!!! Also I get back handed compliments from family that go, "your ok you've lost your weight now" and "it was always your arms that looked really fat" that one really bugged me!

I'm 5'6 and 147 is my goal weight and I'm almost back there after a winter gain and I still get comments from people I don't see often, it would be nice if they just gave a nice compliment and thought their opinion they don't have to go hand in hand.
  • withintherose
    withintherose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I get the melting away comments often since I have been working in an office for over a year now (and dropped 70lbs+ of my current loss while working there). My response is that it will keep melting away until I am where I want to be fitness-wise. People talk... that is what they do.
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Ive been there also, annoying as hell, funny the ones I surpassed in the figure area were the first people to blap about how thin I was, HA! go suck an egg !
    keep doing what you are doing , for you only I might add, it annoys the crap out of them LOLOL
  • earlybrd7
    earlybrd7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I'm repeating something someone already said, but I understand where you're coming from. I think there were a couple of people at work that actually thought I was starving myself or something - very embarrassing. However, there is hope! Just as people got used to seeing you heavier, they will get used to seeing you smaller and healthier - eventually the comments will blow over. I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere down the road people start coming to you for fitness and diet advice :)
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options

This is exactly right. It's much easier for people to stay heavy and unhealthy when everyone around them is doing the same. When someone takes steps to change and succeeds they get uncomfortable and the stupid comments start.I ignore them for the most part.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just tell 'em I'm trying to get down to fightin' weight.
This discussion has been closed.