Recovering from a Binge

Options
Just wondering - what is your recovery method when you binge?

Do you freak out? Do you seek encouragement? Do you skip a meal or two? Do you cut calories back for a couple days? Or exercise more?

Just wondering what others do to recover from a binge.

Replies

• nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I used to skip meals. Cannot recommend that; it can lead to more binges.
    If you feel the need to "even it out", do some exercise. Otherwise I'd say; continue.
    Of course, you can beat yourself up about it, but what do you get from that? It discourages you, it makes you feel bad, the binge still happened, you didn't burn any calories for self- loathing.

It happens. :flowerforyou:
    It won't destroy "everything", I'd simply try to do better next time.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    When I think of binge I might eat 3500 (probably more) calories by the end of the day. That is my kind of binge - just none stop eating and snacking and no portion control. I don't think that is a legit binge but I don't know anything about actual binges.

It happens to me. Ugh. Just the other day. It makes me crazy that I fall into that.

In the past I would try and make up for it by removing those calories by eating less than normal over the next few days, skip meals, etc. That did not work for me. I'd get mean, unhappy, upset, and feel very defeated and hopeless. I was punishing myself and usually binges happen when I already feel beat up - I don't need to add to it :P

This time around I just wake up to a fresh day, start over, and continue on with the current plan. No making up for it. Just kiss that binge goodbye and keep moving forward with a positive attitude, not a punishing one.. That has been my plan since January and it has been working out much better for me. I've had fewer of those days and my overall outlook towards this journey has remained more positive.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself and move on is the best thing to do. Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat light later that day (or not if I don't get hungry) then go back to normal the next day. Today's been really bad, for example, it's not a big deal, I'll get back on track tomorrow (cutting calories the next days just doesn't work for me).
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    after a binge day i just cut back my calories and do more exercise the next day and dont do it again for a week or two
    ex:normal calorie 1850 cut back>1650 cals or a little less for a day *
    cutting back is kinda bad too because you dont get your normal calorie needs you may be a bit hungry that day. but it works to even out the next day ex:workout 45 min normally > increase 1hr 15 min the next day to make the process faster to work off the binge calories and thats my recovery method if i do *not cut back the cals i just increase workout a bit more to 1 hr 30 min thats it.. btw i binge 3600 today as well haha got to make up for it tomorrow not a big deal if you dont make binge a habit 1 day wont hurt ya :indifferent:
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself and move on is the best thing to do. Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint.

What he said. Its about making the right choices more times then not. If you beat yourself up every time you make a mistake its counter productive. Successful people learn from their mistakes and push on they don't dwell on them.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One thing I want to do is learn from it. What triggers my binges?

Yesterday, I went to a work related expo. Every booth had chocolate ( small bite sized twix / snickers / butterfingers / kisses) and I probably had 10-15 at the expo. Then there was a homemade ice cream vendor, and I had a waffle cone. After which, I got ahold of myself, and finished the day with my normal diet.

The binge last week involved cereal. I usually will eat oatmeal or generic grape nuts. And I measure out 2 serving sizes of oatmeal or 1.5 srvg size grape nuts for my meal. But my wife purchased a sugar sweetened cereal (Honey Nut Oats or something) and I grabbed a handful. Than I couldnt stop. I probably ate 1/3 to 1/2 the box just by the handful.

I know that I have some trigger foods that if they are in the house, I struggle to resist. Ice Cream and Home Made Banana Pudding are 2 of those foods that I simply cant resist. So we just dont buy / dont make.

But I am left to wonder, what about the chocolates at the work expo, or last weeks cereal episode that tripped up my eating habits and caused me to attack the foods like I was at a all-you-can-eat buffet? What do I lack in will-power that would enable me to snack on 2 bits sized snickers, and than say "that's enough," and eat no more.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options

Yesterday, I went to a work related expo. Every booth had chocolate ( small bite sized twix / snickers / butterfingers / kisses) and I probably had 10-15 at the expo. Then there was a homemade ice cream vendor, and I had a waffle cone. After which, I got ahold of myself, and finished the day with my normal diet.

The binge last week involved cereal. I usually will eat oatmeal or generic grape nuts. And I measure out 2 serving sizes of oatmeal or 1.5 srvg size grape nuts for my meal. But my wife purchased a sugar sweetened cereal (Honey Nut Oats or something) and I grabbed a handful. Than I couldnt stop. I probably ate 1/3 to 1/2 the box just by the handful.

I know that I have some trigger foods that if they are in the house, I struggle to resist. Ice Cream and Home Made Banana Pudding are 2 of those foods that I simply cant resist. So we just dont buy / dont make.

But I am left to wonder, what about the chocolates at the work expo, or last weeks cereal episode that tripped up my eating habits and caused me to attack the foods like I was at a all-you-can-eat buffet? What do I lack in will-power that would enable me to snack on 2 bits sized snickers, and than say "that's enough," and eat no more.
    stop buying snacks ect you know you will binge on . you set yourself up for failure when you do that. if you do buy them make sure you buy a small package of it you like and walk away. treat your self later in the week with what you brought just make sure if it has high cals dont eat it all just some of it .
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I have the same issues with overeating certain foods, typically certain sweets. I battled that almost all my life. I have no overeating problems with any other foods.

My solution? I learned to embrace the foods, but in my own definition of moderation. I am not the person who will eat a half a cup of ice cream a night, or a bite sizes snickers, and call it a night. When I want foods like that, I prefer to eat them until my heart's content.

So I do. Instead of making them apart of my daily routine, I have them occasionally, and enjoy as much as I like. Giving myself that freedom to enjoy them, and enjoy them as much as I liked, without any guilt, shame, or remorse has made all the difference.

I also intermittent fast, which nullifies any splurges and always leaves me in a deficit.
  • shane_tac1
    shane_tac1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Its called hyperbolic discounting. Its basically thinking of the rewards that are here right now instead of the pay off you will get in the future. Right now you think mmmm I can have a yummy chocolate. The pay off in the future is getting to look and feel the way you want to look and feel, but you aren't achieving that right now, your results are not instant, that's in the future. Right now you have the chance for chocolate so you are rewarding yourself in the present. People who are good at controlling these urges don't have different will power. They have a different approach to the way they think about it. Its about being able to distract yourself from these urges not about having to face them head on and beat them every time.
    So dont beat yourself up about it. Next time take some nuts with you to snack on or a piece of fruit. Distract yourself from eating the junk by eating something healthy. By telling yourself you will just eat a few its like your purposely challenging your will power.
    There is an interesting study called the Stanford Marshmallow study that is worth reading about this.
  • jrfit79
    jrfit79 Posts: 30
    Options
    Tonight was my night of eating way too much! I haven't logged for the day at all, came home and was starving and it was all over from there. I did workout this morning, but I didn't plan the rest of my day very well. I'm way way way over calories just by doing a quick calculation in my head. I came on searching for others who messed up like me to how you get back on the straight and narrow .....and a few detours along the way :) I will be working out hard this weekend!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

I have the same issues with overeating certain foods, typically certain sweets. I battled that almost all my life. I have no overeating problems with any other foods.

My solution? I learned to embrace the foods, but in my own definition of moderation. I am not the person who will eat a half a cup of ice cream a night, or a bite sizes snickers, and call it a night. When I want foods like that, I prefer to eat them until my heart's content.

So I do. Instead of making them apart of my daily routine, I have them occasionally, and enjoy as much as I like. Giving myself that freedom to enjoy them, and enjoy them as much as I liked, without any guilt, shame, or remorse has made all the difference.

I also intermittent fast, which nullifies any splurges and always leaves me in a deficit.

This tends to be the approach I have to take for the most part, for certain things, namely ice cream and cookies. I can just about manage to limit chocolate, but if I want ice cream, I be wanting the whole pint. I have not reached your point yet of accepting totally that it is okay to do things this way. When the majority are practicing everything in moderation, every day, it tends to convince you that you must somehow find a way to shoehorn yourself into being able to eat just a serving at a time. But, as someone who has always been an all or nothing type of person, that has not really worked for me. I also used to practice intermittent fasting. Considering getting into that again, but the 6:1 rather than the 18/6 I used to do.
  • jadedarr
    jadedarr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to binge quite a lot so the two main things I did differently was

!: Removed 'trigger foods' from my house. I found myself treats to put places but there weren't huge amounts of them around.

2: Gave myself a day with an extra 1000 cal. I know that seems like a lot and I think some people call it a 'cheat day' but on a Friday night all I want to do is sit down and have a drink and some candy...so I do.
    I make sure I exercise a little more that day and tbh it hasn't affected my weight loss :)
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You bring 2 concerns: When you're out, and when you're at home.

Someone suggested to not purchase "binge" snacks for home. That helped me, too. I realise now that if I purchase the pre-portioned, mini-chocolates, I'll destroy the entire thing in 2 days ... possibly 1 because let's be honest .... Because of this, I only purchase a chocolate bar once a month, and I eat it once I'm at home. Satisfied. *whew* Everything else at home, I have to make which deters me from the snacking craze.

As for when I'm out, I keep eye contact. With people. If I'm visually grazing for food, then I'll find food; if I'm visually grazing for conversation, then my mind stays on course. Keep the eyes up and away from table treasures. Bring a snack with you such as grapes and whatnot ... things which won't make your hands all smelly if you need to greet one another.

At the end of the day, take one chocolate from a table for being a good boy. Sounds silly, right? But reward yourself for avoiding the other traps. Then leave. Park far away from the building so you have to walk a mile to get to your motorcar. Take a jog once you're at home. 15 min just burned off that mini-chocolate!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

This tends to be the approach I have to take for the most part, for certain things, namely ice cream and cookies. I can just about manage to limit chocolate, but if I want ice cream, I be wanting the whole pint. I have not reached your point yet of accepting totally that it is okay to do things this way. When the majority are practicing everything in moderation, every day, it tends to convince you that you must somehow find a way to shoehorn yourself into being able to eat just a serving at a time. But, as someone who has always been an all or nothing type of person, that has not really worked for me. I also used to practice intermittent fasting. Considering getting into that again, but the 6:1 rather than the 18/6 I used to do.

I've made it a point around here to let others know that there are other roads to Rome.

I did the "everything in moderation" approach in the past to my trigger foods. To say I failed would be an understatement; I regained the 70 lbs I lost, and then an additional 70. It took me a very long time to face the fact that when it came to things like ice cream, cookies, or cakes I was definitely all or nothing; I'm either going to totally abstain, or I'm going to overindulge. When I dropped the guilt about that and gave myself permission to EMBRACE that perspective, it changed everything. Before I would have so many "all" days, thinking tomorrow I needed to be "perfect" so today I'll get it out of my system. Well the "all" days turned into weeks, months, years, and morbid obesity.

I advocate people finding what works for them, truly. I see some of the "everything, every day in moderation" folks around here almost bragging about their nightly ice cream and daily desserts. That's awesome, but don't pretend that's the case for everyone, and don't assume that your way is the only way. I do not do well on that. I am not the person who will, and at this point even wants, to limit those trigger foods. But allowing myself the freedom to enjoy them as much as I want, during the occasional periods I allow them into my diet, has given me so much release and freedom over that issue. It's a real God send! Don't let anybody here talk you into a road you know doesn't work for you. Find your own way and own it!
  • IloveMybody20142014
    Options
    I used to just get super depressed which would lead to even more binging... But recently I've started realizing when I'm about to binge and decide to exercise instead.
    When I binge it's basically me eating my emotions, so when I exercise it helps me get those pint up feelings out without ruining all my work I've put in to changing my life.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I reduce my calories for over a few days afterwards. Sometimes it's easier to reduce your calories by a couple hundred for a few days in a row than skipping meals entirely.

I rarely just "move on" because I have a goal to meet and I'm willing to sacrifice some calories afterwards so I can stay on track.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Well, first I would wallow in guilt for a day or two. I don't recommend this because it does tend to extend the binge by a couple of days. Then I would use senna tea (laxative) and work out like the Tasmanian Devil for a couple of weeks until I finally dropped in exhaustion. I would get on the scale several times a day and if it didn't register the number that I wanted I would cry, resolve to do better and fall headlong into another binge. I would always vow to do better "tomorrow."

Now I log it, shrug it off and get back on track the next meal instead of the next day.
  • wolfcubangel
    wolfcubangel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you do start eating that sugared cereal get out a small bowl; measure out a small portion and make yourself sit down to eat it, not stand around beside the box. It will help with the mindless munching if you see how much you are eating at a time. It's also easier to control.
    At the expo, gather all the chocolate you might want and eat it at a table. It is supposed to help you cut down if you are conscious of how much you're eating, and I know it has helped me out quite a bit.
    As for making it up just do better next time. Maybe for the rest of the day cut out all carbs. That doesn't mean you can't have plenty to eat, just eat better.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    I used to fast the entire day, but then would end up bingeing again the next day. Even when I do extra cardio or eat less to make up for it the next day, I end up bingeing again. I've done some other things too, but don't want to give anyone unhealthy ideas or get into it too much, it was so stupid anyway.

It's been a couple weeks now since I binged and the most I've gone over is ~100-200 cals (compared to multiple thousand cal binges) and I'm pretty sure its because if I do happen to binge, I let it go and start completely fresh the next day. One or two days is nothing, its the overall routine/weeks/months that count.