Sleeping my life away...

Options
Just need some advice.

The last 3-4 weeks I have been sleeping so much. I get so exhausted around 9pm I go to bed and usually sleep 10-12 hours a night. During the day I seem to be o.k but I have been craving chocolate. I am not a huge chocolate fan but lately I just can't stop or resist.

I hav been really moody and angry. I stopped going to the gym and yoga, i just dont have the enegery. Id even just go but leave 15 min later cause I couldnt take it.

I am not pregnant and I feel that I have enough iron I eat red meat and lots of veggies.

I dont think I am depressed I do feel down but I think its because I am sleeping so much and no activity.

I am really stressed right now, I just bought a home and had some unexpected financial issues pop up.

Let me know what you guys thing.

Thanks.

-Nicole

Replies

• Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    that does sound like depression. talk to your dr, and hugs. btdt, and it SUCKS.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Prob best to speak to your doctor, but you might want to get some blood tests - e.g. thyroid, also maybe b12 and vit D. Hope you feel better.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Seconding blood tests. I felt like absolute garbage for a full year until I found out I was celiac, and because of it, my B12, D, and iron levels were extremely low. You may need something as simple as a multivitamin, or there could be an underlying cause. Go get checked out. Since you say you're craving chocolate, I'm willing to bet your iron is low.

EDIT: I just looked at your diary and you're eating under 1200 calories a day for the days you've logged this past week or so. No wonder you're exhausted. An adult woman needs 1200 AT LEAST.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Could be about a gazillion things...

Personally, I'd go get checked out for any nutrient deficiencies...also wouldn't discount the possibility of depression. Also, If you're eating very low calories, not only are you going to be energy deficient from your calorie intake, but you're likely going to be lacking in essential nutrients because it's pretty hard to get adequate nutrition when you're consuming very low calories.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I second having broad spectrum blood tests done. Stress can cause problems on its own but so can other things. It is worth having a check now rather than let the effects build up. From personal experience I would go for a chemical/nutrition cause of mood change rather than the standard "oh, its depression", thyroid issues can do it but so can do it but there are other things too. You could be pointed towards your optimum nutrition which should be good.
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will go to the dr. I just dont want to go and them say its depression and just put me on pills.

Im not suicidal and I am happy most of the time just so tired.

Maybe it is iron, I have a feeling there is an issue with my kidneys so I have put off going to the dr. because I fear the worse but maybe its time.

Thanks everyone
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    SAD? It's been a long winter and you're from Alberta - sooooo maybe you need to just get some vitamin D - go out for a walk, I am in North Western Ontario and it's finally starting to get nice enough to walk outside (it's only -7 here today) :flowerforyou:
  • emeraldvssilver
    emeraldvssilver Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the effects of stress. The cravings for chocolate is because your body is wanting a quick burst of energy because it's tiring itself out with the increase of adrenaline in your system. There's a whole lot of psychobiological factors that aren't really necessary to go into but to me, based on your symptoms, I would say it was stress.

But you should go to your Dr cause they will be able to test to make sure it's not anything else and to help you manage your stress levels. Especially since it seems to be long term and the effects of long term stress are not pretty.

Hope everything goes okay
  • nbrown88ca
    nbrown88ca Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SAD? It's been a long winter and you're from Alberta - sooooo maybe you need to just get some vitamin D - go out for a walk, I am in North Western Ontario and it's finally starting to get nice enough to walk outside (it's only -7 here today) :flowerforyou:

Ive really thought about it being vit d. Ive thought about going tanning once a week to give me that shot i need but its bad for you.

its still pretty cold here so the most outside i get is walking to my car lol.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    you may be getting to much sleep.

Anything more then 8 hours and I feel exhausted all the time. But that could be just me.
  • knra_grl
    Options

Ive really thought about it being vit d. Ive thought about going tanning once a week to give me that shot i need but its bad for you.

its still pretty cold here so the most outside i get is walking to my car lol.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Vitamins/Food-Sources-of-Vitamin-D.aspx
  • knra_grl
    Options
    you may be getting to much sleep.

Anything more then 8 hours and I feel exhausted all the time. But that could be just me.

I actually find that also - when I was on a casual on call schedule I could do anything on 4 hrs sleep - I am a bit older now but still only need between 6-8 hrs
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Could be about a gazillion things...

Personally, I'd go get checked out for any nutrient deficiencies...also wouldn't discount the possibility of depression. Also, If you're eating very low calories, not only are you going to be energy deficient from your calorie intake, but you're likely going to be lacking in essential nutrients because it's pretty hard to get adequate nutrition when you're consuming very low calories.

^^ this .... all of the symptoms could be explained by having your calorie goal too low. But it could be anaemia. Or some other nutritional deficiency. Or something else.

Try upping your calories to see what happens. Maybe even as high as maintenance. If that doesn't give you your energy back, then see a doc. If you're not eating much red meat then anaemia is a strong possibility too.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is low and the last time you logged you came in around 1000 calories. My advice is to start there. Increase your goal to maintenance and then eat that amount-- don't undershoot.

Then make an appointment to see your doctor and go from there.
  • Kakibot
    Kakibot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A year and a bit ago I had similar problems, especially being really sleepy and moody in the afternoon, but also heart palpitations and restless legs, and it was all fixed by three months of serious iron supplements. Since then I am still going up and down with my iron levels (maybe my body has some troubles absorbing it naturally ./) but I have to say that whenever I am anemia-free I just feel so much healthier in general! So I'd recommend having that tested, because it's very common (in ladies).

Good luck! Hope all is good soon!
  • dintentions3
    dintentions3 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    sounds like depression to me(and ive struggled with it for as long as i can remember.) see the doctor..it can save your life
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Maybe I will go to the dr. I just dont want to go and them say its depression and just put me on pills.

Im not suicidal and I am happy most of the time just so tired.

Maybe it is iron, I have a feeling there is an issue with my kidneys so I have put off going to the dr. because I fear the worse but maybe its time.

Thanks everyone

I just want to say that there are other treatment options other than pills if depression is what you are facing. Just tell your doctor that you don't want to jump straight to medication and would like to consider other options first.

I've had great success with cognitive behavioral therapy (even just on my own when I feel myself falling back towards "that place"), and I know many people benefit from talk therapy either one on one with a counselor or with groups. Your doctor may even be able to "prescribe" a better diet or fitness regimen, which I've read recently can also combat depression, or have ideas to motivate you to keep up the one you have even when you don't feel like it.

But either way (depression or not), I think this kind of problem is best seen to by a doctor.

(Edited again to add that no one can force you to take any medication that you don't want.)
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't pregnant?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how you can expect to have any energy eating under 1200 calories a day ?
    If that is accurate logging, then you quite clearly need to be eating more to fuel yourself.
    I would not be remotely surprised you are tired if that is the amount you are eating.
    And working out while not fueling yourself properly, will lead to exhaustion, depression, cravings and a general sense of listlessness.
    I speak from experience.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I do not understand how you can expect to have any energy eating under 1200 calories a day ?
    If that is accurate logging, then you quite clearly need to be eating more to fuel yourself.
    I would not be remotely surprised you are tired if that is the amount you are eating.
    And working out while not fueling yourself properly, will lead to exhaustion, depression, cravings and a general sense of listlessness.
    I speak from experience.

Yup.

Hell, I get that way if I eat less than 1600.