Have You Ever Gotten "The Question?"

Options

Replies

• kmglennie
    kmglennie Posts: 40
    Options
    Yeah, if someone asked me that I'd probably be shocked and look at them like they're crazy for asking.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have never had anyone ask me that ever. But now I would be fine telling them I weigh 191, down from 307 several years ago. Although I'd feel weirder personally sharing my highest weight. I think we all have different comfort levels with that, but I also think it's a rude Q. Actually I just realized that I asked my best friend her weight the other night and I hope she didn't think I was rude! She knows mine, and when we were talking about weight loss I said something like, "I don't want to get down to 120-130 or anything" and she said, "Oh me neither" and she is 5'3" and very petite (I'm 5'8") and I know she's dieting currently but honestly thought she was maybe 140 lb, but turns out she is 163. DOES NOT look it.

If I overheard someone asking someone else their "exact weight" and the person seemed hesitant or uncomfortable at all, I would jump in and say something like "Jeez! Who asks that!?" in a half-joking, half-ticked-off-and-serious manner.

Although I am usually NOT big on sharing my weight loss news/progress with non-MFP friends, I announced on my facebook page recently that I'd been using MFP for a year and was under 200 lb for the first time since age 15-16. That was kind of a big deal to me.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this post, now I'm locked and loaded with great responses to stupid weight loss questions. :drinker:
  • webutmirrortheworld
    webutmirrortheworld Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My new way of handling awkward questions is to say, "what an awkward question to ask" while I look at them like they are poo.
  • ljglivingfree
    ljglivingfree Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AWESOME ANSWER!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Often. And it's silly because people have no sense of how much height and other factors play into it. I think you answered perfectly - and showed what a huge achievement you've made. Congratulations!
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    in my world, you do not ask a woman her weight! people may ask how much you lost but thats it. however, for some reason it is totally acceptable to ask a man his weight because he usually doesnt care.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone asks me a personal question that is none of their business, I always say "why do you want to know?". Whether it's how old are you? what do you weigh? where's your daughter's father? or any number of other personal things that are my business. If someone says something to me that is rude or out of line I say "ouch, that was a painful one" both always put people in their place.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have never asked someones weight let alone in a crowd .How rude. I am so private about myself that I would just die of embarrassment and it is not because I am soo overweight. Heck I don't really like to talk to my own PCP about any of that.I love some of your responses ,the best response for me is "Are you always this rude or was that just a lapse in judgement". That said loud enough so everyone could hear would surely turn the table around on her.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's funny, but it don't understand what the big deal is. If someone asked me, I'd just answer. I don't see why it's private information.

Probably hard to understand - because you are a man. (said nicely from a mom with three sons and who is not a man hater) You also look to be in pretty great shape.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I always say "A lot less than I did before" and leave it at that
  • browingfirearms
    Options
    "I don't know, I didn't weigh myself today. What about you?"
    love your hair:heart:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry, I don't remember us being close enough for that kind of question."
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    what a rude question, I hope you didn't feel embarrassed because the person who asks that is the one who should feel like an utter tool. I only ever ask that to close friends if the topic comes up because they also have lost weight or are losing weight.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't get what the big deal is - they can see if you're fat or skinny anyway, telling them a number isn't going to change that.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been asked many times - usually it starts off asking what size I am and then they are confused so they ask how much I weigh.

I don't have a problem telling people. I am 5'10" so I guess it throws people when they hear the big numbers ...lol

I've been told I "carry my weight well" whatever that means!
  • mustlovecats
    mustlovecats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "Are you normally this rude, or was this simply a lapse in judgement on your part?"

"But to address your concern, because my life is about you, I've lost 79 lbs since I started my lifestyle change. Would you like some tips?" Then smile, not grin, but smile.

Awesome reply!
    I stumbled on a website which gave another solution
    Google "resolve this conflict" and when you find their website search for 4 magic phrases. (sorry I am not sure if we can post website links on this forum). The questions revolve around "why would you ask than?, that's interesting - tell me more" sort of responses. They work like a charm!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Y'all are a whole lot more polite than I am. I say, "Are you outcher d@mn mind? I ain't answering that."
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    How rude. I'd just say, "I weigh 219. How much do you weigh"? That ought to make them see how uncomfortable they made you feel.
  • mustlovecats
    mustlovecats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the only proper response to that, regardless of your actual weight, is to say "Oh, just take your IQ and multiply it by 4. That's how much I weigh. Oh wait... you'll need help with that...."

This is just too funny!
    Saving this one too!