Have You Ever Gotten "The Question?"

Options
124»

Replies

• michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    Okay, for starters, that's really rude of that woman to ask! Whether someone is underweight, healthy weight or overweight, like... why ask? What's it to her? That's just rude!!

Also, good job not letting it affect you and just answering. Not that you have to of course but I mean it sounds like you handled it just fine. I probably would've punched her which... is not as polite as your answer. :)
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So I work In a Pawn Shop and some one brought in A SCALE to sell. Well you have to test everything we buy. The guys I work with said hey "step on this and tell us if it works" ugh really why me. I steped on it though....and with everyone looking the numbers popped up. One of the young guys said "wow you weigh what I do....good job!" I just smiled and walked away. Sometimes you just got to let things roll right off your back!
  • Hendrixsgrandma
    Hendrixsgrandma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe saying "I have lost XX pounds, that is what you meant to ask wasn't it?"

Great job on your journey to a healthy weight!
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What about...
    "Less than I did last month and more than I will next month"

I love this. This will be my mantra. Not so much my answer but how I think about my weight.

If people ask me I tell them (thats a recent thing for me) as I figure I have to own it to change it and its pretty obvious anyways but I do hate saying the number. That said I have found myself volunteering it more often. I am acknowledging how big I've let myself get and that it is time to start moving in the right direction.

I am smaller than I was but bigger than I'm going to be next month :bigsmile: Love it
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If I ever get that question I'll reply with: I weigh ___. What do you weigh?

See how they like it. >:]
  • FooFatFighters
    FooFatFighters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I lost an un-godly amount of weight in a short period of time. Went from like over 200 to about 160 pounds, was losing something like 3-5 pounds a week. I was enrolled in The Biggest Loser website and we had a weight loss competition in there. I lost one round and was determined not to lose a second. I think people thought I was sick and came down with something bad until someone finally mustered-up the courage to ask me what was going on. I think they were relieved when I told them. It was an un-healthy way to lose weight as I was kind of starving and on a treadmill like crazy. Cardio-wise I was in good shape but I was starving all the time. Now I'm doing keto and I get to eat, lose weight and not be hungry.
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I've seen some comments that guys are not afraid to divulge their true weight because, well.. they are "guys". I guess to me, it's a matter of philosophy. I could care less what someone thinks about my weight, truly. In fact, I want to remove all doubt and speculation, so if they want to ask a brazen question, I'll give them a truthful answer. I guess I never truly understood why there seems to be a gender gap when it comes to weight and acceptance. You are where you are today, it's your choice to stay there, or improve. That truth is universal, men or women. Holding back seems to express shame and embarrassment... which I guess is valid if you are morbidly obese. But when you walk down the street, it's not like no one notices.

So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. If you feel someone is asking and it's too personal, then a curt but concise response is applicable..... Nunya...?
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't mind telling my weight or age, but in my world it's rude to ask. I got the question once at work and didn't give them the dignity of acknowledging the question.
  • tracy2beme
    tracy2beme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just this week I saw a co-worker in a meeting that I hadn't seen in months and she had obviously been taking steps to lose weight. I never would have dreamed of calling it out in public but as soon as the meeting was over I sent her an email and told her how fabulous she looked. I also asked what she had been doing to lose the weight. She responded, thanked me, and gave me her exercise program so I can look into it for myself. I then responded and told her I had more questions but she absolutely didn't have to answer. I asked how much she had lost and how long it took. I know those things can be very personal. The discussion was to compare my own progress to what she had been doing. I also volunteered what I had been doing, how long I had been at it, and how much I had lost to justify why I would even ask something so personal.

I would never ever think of asking anyone what they weigh.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I guess I never truly understood why there seems to be a gender gap when it comes to weight and acceptance. You are where you are today, it's your choice to stay there, or improve. That truth is universal, men or women. Holding back seems to express shame and embarrassment... which I guess is valid if you are morbidly obese. But when you walk down the street, it's not like no one notices.

It probably is hard for you to understand. not growing up as a female in our media obsessed world. Generally speaking - Women are judged for their looks and have ridiculous, unobtainable examples of what beauty is. It is unrelenting and begins from day one. Why do you think there are so many young girls on MFP who are agonizing because they weight 5 pounds more than a size zero and are so desperate for a thigh gap.? Striving for a perceived perfection that is never going to happen. It is good that you have a realistic view of the situation but it is a problem for alot of girls and women.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't tell a lot of people how much I weigh and the few people I do tell don't believe me that I weigh as much as I do.... Why would I lie and say I weigh more?

Once I get down under 200 I have no problems saying is I started out at x amount of pounds.... At least I didn't last time.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'd just give them the stink eye.
    I'm more afraid of The Next Question: "how did you lose the weight?" If I just say "watching what I eat and getting more exercise" then I'm afraid they'll look at me like, well, if it's so simple why didn't you just do it before?
  • kerrycork
    kerrycork Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    An obnoxious co-worker asked me that years ago. I smiled and said "Sorry, that number is classified. If I told you I'd have to kill you". And calmly walked away :wink:
  • Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm generally a pretty blunt sort of person, so if it's somebody I don't care for or know very well I'll probably say "none of your business" but if it's a friend then I have no problem telling them what I was or what I am.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I am asked occasionally and am always happy to tell because usually it's someone who thinks I weigh a lot less than I do. Some people need to know that "slim" doesn't mean that we all weigh 100 pounds wet.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I haven't had anybody ask me my weight. I've had people ask how much I've lost, which I don't have a problem answering. The lighter I am, the more I'm likely to tell people what I weigh, but if asked in a group like that there's no way I'd answer.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Definitely a rude personal question if asked by acquaintenances. There are some great replies here that I may use on some people. I have worked hard to lose weight, and happy with my progress. I would most likely answer using the current number of pounds I have lost.....
    "I am X# pounds less than what I used to weigh. And still counting down."
    This way you are sharing your success without answering the question if you consider it very private or rude. I share my personal information with good friends who are also trying to improve their health, if they ask.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    you bet. I just give them my weight "This morning it was XXX --how much do you weigh ?
  • cosmo8954
    Options
    I think I'd say "I tell you my weight if you tell me and all these other people yours."
  • bimpski
    bimpski Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I can't recall anyone asking my weight. but I do remember someone asking me if I was a lesbian, because i guess he just assumed so since i did not have a boyfriend at the time.