"Diet" Help

Options
I have been on my weight loss journey since August last year. I lost 19 lbs eating low fat/low carb and exercising 6 days a week. Then I lost 25 lbs doing Trim Healthy Mama and not exercising. I'm tired of feeling like I'm on a special diet, but I don't want to gain weight. I still need to loose about 10 lbs. I'm going to exercise about 3-4 days a week. I just don't know if there is a balance between eating healthy and not feeling deprived, and still loose weight, or maintain. I am j y t feeling lost and deprived right now.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything (food, water, exercise, measurements)?

Do you know your calorie deficiency number? There must be a deficiency if you want to lose weight.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Have you tried eating what you like in moderation while sticking to your calorie goal?

For overall health and wellness, it is important to make sure your body's nutritional needs are being met. But there's no need to do a special diet, severely restrict your macros, or eat 100% "healthy" all the time. If you want to, you can certainly eat a balanced and moderate diet and still meet your fitness goals. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I lost 19 lbs eating low fat/low carb and exercising 6 days a week.

I'm tired of feeling like I'm on a special diet

I am j y t feeling lost and deprived right now.

I am going to start a text file where I keep quotes about "special diets" like low carb.

This is going right at the top.
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have not been keeping track since doing Trim Healthy Mama because you aren't supposed too. Also a lot of the recipes aren't in MFP so it's too much work to add them in.
  • FaithHope76
    Options
    The link isn't working.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Poster put an errant period on the end of it.

Anyway, keep your calorie intake to a reasonable level and you will not gain weight. End of story.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Boo! Because that link is the single most helpful link I've ever found. Join the Eat, Train, Progress group, read the stuff there. This is definitely about sustainability long term. The sexy pants link floats around the getting started section of the forums
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I posted a thread like this earlier.

I think I'm going to try to eat more salad.

If I figure it out I'll let ya know.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Poster put an errant period on the end of it.

Anyway, keep your calorie intake to a reasonable level and you will not gain weight. End of story.

^ I'm known for errant periods. Sorry :((
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have not been keeping track since doing Trim Healthy Mama because you aren't supposed too. Also a lot of the recipes aren't in MFP so it's too much work to add them in.

It does take a little bit of time and effort to enter foods and recipes into MFP, but once they're in there, you can use them over and over again. Logging my food has worked out great for me because I can eat the way I plan on eating for the rest of my life, and I can see what a proper portion size of my favorite foods looks like. It may seem tedious, but it has been an amazing educational tool, and the only thing I have to adjust once I reach maintenance is eating more of the foods I already eat.

You just have to find a sustainable way of eating and exercising that works for you long-term.
  • FaithHope76
    Options
    Thank you: )
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The crappy obnoxious truth (at least for me) is that a lot of the "deprived" feeling is mental. If you're in the "diet" mode you automatically consider everything you're eating to be either good for you (which is boring) or bad for you (which is delicious and what you really want). You need to realize that you can eat at a calorie deficit in a way that is both delicious and keeps you full with minimal concessions to traditional diet-think. Try just tracking calories with MFP for awhile.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I just don't know if there is a balance between eating healthy and not feeling deprived, and still lose weight, or maintain. I am j y t feeling lost and deprived right now.
    The key is low calorie, high nutrient food, I.E. Fruits and vegetables. Things like watermelon, cantaloupe, romaine, tomato, cucumber, peaches, apricots, plums, pears, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes and spinach will physically fill your stomach up with bulky fiber and water, and it will satisfy your body's cravings for nutrients and sugar. That will satisfy your hunger, and make you not feel deprived, while simultaneously allowing you to lose weight. The bonus is that type of food makes your feel energized and happy, so you are more likely to be active, burning more calories.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I just don't know if there is a balance between eating healthy and not feeling deprived, and still lose weight, or maintain. I am j y t feeling lost and deprived right now.
    The key is low calorie, high nutrient food, I.E. Fruits and vegetables. Things like watermelon, cantaloupe, romaine, tomato, cucumber, peaches, apricots, plums, pears, apples, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, radishes and spinach will physically fill your stomach up with bulky fiber and water, and it will satisfy your body's cravings for nutrients and sugar. That will satisfy your hunger, and make you not feel deprived, while simultaneously allowing you to lose weight. The bonus is that type of food makes your feel energized and happy, so you are more likely to be active, burning more calories.

I guess it varies by person. Fruits and most veggies do very little to actually fill me up. Protein and fat are what make me feel full. Cucumber, lettuce, watermelon, and carrots don't make me feel energized and happy.

The real key isn't a particular list of foods someone else tells you that you should be eating. The key is to find the foods that satisfy you in terms of enjoyment and satiety while letting you hit your calorie goal. Those foods vary significantly by person. What's important is the calorie count at the end of the day. The best way to get there is a very personal thing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I can honestly say I've never felt full eating fruits and veggies. When I started losing weight I was eating hundreds of calories of fruit (no small feat) and I was always hungry. Constantly, overwhelming, cry at night hungry.

I'm only not hungry when I get a decent amount of fat and protein. Which is why my diet is mostly meat now. Mmm, meat.

But personal preference is personal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I can honestly say I've never felt full eating fruits and veggies. When I started losing weight I was eating hundreds of calories of fruit (no small feat) and I was always hungry. Constantly, overwhelming, cry at night hungry.

I'm only not hungry when I get a decent amount of fat and protein. Which is why my diet is mostly meat now. Mmm, meat.

But personal preference is personal.

Me too except not meat. Carbs and fat are where it's at (yes it rhymes. Shut up, I'm leaving it) for me.