Can someone explain Oil Pulling?

Options
124»

Replies

• TitzMcGeez
    TitzMcGeez Posts: 104
    Options
    I've been curious to give it a shot... I bought a jar of organic coconut oil to make oreo butter (YES OREO butter) awhile back, I guess now I will try!
  • FoxBean
    FoxBean Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I never tried Oil Pulling, I could not handle swishing coconut oil in my mouth for 20 mins. I do use organic coconut oil for my skin and hair. I tried it in my tea once, it did give me more energy than usual but could not handle the texture.

I'm sure it really does work for those who claim it does, not everyone is the same. I think it's odd that people get at others for something they do for their health that is alternative to others.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I know someone who does it with coconut oil - she says her teeth feel cleaner and some of the discoloring from coffee is going away, personally I can't picture myself sitting for 20 mins and doing it - I did try putting some coconut oil on a soft toothbrush and brushed my teeth with it but not for 20 minutes and sure my teeth feel smooth and clean but I guess if I continue for a while I will have a better update - can't see doing this on a regular basis though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Things do tend to feel smooth when you oil them up. Just sayin.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I like to be smooth
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    oil pulling helps with hangovers. that is all i know.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I like to be smooth

And oiled up?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anything where you have to spit it out instead of swallowing can't be any good.

^^ This
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I recently started oil pulling (5 days ago) with coconut oil. I primarily wanted to whiten my teeth, but the anti-inflamatory benefits are intriguing as well. (I've had rheumatoid arthritis since I was 10.)

The main theory seems to be that many of the harmful bacteria in the mouth have a lipid-based cell wall and swishing the oil around "grabs" them better. I do it in the morning while using the bathroom/putting on make-up/hair/etc and brush my teeth after I spit it out.

Since I started, I'm not sure if my teeth are whiter yet, but my mouth feels more moist and my teeth are definitely smoother and feel cleaner. The coconut oil is neutral in taste, so it doesn't bother me. My bathroom is cool enough that I have to wait for a moment after I put it in mouth for it to melt, and I'm sure to spit it in the trash, not down the drain.

I also found this article on the dental benefits that I found very interesting for those who are interested. It's from a dentistry forum, and not a miracle-cure-all viewpoint, so a little more reputable than a lot of what is out there.
    http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/03/how-dental-professionals-can-respond-to-oil-pulling-patients.html

Edit: I am slightly curious how many calories to account for being absorbed in the process. The goal is to spit out the oil (not swallow) but I'm sure that at least a little gets absorbed. If anyone knows, I'd like to know.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The main theory seems to be that many of the harmful bacteria in the mouth have a lipid-based cell wall and swishing the oil around "grabs" them better. I do it in the morning while using the bathroom/putting on make-up/hair/etc and brush my teeth after I spit it out.

That's not a "theory." It's "bs made-up fabricated irrational pseudoscience." Even if oil swishing somehow removed more bacteria (it doesn't), this wouldn't be the reason. That's not how physics works.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Has it been on Dr. Oz yet? if so, it's legit!! *rolls eyes
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options

That's not a "theory." It's "bs made-up fabricated irrational pseudoscience." Even if oil swishing somehow removed more bacteria (it doesn't), this wouldn't be the reason. That's not how physics works.

It's not a cure-all, but it doesn't hurt, and it did show some reduction in bacteria.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

It's not a cure-all, but it doesn't hurt, and it did show some reduction in bacteria.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408265
    It's less effective than regular mouthwash, plus it's more expensive and can cause pneumonia. There's really no good reason to do it at all.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

^^ This

you swallow your Listerine? How many calories is that? Would be blue dye (or green) not be unhealthy for your body?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

^^ This

you swallow your Listerine? How many calories is that? Would be blue dye (or green) not be unhealthy for your body?

This has already been addressed in the thread, with I don't swish it around for 20 minutes either. :wink: :tongue: :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^^ This

This has already been addressed in the thread, with I don't swish it around for 20 minutes either. :wink: :tongue: :laugh:

Twenty minutes is an unbelievable amount of time to be swishing any liquid. :noway:

My dentist has recommended 1-2 minutes.
  • emuravyeva
    emuravyeva Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bullet point #3. Click on the green text for links to the completed research.
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/open-sesame-10-amazing-health-benefits-super-seed