Need Help With My Addiction

Options
LB30
LB30 Posts: 109 Member
Summer is coming up and I'm looking to increase my summer craft beer repertoire. Any good suggestions? Preferably under 130 calories. :smile: Gotta get the fridge stocked.

Replies

• LB30
    Options
    No craft beef lovers out there?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I got some great home brew recipes. When those run out, Goose Island Harvest Ale is nice, So is their IPA. Most beers from New Belgium are great. Sierra Nevada makes great stuff.
  • SarcasticManiac
    Options
    Not sure the calorie counts, but Dragon's Milk and Arrogant *kitten* are two of my favorites.
  • LB30
    Options
    I love Goose Island. Great beers, all seasons!
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Husband brews so much good beer we rarely buy any.

If you like pilsners, to be honest Peroni is not bad - not fancy but really clean. A friend opened a new brewery in Queens so a shout out to Single Cut. There are a lot of session IPAs out there - Victory makes a decent one (unfortunately, they just do not deliver like a full IPA). West Coast IPAs (Green Flash, Hop Stoopid from Lagunitis). Sierra Nevada is always a safe bet. For a good PA brew, Troegs has Nugget Nectar as a seasonal - yum. I have been a fan of Brooklyn One. And of course PU cannot be beat in my humble slovak opinion. For something interesting, check out some of the chili pepper beers - Hot-Jala Heim Beer with Bite was very interesting as I recall.

Too many to choose from!
  • LB30
    Options
    Love Pieroni, too. Great with Old Forge (my neck of the woods) style pizza. I also love Thirsty Dog Raspberry Ale in the summer. Great suggestions. Any that anyone has are appreciated. I'm in the North East region. Our distributors can get a lot of things (sometimes West Coast things are easier than East Coast stuff, go figure). We're currently wrapping up the cold season with Peanut butter stouts...Sweet Baby Jesus and Purple Monkey Dishwasher. :drinker:
  • CarolinkaCjj
    Options
    Edit: Misread Old Forge Pizza for Old Forge brewery (in Danville, PA)
    Old Forge not only has good beer, the pickles are great! They also make an alt beer that was pretty spot on. If you ever get to the bay area, Tied House Passion Pale is in my top ten (if not at the top). All the apricot wheats etc are just poor imitations imo.
  • LB30
    Options
    LOL. Danville is about 45 minutes away from me. We just spoke with a couple last week that suggested we go there for a sampling. Old Forge Pizza is all over NEPA. Perhaps our little claim to fame based on sheer uniqueness. Have you ever tried Susquehanna Brewing Co (not sure that is Craft, exactly..) or Breaker Brewing Co.? Both in the Greater Wilkes-Barre/Pittston area.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    Options
    Need to check them out. I am in State College - folks love Otto's (myeh - under carbonated imo) and Elk Creek (again, decent but myeh) - both are very British style - not my cup of tea.
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Options
    Have you checked out Troegs in PA?
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Love me some Oskar Blues. Mama's Lil Yella Pils and Dale's Pale Ale are my favorites. Dale's has 190 calories for 12 oz, Mama's has about 160. Also like some Butternuts.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You lost me at 'under 130 calories'...
  • LB30
    Options
    We enjoy Troeggs. Do they have a summer beer? (Can't believe I don't know this answer!) We've been planning to get there on a day trip, eventually. Only 2 hours, pretty easy drive...well, by PA/ 1-81 standards, which are pathetically low. :frown:
  • LB30
    Options
    You lost me at 'under 130 calories'...

Ha! I know. Tough to do, but the summer's are often lower cal. The fall/winters are the ones that give me my extra insulation, aka winter 'coat'. Nothing like a nice, heavy stout! We're still finishing up the Chocolate Peanut Butter stouts in our fridge. Heaven in a pint glass. Oh, and the Duclaw Cocoa Fuego (chocolate/chipotle) is flippin' fabulous!!!!
  • LB30
    Options
    Not sure what Oskar Blues is. Where is it from? Not sure that is available in the NE region. But if it is good, I'll search around. I have a few connections. :wink:
  • CarolinkaCjj
    Options
    Oskar Blues is out of Colorado - you can get it in PA. Dale's Pale Ale is their big seller - it is all in cans (ahead of the curve on that).

And Troegg's has sunshine pils - better than a lot of pilsners out there (though I am a snob and think my DH pilsner is the best).
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Oskar Blues is out of Colorado - you can get it in PA. Dale's Pale Ale is their big seller - it is all in cans (ahead of the curve on that).

And Troegg's has sunshine pils - better than a lot of pilsners out there (though I am a snob and think my DH pilsner is the best).

I can get Oskar Blues in NJ as well.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind this rough rule of thumb for a 12 ounce pour: calories ~= ABV*3. That's going to put you in the 4% or lower range.

There has been a recent trend in "Session IPAs": maybe try some of those? I try to drink locally as much as possible, which is easy to do in Wisconsin, but I'm guessing most of my recommendations wouldn't be available to you in Pennsylvania.