Eating healthy, working out, but not seeing results?

Options

Replies

• LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dietitian. That's what I meant.
    Not nutritionist, but I couldn't think of if.

My starting weight was 238 at 5'4.
    My lowest weight was 160.
    After gaining some weight back, my current weight is 201.
    Which gives me a BMI of 34.78, which is considered Obese.

I'm definitely going to look into finding someone else, because it doesn't seem like she knows what she's doing... either that, or she doesn't care... and she just wants me to do whatever I have to do to lose the weight, regardless if it's healthy or not.

Yeah, that's not the kind of person you want to be working with. Honestly, you could probably ditch the professional and do your own research--you could do a lot of research in just half the time you spend doing cardio!--but if you're more comfortable having someone structure a plan with you, by all means do so. And notice that I said with you, not for you. If you have zero input, that's not okay. You should be able to have a plan structured to your lifestyle, within reason, and anyone you work with should be willing to explain to you why some things are good ideas and some things are bad ideas with regards to health, fitness, and nutrition.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    It baffles me how you could do 3.5-4 hours of cardio a day, eat between 900-1,000 calories a day and still manage to function. You are putting yourself into starvation mode. You need to log everything with accuracy. Do you own a food scale? If not I highly recommend one. They truly are a must have in the dieting world. I weigh and log everything that goes into my body, food and beverages Sorry for your hardships, I hope you figure it out.

I'm able to function, because it's what I've been doing for years.
    I've never been able to eat much food, for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, I never ate very much... I just ate the wrong kind of food, which is what eventually caused me to gain weight.

After switching to healthier foods, I just find it extremely difficult to make it to the 1200 mark.
    I feel like I'd have to be eating all day long, which is just impossible. I just can't do it.
    I absolutely love green beans, and I can usually eat an entire can at a time for a snack... which only has 60 calories in it AT MOST. 20 calories/serving.
    I feel like I'm going to vomit after eating that. It's a lot of food... so how am I supposed to get to the 1200 mark?

agree with the others that it does not sound like a great plan & you should be eating more.

As for feeling too full and not being able to eat 1200 cals, start eating some higher calorie foods. It's not hard to get a couple hundred cals in with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a few handfuls of nuts or seeds. Avocado is another good option. make guacamole or try adding a few slices to sandwiches or salads.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, I'm your height (5'3" - 5'4") and I started this journey in the 170s (so not very far off from you)

I eat 1660-2000 calories a day AFTER exercising.

I only exercise 20 minutes to 40 minutes per day. And I don't even exercise every day.

I have lost 10 lbs very steadily. I will be losing 35 more.

If your body is anything like mine, you need to exercise less and eat more. It's all about balance - there's a word: homeostasis. Your entire body needs to be in homeostasis, and then you need to surprise it a tiny bit not by depriving it of all calories, but by making small and simple changes to your intake and exercise. For example, go for a walk every day at lunch, and do a couple miles on the treadmill in the evening. You don't need to overdo it. Your body likes calories, that's why I'm losing weight, I eat what I like and stay above my minimum (which is around 1400 cals)

You should get your BMR and stay above it every day, even with exercise, don't go below the BMR.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Everything you have written here is extremely worrying. If you feel like vomiting after eating 60 calories of green beans then you require immediate medical and psychological help. Seriously. Your comments are genuinely very worrying. You cannot fix this on your own. Please value your life and seek help. Go well xx
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Too much cardio .. and not enough calories.

I am not surprised that this is a train wreck in the making. Moderation here ... like 1 hr a day of exercise is sufficient .. and eat a descent amount. As long as you have a deficit and are not starving yourself .. you will be fine.

Besides the scale is a poor indicator of true success .. so take your measurements and see how that works out and stay off the scale as you cannot obviously handle what it says. Maybe weigh like once a month.

Time for some changes. Healthy ones.
    Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    From 160 to 217 is from binging constantly from the effects of trying to consume so little. ED seems to be a good description of your behaviour thus far.......you should really see a professional, and not the one your seeing now.
  • kelsielecrone
    kelsielecrone Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It baffles me how you could do 3.5-4 hours of cardio a day, eat between 900-1,000 calories a day and still manage to function. You are putting yourself into starvation mode. You need to log everything with accuracy. Do you own a food scale? If not I highly recommend one. They truly are a must have in the dieting world. I weigh and log everything that goes into my body, food and beverages Sorry for your hardships, I hope you figure it out.

I've never been able to eat much food, for as long as I can remember. Even as a kid, I never ate very much... I just ate the wrong kind of food, which is what eventually caused me to gain weight.

After switching to healthier foods, I just find it extremely difficult to make it to the 1200 mark.
    I feel like I'd have to be eating all day long, which is just impossible. I just can't do it.
    I absolutely love green beans, and I can usually eat an entire can at a time for a snack... which only has 60 calories in it AT MOST. 20 calories/serving.
    I feel like I'm going to vomit after eating that. It's a lot of food... so how am I supposed to get to the 1200 mark?

agree with the others that it does not sound like a great plan & you should be eating more.

As for feeling too full and not being able to eat 1200 cals, start eating some higher calorie foods. It's not hard to get a couple hundred cals in with a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or a few handfuls of nuts or seeds. Avocado is another good option. make guacamole or try adding a few slices to sandwiches or salads.

That's just the thing... I have a very sensitive stomach, so I'm limited to what I'm even able to eat to begin with.

Can't eat eggs, bacon, certain types of bread, cheese (especially powdered), beef, crackers, ice cream, pop corn, and a lot of other foods.
    I just end up in the bathroom for hours on end, after I eat it.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    From 160 to 217 is from binging constantly from the effects of trying to consume so little. ED seems to be a good description of your behaviour thus far.......you should really see a professional, and not the one your seeing now.

But that's the thing... I don't binge eat.
    Even during the weight gain, I never ate more than the 1200 I was restricted to.

That's why I'm trying to figure out why I gained so much weight, in such a short period of time.
    It's almost as if my metabolism just completely quit. Like I wasn't burning anything at all.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Too much cardio .. and not enough calories.

I am not surprised that this is a train wreck in the making. Moderation here ... like 1 hr a day of exercise is sufficient .. and eat a descent amount. As long as you have a deficit and are not starving yourself .. you will be fine.

Besides the scale is a poor indicator of true success .. so take your measurements and see how that works out and stay off the scale as you cannot obviously handle what it says. Maybe weigh like once a month.

Time for some changes. Healthy ones.
    Good luck.

But I love my cardio. :(
    It's my "me" time. I just turn my iPod on, and go.
    There's no stress, and it's peaceful. I don't get much time during the day that I'm not completely stressed out, so I take it when I can get it.
    Well, that and mowing the lawn... but it's not summer yet, so that's out of the question right now. lol

I'm seriously this | | close to just eating an entire box of Mac N' Cheese for lunch or something.
    It's roughly 550 calories, so it would definitely help boost my calorie intake up.
    The only downside, is it's all carbs...
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    Everything you have written here is extremely worrying. If you feel like vomiting after eating 60 calories of green beans then you require immediate medical and psychological help. Seriously. Your comments are genuinely very worrying. You cannot fix this on your own. Please value your life and seek help. Go well xx

I feel like throwing up, because I'm full... too full.
    Not because of a mental issue, with being scared to gain weight.

Every can of green beans has 3 servings in it... which means, it's "supposed to" be enough green beans for 3 people.
    That means I'm eating 3 peoples' worth of green beans, when I eat that can.
    That's A LOT of green beans.
    It fills up a bowl to the top... actually, it almost over fills a bowl.

It's not the calories that fill you up, it's the physical amount that does it.

It doesn't matter whether it's an entire bowl of green beans (60 calories), or an entire bowl of Mac N' Cheese (550 calories), I still get full after the same amount, which is 1 bowl.

The same could be said about pizza (which is REALLY high in calories), if you could find a way to make it fit into a bowl without squishing the crap out of it.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

That's just the thing... I have a very sensitive stomach, so I'm limited to what I'm even able to eat to begin with.

Can't eat eggs, bacon, certain types of bread, cheese (especially powdered), beef, crackers, ice cream, pop corn, and a lot of other foods.
    I just end up in the bathroom for hours on end, after I eat it.

you did not mention any of the foods that i suggested, but i guess you are trying to tell me that they bother you as well. If so then find something (like the mac n cheese i see you mentioned in a later post on this thread) and eat that instead of a can of string beans. The idea is to eat foods with higher calories.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    OP, quick question, how do you know that you're consuming so few calories if you 1) aren't logging your food with a calorie counter and 2) don't weigh the food that you do eat?

Genuine question. Trying to help out here.

ETA: I may have missed answers to the above questions if they were mentioned previously in the thread. I read most of it but did skim some posts.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Every can of green beans has 3 servings in it... which means, it's "supposed to" be enough green beans for 3 people.

It doesn't matter whether it's an entire bowl of green beans (60 calories), or an entire bowl of Mac N' Cheese (550 calories), I still get full after the same amount, which is 1 bowl.

The same could be said about pizza (which is REALLY high in calories), if you could find a way to make it fit into a bowl without squishing the crap out of it.

I wasn't implying you are bulimic, but if your stomach can't hold a tin of green beans without vomiting then that is cause for concern. For medical and psychological reasons. In any event, three portions of green beans is certainly not "a lot" of food at all. In fact it's usually a side-dish I would have with a main meal. The human stomach can hold 2-4 litres of food. One tin of green beans will fill a small percentage of that capacity, which is why the problem may be psychological or medical. Just to reiterate: everything you have written in this thread is alarming, and you seem to have an extremely unhealthy relationship with food and exercise. The kindest thing you can do for your body and mind is to seek proper medical assistance as soon as possible.

ETA: You should eat that bowl of mac and cheese. The "downside" of it being all carbs is not actually a downside at all. Especially since you somehow need to fuel the ridiculous amount of cardio exercise you're doing. I suggest you eat until you are one spoonful away from feeling sick. If you do that at least three times a day you will have no problem consuming a much healthier number of calories. But please also follow the advice about professional help <3
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If so many foods are making you sick, maybe you need to figure out why they are making you sick. There is a diet called the GAPS diet that is for people who have extreme stomach sensitivities. Google it and you can see what its all about. It starts out with bone broth working your way up to other foods bit by bit so that your stomach can heal. You can always print out the information, bring it to your doctor and see if its something that would work for you. If you're seriously getting sick over everything you eat there is something wrong. If that is not something you are willing to look into, try smoothies. You can add a lot of stuff to a smoothie to up the calorie content. You could even add protein powder so that you're getting enough of that in to help build those muscles. Drinking your calories might help you get them in. As everybody else has said, that is way too few calories that you have been consuming. Your nutritionist is an absolute idiot. And for the cardio, try at least cutting it in half. There have got to be other things that you can do that would qualify as "me time." I wish I had 4 hours a day to devote to me time. I can't even have me time to exercise- my kids either bug me to death asking what I am doing or try to exercise with me until somebody gets runned over and ends up crying.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    OP, quick question, how do you know that you're consuming so few calories if you 1) aren't logging your food with a calorie counter and 2) don't weigh the food that you do eat?

Genuine question. Trying to help out here.

ETA: I may have missed answers to the above questions if they were mentioned previously in the thread. I read most of it but did skim some posts.

1. Because I use a calorie calculator, then I record everything down in my calorie intake book. I prefer physical paper over electronic recordings. If anything were to ever happen, and I forget my password, or the website/app crashes... it's gone forever. Glitches can also occur. By recording it down on paper (and making a couple of copies), I never have to worry about that. Now, I'm not saying that I don't record my calories on my phone at all, because I do... but the app just isn't linked to myfitnesspal.
    2. Yes, I weigh the food the needs to be weighed. As far as foods that have the calories already printed on the packaging, it's not necessary.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options
    If you really are eating that little, there is something else at play here. Probably some sort of medical condition. You lost a considerable amount of weight previously but it wasn't done in an overly aggressive manner that would suggest that there is metabolism issues due to a VLCD or anything like that. However, prolonged low fat intake could be messing with things a lot.

So my advice, go see a doctor. Something isn't right here and we're not medical experts.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options

I wasn't implying you are bulimic, but if your stomach can't hold a tin of green beans without vomiting then that is cause for concern. For medical and psychological reasons. In any event, three portions of green beans is certainly not "a lot" of food at all. In fact it's usually a side-dish I would have with a main meal. The human stomach can hold 2-4 litres of food. One tin of green beans will fill a small percentage of that capacity, which is why the problem may be psychological or medical. Just to reiterate: everything you have written in this thread is alarming, and you seem to have an extremely unhealthy relationship with food and exercise. The kindest thing you can do for your body and mind is to seek proper medical assistance as soon as possible.

ETA: You should eat that bowl of mac and cheese. The "downside" of it being all carbs is not actually a downside at all. Especially since you somehow need to fuel the ridiculous amount of cardio exercise you're doing. I suggest you eat until you are one spoonful away from feeling sick. If you do that at least three times a day you will have no problem consuming a much healthier number of calories. But please also follow the advice about professional help <3

Your stomach may be able to hold 2-4 litres of food at a time, but mine cannot. It has never been able to. Ever.
    Even as a kid, before weight was ever an issue. I never ate that much. I just couldn't. Not because I didn't want to, because trust me... I did, and I do. I love food. I really do, I just can't eat very much of it. The only possible way I could get enough calories in a day, is to eat unhealthier foods... which is always something I'm told NOT to do. Do you see why I'm so confused, here?
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    If so many foods are making you sick, maybe you need to figure out why they are making you sick. There is a diet called the GAPS diet that is for people who have extreme stomach sensitivities. Google it and you can see what its all about. It starts out with bone broth working your way up to other foods bit by bit so that your stomach can heal. You can always print out the information, bring it to your doctor and see if its something that would work for you. If you're seriously getting sick over everything you eat there is something wrong. If that is not something you are willing to look into, try smoothies. You can add a lot of stuff to a smoothie to up the calorie content. You could even add protein powder so that you're getting enough of that in to help build those muscles. Drinking your calories might help you get them in. As everybody else has said, that is way too few calories that you have been consuming. Your nutritionist is an absolute idiot. And for the cardio, try at least cutting it in half. There have got to be other things that you can do that would qualify as "me time." I wish I had 4 hours a day to devote to me time. I can't even have me time to exercise- my kids either bug me to death asking what I am doing or try to exercise with me until somebody gets runned over and ends up crying.

I have an appointment on the 4th, so I'll mention something about it to her then, and see what she thinks.

One thing that I noticed, is that I was losing more weight when I was still drinking pop (soda). After I cut that out of my diet, I started plateauing, but everyone told me that that's not what caused it... so I don't know. I mean, I didn't drink a ton of it, but I definitely got a decent amount of calories from it (250-300) everyday.

There really isn't anything else I can do for my "me" time, because my "me" time usually happens sometime between 10pm and 3am. I'm busy during the day, so I have to use night time for my workouts.
    So basically, I work all day, workout all night, sleep for 5-6 hours, and repeat.
  • kelsielecrone
    Options
    If you really are eating that little, there is something else at play here. Probably some sort of medical condition. You lost a considerable amount of weight previously but it wasn't done in an overly aggressive manner that would suggest that there is metabolism issues due to a VLCD or anything like that. However, prolonged low fat intake could be messing with things a lot.

So my advice, go see a doctor. Something isn't right here and we're not medical experts.

At one point in time, we had it figured out to be hypothyroidism... but I was allergic to the synthetic thyroid medication... and I couldn't afford the natural stuff, so my doctor had to take me off of it completely.
    After the weight started coming back, I was retested, and my thyroid levels came back as perfectly normal... so even that's out of the question, now.
    In fact, everything comes back as normal... so we're just a little mind boggled.
  • a_stronger_me13
    Options

I have an appointment on the 4th, so I'll mention something about it to her then, and see what she thinks.

One thing that I noticed, is that I was losing more weight when I was still drinking pop (soda). After I cut that out of my diet, I started plateauing, but everyone told me that that's not what caused it... so I don't know. I mean, I didn't drink a ton of it, but I definitely got a decent amount of calories from it (250-300) everyday.

There really isn't anything else I can do for my "me" time, because my "me" time usually happens sometime between 10pm and 3am. I'm busy during the day, so I have to use night time for my workouts.
    So basically, I work all day, workout all night, sleep for 5-6 hours, and repeat.

"what" you are eating will not affect your weight. "how many" calories you are consuming will. There is either an error in your tracking or some medical condition here. Go see a doctor. Or check your tracking. If you are eating less calories than you burn in a day, you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.