would one day a week weight lifting be worth it?

Options
akj_25
akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
i want to start lifting weights but i have many roadblocks to figure out first - so i am trying to figure out if it is completely worth it at this time.

I work night shift, i have a toddler that i have daycare for after my shifts so i can sleep for 5 hours, on my days off no daycare. the closest gym to me is 1/2 hour away. and i can't take child with to the gym or give up sleep on my days to work, so options are limited.
plus i would have to go during gym hours that have personal trainers at least to start because i am so novice at weight lifting.

i would be able to go to the gym after my last day of work but that would only be one day a week as i don't sleep much my last day anyways (every three weeks i could go two days)-
would i make much progress one day a week ??
or would i be better off continuing to focus on getting to goal weight at home and worry about strength later?

Replies

• fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I would go for it. Every little helps. You will still improve and built muscle but it will be slower.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It will def help in not losing muscle. In the mean time, check out nerdfitness.com - there's some good info on body weight excercises that will help build strength as well that you can do on days you can't make it to the gym.
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    Yes. You might get regular DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) but that isn't a "bad" thing. Make sure to do a full body workout, lots of compound movements.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    gym one day.. body weight 2 other days.... get a good program
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yep, every little bit will help with retaining muscle while losing weight. Even with weight lifting you don't have to go to the gym and there are plenty of program options for you to pick from that have exercises you can do from home. That alone will save you an hour in travel time. A mix of body weight exercises (see site listed above) with some compound movements done with dumbbells can at least give you a start. My husband trains at home with a plate dumbbell set that he can adjust for each exercise so we don't have a ton of equipment. You may be able to find a set on craigslist or a starter set at most of the sports equipment stores. Weight progression will me a bit more limited with dumbbells than with some of the compound barbell moves, but you can still make progress.

If you do want to go to the gym (I go for the equipment and some ME time), go one day a week and then do two days at home. You may find that your toddler wants to join in on the fun. My son loves to work out with me and has since he was 3.

This is what our dumbbell set looks like:
    adjustable-dumbbells.jpg

Edit to change link because you apparently can't have images from d*i*c*k*s sporting goods because they edit out the D**ks word...
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Body weight strength training The one I started with was NerdFitness.com. It has beginner and advanced work outs. It helped me transition to lifting.