Do you trust your scale?

Options
2»

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Not really. When I weigh myself, I pretty much get on and off the scale around 10 times before I confirm a weight. I move it around 3 or 4 different areas of the bathroom and place my feet on it slightly differently every time. It seems to give me very similar weights each time, but there's always one number that repeats itself 4 or 5 times. I go by that one. Obsessive, I know :tongue: lol

Quoted for truth.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I trust my mirror over my scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Not really. When I weigh myself, I pretty much get on and off the scale around 10 times before I confirm a weight. I move it around 3 or 4 different areas of the bathroom and place my feet on it slightly differently every time. It seems to give me very similar weights each time, but there's always one number that repeats itself 4 or 5 times. I go by that one. Obsessive, I know :tongue: lol

Lol, I do exactly the same (except it's in my kitchen - the bathroom floor is softer and doesn't give true weight). I jump on and off at least 4 or 5 times and shift the scale around to various spots :)

Yep, I do this too! :smile:
  • revjames
    revjames Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I put 25kg of free weights on my mechanical scal and it recorded the weight pretty much spot on. the digital recorded 25.5 so digi will be 2-4 lb heavier than the mechanical
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only one lol
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    I tested my digital scale with a free weight and it was spot on. I also have weighed myself at my home scale and compared to the medical style one at the gym and the numbers agreed. I do make sure to keep my scale calibrated and re-calibrate when I move it, etc.

Also the BF% seem to be pretty consistent when done at the same time each day.
  • leighroberts1
    leighroberts1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have electronic scales and no matter what i do i always weigh the same. i used my normal bathroom scales which say i'm 7 Lbs lighter. does my head in. i'm going to stick with normal scales now my electronic are crap. I'm working out eat very healthy and i never lose anything on electronic.
  • Pajke
    Pajke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Uhh, my scale acts up

One day I weight 4 pounds less and the other days it's just like those pounds never even existed..
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I know with my one if I stand too much to one side and not enough in teh middle it can impact on the reading.

And no, never trust the scale.

It is entirely untrustworthy.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. not really but I loved mine today since it said I lost lots of body fat and a bit of weight. Usually I think the best use for them is throwing them out a window.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I trust mine. If I step on & off it multiple times in a row it always gives me the same number. And I often weigh myself daily or multiple times a day for the heck of it [I see my scale every time I go to the bathroom & always want to play with it!] & the numbers seem pretty consistent.

When I first started using it though, I was weighing weekly on Monday morning's & got frustrated because I weighed the EXACT same amount for like 3 Monday's in a row. That third week, I decided I would weigh everyday & average them. Tuesday & every single day after, the number was consistently 4 lbs less. It was super weird, but that's what's gotten me into the habit of checking daily or every few days just to see that the numbers stay around the same. So maybe some issues people are having comes from weighing on bad days. It sure seemed to matter for me - Monday's are NOT a good day to weigh-in!
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I notice when I weigh myself, if I move the scale in different locations the result is off by like a pound. I'm not sure what to believe.
    I know it sounds silly, but this morning I weighed my self, and I was so happy. Then I moved it over since I was kind of close to the shelf and I wanted to see the results again, and it was a pound heavier. I always use the same scale every time.

I just keep mine in the same spot and weigh in the same place only once... that way I get a trend and not worry about the specific number. As long as my overall weight trend is down, I'm happy, even if it means I gain a pound or 2 during a few week time frame.
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I didn't before. But it's been quite generous in recent times, so I trust it now.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    no. not when i have to re-zero it every time i get on and off, or move a toe to the side or something. its a trending thing only. although the last 2 mornings i liked it. LOL told me i had another 2 pound loss since my last official weigh in.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I put a 5kg dumbbell on mine to make sure.
    I also get on 2-3 times in a couple spots, and take whichever weight comes up twice.
    But my scale does not alter by more than 0.4Ib from spot to spot anyway.
  • BrownEyedGirl36
    BrownEyedGirl36 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My scales are really annoying me! I have always seemed to get a range of results on them, but it seems to be getting worse and worse. For example, this morning, I weighed myself several times, following tips on letting the scale turn off the first time, putting your feet in the right place etc. The weigh ins were taken immediately after one another, and I stepped on the scales the same way each time. My lowest and highest weights varied by 14lbs! Other people in my house get the same weight each time on the scales, but I got my mum to watch me weigh in and she said I wasn't doing anything weird. What am I doing wrong?