heavy lifters: how many mins do u spend on lifting

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Did sheiko 37 equipped today. Started at 8:45am. Mobility stuff takes about 20mins. Finished squatting at 11am. Started benching, finished that at 12. Assistance stuff took another hourish, Finished at 1:15. So 4.5 hours all up today.

A typical sheiko session, non equipped takes about 2.5 to 3 hours.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Did sheiko 37 equipped today. Started at 8:45am. Mobility stuff takes about 20mins. Finished squatting at 11am. Started benching, finished that at 12. Assistance stuff took another hourish, Finished at 1:15. So 4.5 hours all up today.

*crosses sheiko off her list of programs to try*
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't have "your version" of stronglifts. there is only one version of the program, unless you're adjusting for certain injuries or limitations.
    MR says similar for starting strength.
    But then I don't want to be a power lifter specifically - so I've moved it to a three day routine and added in pulls ups and dips, both of which are specifically useful for climbing.

Maybe overall it's less effective, but it also has more focus on the areas I'm looking for.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I lift in CrossFit but I really never know what I'm going to get, so I do that 3-4x per week and sometimes it's in the workout or is the whole workout. Sometimes it's oly stuff, sometimes power lifts, sometimes both.

On my own, I usually practice oly lifts, pull ups/dips and kettlebells once per week for about 30-45 minutes and then on Saturdays I oly lift with a coach for 60-90 minutes. On my own, I also do Wendler 5/3/1 on back squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, front squats, and bench presses. Those days I also work in accessory work and some body building stuff just for looks so that's usually 3 days per week for 60-90 minutes. Essentially I lift about 5-6 days per week but it varies in time from 45 minutes to up to 2 hours if I lifted and had a lifting-centric CrossFit workout in the same day.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options

*crosses sheiko off her list of programs to try*

It's not easy but it works. I would say about 90% of people at PTC Brisbane are on a sheiko program who are preparing for nats. There are a few equipped guys who prefer Westside but they are in the great minority.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My lifting sessions are between 60-70 minutes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I train one (with the exception of shoulders and arms together) body part a day so about 30-45 mins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    upper/lower split …Monday - upper; Tuesday - lower; wens cardio/abs; thursday- upper; friday;lower…

typical work out session is about 1 hour and 15 minutes ..give or take ….

recently switched up from of strength based routine to hypertrophy …so doing 4 sets @ 8-10 rep range..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    a workout should really take no more than an hour. This includes warm up. Anything else and you're fluffing about in the gym. playing on your phone (i'm guilty of this). Watching other people lift. getting a drink, have rest breaks that are too long etc. The list goes on.

I do a modified Rippletoe Workout.

no so sure about this…

i go about 75 minutes ..and am not "fluffing" around….
  • Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Maybe 20 minutes a workout of actual lifting.... prep and warm up is about 20-30 min and cool down stretching is about 10-15
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I usually do a push/pull routine - chest/lats, bi's/tri's... try to perform 4-5 sets with 4-7 reps (depending on weight added) of 3-4 muscle group exercises. I like to rest 1-2 minutes in between. So when I'm done, I'm close to 45 minutes.
  • DrWonga
    DrWonga Posts: 20
    Options
    I spend 60-80 mins lifting 5 times a week. I try to mix up my routine to keep me motivated. i usually switch between 3x10 and 5x5 workouts. It also helps me get stronger.

-Lets do this !
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you mean by heavy....I currently do a higher volume (15-20 sets per body part) split but focus is on heavy weight, some low rep work and higher rep stuff, and intensity.

Each workout is around 90 mins. sometimes a tad more. 5-6 times a week. spend quite a bit of time between heavy sets though
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing basic strength work I'm only spending 30-40 minutes in the gym at most. I am not a big believer in assistance work and I got to my strongest level just doing 3 sets of 3 once a week for squat/DL (a squat day and separate DL day) and 3 sets of 3 twice a week for bench followed by a higher rep set. I did some upper back stuff on bench day. I don't so much warm up as just ramp up. For example when deadlifting I would just do 5x135, 3x225, 1x315, 1x405, 1x495, and then on to the worksets. The whole ramp up only takes long enough to load the plates on the bar so usually less than 5 minutes. You've got to figure out what you need for your "warm up" but I am against turning the warm up into a workout, which I've seen a lot of people doing.

I have done the smolov squat routine before too but it is brief and I can tolerate the higher volume for a few weeks. ;)
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Generally 60 mins total; but changing to 21s today so will see how long that routine will take me. Always a 10 min warmup though no matter what I'm doing.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    30-45 minutes
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    It isn't so much about the time as it is the work. I can get in and out in 30 minutes and be drenched and spent. Do circuits and intervals with little to no rest. Your heart benefits from this also. Set up stations with multiple movements or lifts and get to it. Do this with variation 4-5 times a week. Always incorporate your core (planks, or burpees are the best). Just alway be mixing it up so you do not get bored. That's my 2 cent.

If you are lifting heavy (with squats and deads) there is no need to do separate 'core' exercises. Do planks and burpees if you want, but they aren't required for your 'core'.

Edited to add that also, sweat isn't an indication of a good workout.

If it was, I'd be getting a good workout lying on my sofa in July in the Bahraini ridiculously hot and humid climate...
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I time my breaks to between 45 and 90 seconds depending on the weight and the number of reps I do (more break if it is high weights, low reps, high sets and less break if it is lower weight, high reps, fewer sets). This helps me stay on track. Assuming that for the most part my "warm up" is just incorporated into my aerobic training for the day and then usually I do a set or two at very low weight to practice depth etc, the whole shebang will take 30 mins assuming a standard 5-7 exercises per session. If I am doing circuits, I try to do something like 1min of each exercise (20 exercises) so about 3x20 mins with 2-3 minutes rest between sets.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I only have 45 minutes (from 5:30 when the gym opens to 6:15 when I need to be back at home helping getting the kids ready for school/myself ready for work, etc.). Ideally, I'd have an hour. I do the "beginners" 5/3/1 Wendler's routine. This means I have two compound lifts (around 5 sets each) and then I add just two sometimes three sets of accessory lifts (rows, close grip bench, leg press or SLDLs--typically).

It's not the lifting that is time consuming but the rest times that I need in order to be successful for the next sets. I lift with a powerlifting competition mindset. I don't typically do a long separate warm up but sometimes I'll do a set of ten bodyweight squats before a do a set of 5 with just the bar. Deadlifts I don't ever warm up for because I've found the less I do of them, the more weight I can lift :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Usually about 45min, but I can get a quick version done (squats, OHP, Pendlay, or deads, bench, DB rows) in about 25 if I am pressed for time.