Losing weight after doing nothing?

Options
So just curious if this is my body catching up to my workouts, or my muscles abandoning ship. For the last few weeks I've been at the gym every night. Every day consisted of two hours of bootcamp, kickboxing, or Zumba followed by some weight training - all supported by a 1400-1500 calorie diet.

So yesterday I crashed hard. Took the day off work and was a straight up couch potato. I'm talking I maybe hit 2000 steps on my fitbit. Woke up this morning down 1.5 lbs after expecting to be up. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Replies

• gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know any reason but I do know my body lets go of a little extra whenever I take a day off
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Weight goes up & down day to day & throughout the day. So take photos & measurements too.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    With that much exercise you should be eating 2000+ calories everyday, and would still lose weight
  • _caseyb
    _caseyb Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have been measuring once a week and I am down an inch from my hips and a quarter of an inch from my waist since last week. I understand weight fluctuates but this overnight loss put me at the lowest weight I've been in the last year.
  • duichaser
    duichaser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have been up or down 2-4 pounds in a day many times. This is not unusual. That being said, there is something to be said for a day off and I have seen this happen with me before. One thing I have heard is that when you are working so hard your body stores up because it needs it. I agree with a post above that you could be eating more if you are working out that much. It sounds counter intuitive, but you might actually lose more if you raised your calories a bit and continued your workouts.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You just lost the weight you worked for all week. Just because you didn't do anything that day doesn't mean your weight would go up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    So just curious if this is my body catching up to my workouts, or my muscles abandoning ship. For the last few weeks I've been at the gym every night. Every day consisted of two hours of bootcamp, kickboxing, or Zumba followed by some weight training - all supported by a 1400-1500 calorie diet.

So yesterday I crashed hard. Took the day off work and was a straight up couch potato. I'm talking I maybe hit 2000 steps on my fitbit. Woke up this morning down 1.5 lbs after expecting to be up. Anyone know the reasoning behind this?
    Less water retention due to lack of intense workout. Body retains water for muscle repair. No need for muscle repair so no water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The reason is because ONE DAY is only ONE DAY.